Anyone been to Barbados?...

Stockjock

I'm sure someone or other will say that this belongs under the Barbados port of call page, but my guess is that there are many who have visited Barbados who hang out here but not over there.

So with that in mind, here's my question. I'm doing an 8 day, Southern Caribbean trip out of San Juan soon and one of the many stops is Barbados. I am considering using up some of my onboard credit by doing a Barbados Rum & Brewery tour and in fact there's been some discussion of this on the ports of call page.

However, my concern is that I'll spend a lot of time inside of the distillery/brewery and will miss much of the island.

So on one hand, I'll be seeing plenty of islands and this is something a bit different. On the other hand, you'd mostly be doing these indoor tours with just a bit of beach time at the end, I believe, and I really would not be seeing much of Barbados.

With that in mind, am I missing something special by doing this in your opinion? Or might it be something fun and different to break up a trip with a port of call 7 out of 8 days? TIA!

I would suggest booking the tour. Barbados has been the worst island we have been to. The taxi service is horrible. They will not leave without a full taxi and that took us almost 45 minutes as they drove around and around the pier asking everyone if they were going to the beach. The beach vendors were like vultures. With that said, the people we talked to that went on excursions had a great time, expecially if you go to the other side of the island from where the ship docks. Go ahead and do the Rum tour you will have better beaches at the other islands.

It depends on what you are looking for. Some people aren't beach bums and are OK with doing indoor tours. We booked a catamaran/snorkeling tour that got rave reviews in the Barbados forum. We love being outside and just not interested in indoor tours. If you want a beach day, you can get a day pass at one of the resorts.

We've been to Barbados twice. The first time we went to the Boatyard (pay to get on beach) and it was memorable. Busy with average food, but the views of the ocean, the sand and water were beautiful! Gorgeous. Clean. Couldnt ask for more actually. Secondtime we went to a public beach, Accra/Rockley and didnt care for it at all. Busier then the Boatyard, mostly with folks vacationing on the island, we surmised b/c it was a public beach and no entrance fee. Food/drink, way below average. We found pout afterwards everyone hat went to Harbor Lights (Carlisle bay) absolutly loved it. Thats our experience with beaches- and as another poster said, getting a Taxi can make you crazy!

When we go back, (we;re beach people), definitely going to Carlisle Bay.

Book the excursion if you're into it!

If you decide to opt for something outdoors, my all-time favorite Caribbean excursion was the one I did in Barbados. I did a snorkel with sea turtles booked through El Tigre (not through the cruise line): http://www.eltigrecruises.com/

Very reasonably prices, most fun and helpful excursion guides I have ever had, great snorkel locations and they served a tasty meal afterwards on the catamaran with open bar. I definitely plan to book with them again next time I am in town. They even served local beer, so you might get to taste the beer you'd be sampling at the brewery tour - but while on a catamaran and after snorkeling.

We took the shuttle van into Phillpsburg and walked up to where their "parliment" building is and booked a private tour for just the wife and I to see the whole island for $70. No problems whatsoever.

If you try to book at the cruise terminal, you will sit. Just leave and no problems.

We loved Barbados BTW. Our tour took us all over the island, even over to Bathsheba on the Atlantic side to see some of the water worn rock formations, stunning.

We have been to Barbados several times and I never tire of visiting the island. There are many attractions, both indoor and outdoor to see, and, although I much prefer the outdoor attractions, I have also appreciated the indoor ones, like Harrison's Cave. You can hire a taxi at the terminal to give you an island tour or you can hire an individual who specializes in private tours and have one reserved before you arrive at the island. We've done this twice now and had a great time both times. We arranged for specific sights we wanted to see, a stop for lunch and our driver also added a couple of sights he thought we'd want to see but wouldn't know about.

I spent 5 days in Barbados (not on a cruise) and loved every minute. We did the Mount Gay Rum tour and really enjoyed it. It didn't take long at all and wasn't far from the port.

I think RCCL wants $57 to do the Mount Gay Rum tour, the Banks Brewery tour and then some beach time. Seem reasonable to you or do you think it would be a lot better/cheaper to do your own thing?

We have also been to Barbados many times and it is an absolutely gorgeous island. The water is such a beautiful color of turquoise and no matter which beach we went to, the sand was soft and white/pink.

I would really encourage you to try and fit in seeing some of the natural beauty of the island as well, even if you decide to do the tour. It really is not to be missed :)

We generally will take the local bus to a beach and spend our time relaxing but we have also visited Harrison's Caves and gone on a catamaran outing with Shasa Catamaran. The snorkeling is great and swimming with the sea turtles was a true highlight!!

Enjoy your day to the fullest.

Hi

I'm from Barbados and my mom still lives there... if you have any questions, feel free to ask...

My biggest recommendation is the Tiami catamaran... it really is amazing snorkelling with the turtles was fantastic!!!!!! Take a waterproof camera if you have one they are beautiful and they are right in front of you its amazing. Food is great and the crew are great. If you get a cruise with Kenny and Victor you will be in awesome hands... tell them Andrea says hi :)

The boatyard is a popular spot for cruisers.. its close to town and the beach has activities.

If you want to see a rum distillery... the most advanced rum distillery in the Caribbean go to Foursquare. My uncle owns it... makes, bottles and sells rum. Doorleys, ESAF, Old Brigand etc :)

My favourite beach, although its not close to the port is Dover... when asked about chairs and umbrellas ask to see Kenny he is awesome tell him Andrea sent you (yes there are alot of Kenny's)

Doing the island tour is also great.... I still do it everytime I go but I do it myself of course. The island is super safe and super small you can even rent a car for the day you wont get lost... drive til you hit water and go around the coast seriously its a small place :) I do have a family friend that goes taxi and tours as well I can give you the contact if you like. If you want a cheap tour but a good tour... for 2 people... my mother know the place inside out and can take you on a great tour.

Anyway enough rambling... try to get to the beach in some form the beaches are the best in the whole caribbean it'd be a shame to miss them.

:)

oh one more thing to all those who go.... please please please beware of the manowars in the water on the east and south east (rougher) coasts they are little blue bubble like jellyfish like organisms the blue tail (tentacle) will sting you... even if you think u are just putting your foot in the water avoid it in the rough water and always watch where you walk on the east coast (bathsheba, cattlewash, bottom bay etc) south coast like dover, accra etc are good dont worry, and west coast is like glass no problems. just want you to be safe.

It depends on what you are looking for. Some people aren't beach bums and are OK with doing indoor tours. We booked a catamaran/snorkeling tour that got rave reviews in the Barbados forum. We love being outside and just not interested in indoor tours. If you want a beach day, you can get a day pass at one of the resorts.

I agree.... the hilton has a great day pass I believe its 30 dollars US (i think) and you get use of the hotel, pool beach etc and a lunch and house drink :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just popped in on this thread to see where everyone's heading in Barbados.... Thought I'd toss in my comments from a tour we took awhile back with Silver Moon. Fantastic snorkeling catamaran -- great service -- top notch vessel and great food/drink. Recommend the 12 passenger trip even tho it's a bit more money, but the personalized attention and ability to move around the catamaran are worth it. We booked directly with Silver Moon -- not thru the cruise ship. Enjoy!!!

Hi

My biggest recommendation is the Tiami catamaran... it really is amazing snorkelling with the turtles was fantastic!!!!!! Take a waterproof camera if you have one they are beautiful and they are right in front of you its amazing. Food is great and the crew are great. If you get a cruise with Kenny and Victor you will be in awesome hands... tell them Andrea says hi :)

:)

So glad to hear Tiami is still around - one of my best days in Barbados!

• 2 weeks later...
We took the shuttle van into Phillpsburg and walked up to where their "parliment" building is and booked a private tour for just the wife and I to see the whole island for $70. No problems whatsoever.

If you try to book at the cruise terminal, you will sit. Just leave and no problems.

We loved Barbados BTW. Our tour took us all over the island, even over to Bathsheba on the Atlantic side to see some of the water worn rock formations, stunning.

Do you remember which tour operator you used?

Angeldustange- Could you tell me how far Miami beach is from the port?

I remember seeing pictures posted here before it looked very nice. I already did rockley the last time & did a island tour the time before.

Thanks

Our family will be on Barbados on July 27th and it is our wedding anniversary. We want to do something special on this day, but have never been on Barbados before. Any suggestions?

We don't really want to go the beach or snorkel, since we live on Curacao and do that all the time. TIA!

• 2 weeks later...
Our family will be on Barbados on July 27th and it is our wedding anniversary. We want to do something special on this day, but have never been on Barbados before. Any suggestions?

We don't really want to go the beach or snorkel, since we live on Curacao and do that all the time. TIA!

What type of things are you interested in? We've used a private driver our previous couple of times on Barbados to see various sights on the island and have been very pleased. The one trip I wanted to try flying fish and asked our driver to, as part of our day, to take us to a nice restaurant for lunch, and he took us to the Round House at Bathsheba. It was a very nice restaurant and the views were spectacular.

http://www.roundhousebarbados.com/ We've also done several of the attractions on Barbados, but not sure what you might find interesting.

RHouse-550.jpg

I wanted to try flying fish and asked our driver to, as part of our day,

to take us to a nice restaurant for lunch,

and he took us to the Round House at Bathsheba.

It was a very nice restaurant and the views were spectacular.

http://www.roundhousebarbados.com/

I've eaten there once or twice. The food's good! The views are great!

RHouse-534.jpg

-especially out back, but you gotta poke around a bit to see this kinda stuff..

EastCoast-18.jpg

RHouse-96.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks for this link, it looks amazing!

Does anyone have information on taxi's? Can we just approach one and go see the things we want? For example:

-Eastward drive towards Bathsheba

- Earthworks pottery in St Thomas

- Harrison's Cave

- St Nicholas Abby

- Sunbury Plantation House

For some reason we can't seem to find the island tour including all (or most) of these, since most tours focus on the beaches.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree.... the hilton has a great day pass I believe its 30 dollars US (i think) and you get use of the hotel, pool beach etc and a lunch and house drink :)

Should we contact the resort ahead of time about the day pass?

We just want to find a nice beach with chairs, umbrella, food and changing/bathroom facilities and just chill for our day there. We are beach bums and love spending the day at a beautiful beach.

Archived