Marina Shower Questions

Dmgmd50

I read on one of the boards about the showers on the Marina, including a detailed report of what one must go through to soap up and wash their hair. I assume that it would then be difficult to shave in the shower which I like to do. Is that correct?

Also are there showers and a sauna or steam room in the fitness center? Is there a charge to use the fitness center (other than the spa services)?

I read on one of the boards about the showers on the Marina, including a detailed report of what one must go through to soap up and wash their hair. I assume that it would then be difficult to shave in the shower which I like to do. Is that correct?

Also are there showers and a sauna or steam room in the fitness center? Is there a charge to use the fitness center (other than the spa services)?

Shave:

Face? If you can work in fairly small quarters and you turn off the overhead rain head (because there is not enough space to step out of the stream), then, yes.

Other parts? Nope.

Yes, there are showers in the spa you can use. Locker space is limited. There is no charge to use the fitness center though there are for-fee classes as well.

I, too, am interested in the shower situation. Is the overhead spray the only way to get water. Isn't there a hand-held shower-head on the wall?

Yes there is a hand held as well. There is an on/off valve for each. The hand held has a fairly short hose. I mostly use that as I don't like the overhead rain shower because I cannot get out of the flow. For me it is great for a few moments then feel a little trapped. As I recall it must be used to rinse off as the handheld's hose is too short to reach the top of my head. Perhaps that is the real problem - not that the hose is too short but my head is too far away. That might be why the rain shower for me feels a litte overwhelming as well.

Personally, after all of the ballyhoo about "R" class ships (which I've not been on) and their small showers, I have been informed that the Marina showers in the balcony cabins are quite similar.

I'm not a petite person by any stretch of the imagination and felt that they were very functional and appropriate. The hand held is what I used most fo the time.

Were they a little tight? yep.

Did it affect my trip? no

Would I want them to lose space in the bathroom elsewhere to make the shower bigger? heck no

Want more/pay more.

Just my 2 cents.

I worked on this for 18 days--never did figure out how to shave my legs in there. So I used the bathtub for that. Our gorgeous bathtub was sparkling and totally unused for 18 days. I was glad to find a use for it. But I loved the shower anyway.

Mom C

I have a very large shower at home and I still shave my legs in the tub. I also enjoy a good bubble bath at night so I for one am glad to have both.

Deb[/quote

As my vision has "matured" it seems I do a better job shaving my legs if I use my glasses. Thus, the tub works much better than the shower for that activity - at least it's easier and safer!

Plus, the tub also has a hand held shower head, it's just on a sort hose designed to reach all parts of the body if you are sitting in the tub, and at least your legs to rinse if you are shaving in the tub.

There was some discussion am,ong corporate folks on board about possibly installing a shower curtain ring in the tub, and a longer hand- held hose with a bracket on the wall, that would permit stand-up showering in the tub for larger persons.

The hand-held in the shower is bracketed approximately waste high but for me, it had a long enouigh hose to reach all the way above my head. But, Mark (YoHoHo) is taller than me. His head probably rubbed the rain shower head. I'm about 5'10-1/2 -- the 1/2" is important to me, because I used to be 6' before I started getting old.

I have a report from at least one corporate fellow who put down two bath mats and stepped out of the shower to soap, then stepped back in to rinse. The same thing would probably work for leg shaving, but I'm not an expert about that...:rolleyes:

All in all, as sldispatcher said, the showers are different, but not a deal breaker for me. They're working on them -- the rain shower heads will likely be replaced with the old style sliding bar shower heads on riviera, and may (emphasis on "may") find their way on to Marina at the first touch-up.

For those who hated the shower curtains on the R ships, you will love the glass door which seals very tightly and seems not to drip very much on the floor when open. However, the R ship showers are slightly longer. I never minded the curtains, and I don't mind the Marina showers. I'd be in heaven if they took out the tub and replaced it with an over size stall shower, but then I haven't taken a bath in 60 years.

For those who hated the shower curtains on the R ships, you will love the glass door which seals very tightly and seems not to drip very much on the floor when open. However, the R ship showers are slightly longer. I never minded the

I absolutely agree - the shower door is a great improvement.

Much discussion on several threads on the shower but as you and others have said, not a deal breaker.

... but then I haven't taken a bath in 60 years.

Oh, that is just tooo easy :)

I worked on this for 18 days--never did figure out how to shave my legs in there. So I used the bathtub for that. Our gorgeous bathtub was sparkling and totally unused for 18 days. I was glad to find a use for it. But I loved the shower anyway.

Mom C

Does the tub have a "pull out" clothesline that can be attached to the opposite wall, like on the "older" O ships?

Thanks.

p.s.-we thought maybe we'd use the tub to store our luggage...easier to get to at the end of the cruise then under the bed:eek:

Does the tub have a "pull out" clothesline that can be attached to the opposite wall' date=' like on the "older" O ships?

Thanks.

p.s.-we thought maybe we'd use the tub to store our luggage...easier to get to at the end of the cruise then under the bed:eek:[/quote']

Yes, there is a clothes line, but don't do both things at once or you will have soggy luggage! :D

Yes, there is a clothes line, but don't do both things at once or you will have soggy luggage! :D

So cute - but really glad to hear about the clothesline. Only 3 more days and we will be close to sailaway. So glad it's finally here and I can experience Marina myself. Can't wait to be sipping my adult beverage in the warmth of the Miami evening. Cheers!;)

So cute - but really glad to hear about the clothesline. Only 3 more days and we will be close to sailaway. So glad it's finally here and I can experience Marina myself. Can't wait to be sipping my adult beverage in the warmth of the Miami evening. Cheers!;)

Have a wonderful cruise. Marina is beautiful.:)

The hand-held in the shower is bracketed approximately waste high but for me, it had a long enouigh hose to reach all the way above my head. But, Mark (YoHoHo) is taller than me. His head probably rubbed the rain shower head. I'm about 5'10-1/2 -- the 1/2" is important to me, because I used to be 6' before I started getting old.

In my original question, I was asking about shaving my face, not my legs! I guess if the handheld shower works for someone 5'10-1/2", it will be fine for me at 5'7". Thanks for all the feedback.

p.s.-we thought maybe we'd use the tub to store our luggage...easier to get to at the end of the cruise then under the bed:eek:

Great idea to store the luggage in the tub!

In my original question, I was asking about shaving my face, not my legs! I guess if the handheld shower works for someone 5'10-1/2", it will be fine for me at 5'7". Thanks for all the feedback.

If you can shave your face without a mirror then I guess the shower head will do fine

DH used the vanity mirror at the sink to shave

They could have used the space for the bath tub and shower and created a bath/shower combo. This would have provided a large tub and shower and everyone would be happy!

I agree in general with your suggestion, but there are a few folks we encountered on board who would have difficulty getting in and out of a tub safely. I would hate to see those folks lose the ability to cruise Marina/Riviera because they couldn't bathe in a combo tub/shower.

Last time we were on the Regent Mariner we opted for a suite with a large shower rather than a tub/shower. It must have been a big hit because they transformed almost all of them to just a large shower. My husband has mobility problems after a recent stroke and finds it very difficult to get in and out of a tub so he doesn't.:) So that's definitely a consideration for choosing a ship. Thanks for all the input on showers.

I believe (but don't quote me) that the handicapped accessible rooms on the "R" ships have bathtubs. That is why when we wanted to take my BIL and SIL on a cruise (he had a stroke 10 years ago and can't use his left side) we opted for NCL rather than O. We would have preferred O (who wouldn't?), but at least they had truly handicapped accessible facilities.

I guess the standards for what was deemed "handicapped accessible" were rather different when the "R" ships were designed.

I recall reading an article about a man in a wheelchair who went to a Manhattan restaurant -- he'd been assured it was handicapped accessible.

It was ... once you got down the steep staircase!

Mura

Thank God my husband doesn't have those problems. He doesn't need an accessible room, just not a high tub. We loved the PH on the R ships but that tub was a killer even for both of us with no problems! Now it would be totally impossible. Even the shower stall on Regent Navigator is tight.

Archived