Short or Long Dress for Formal Night?

newcruiser09

It probably depends on the location and length of your cruise somewhat, but on our 11-night Caribbean this Feb, there were plenty of both long and short dresses - neither will look out of place. I didn't see many (or any) full-skirted ball gowns, but if you wanted to wear one I'm sure no one would comment.

5 night Caribbean if that helps

I've not been on a 5-nighter before, but most of the info on the boards indicate that they tend to be more casual than longer cruises. I would guess that you'll see many more short/cocktail type dresses than long ones on your cruise, but either would still be appropriate.

On my 7 night Caribbean cruise, there were many women dressed in stunning full length evening gowns. They were outnumbered by women in knee length cocktail dresses. Neither looked out of place.

When was your cruise. Just cack from a 7 night Eclipse cruise and sailed Equinox twice in 2010, one 10 night in Caribbean and one 7 night in Europe. We were surprised to see how few women were very dressed up in evening gowns. Very few on all three sailings and on each succedding cruise there were fewer and fewer men in tuxes. My guess is there would be even fewer on a 5 night cruise.

When was your cruise. Just cack from a 7 night Eclipse cruise and sailed Equinox twice in 2010, one 10 night in Caribbean and one 7 night in Europe. We were surprised to see how few women were very dressed up in evening gowns. Very few on all three sailings and on each succedding cruise there were fewer and fewer men in tuxes. My guess is there would be even fewer on a 5 night cruise.

Our cruise was in October, eastern Caribbean on the Solstice. I would say about 20% of the ladies turned out in full length evening gowns. That is more than I expected. The majority wore knee length cocktail dresses and dressy pantsuits. There were not many men in tuxedos.

Thank the airlines who charge for luggage for the dressing down on cruise ships. People pack lighter and tighter - long gowns and beaded ones weigh a lot and take up a lot of room in a suitcase. There seems to be more sports jackets on the men - less space than a suit or tux.

Thank the airlines who charge for luggage for the dressing down on cruise ships. People pack lighter and tighter - long gowns and beaded ones weigh a lot and take up a lot of room in a suitcase. There seems to be more sports jackets on the men - less space than a suit or tux.

And you don't have to pack the sports jacket or blazer. You can wear it on the plane, pack dress slacks, dress shirts and a few ties. That's how all the men at our table were dressed for formal night.

Do most ladies wear short or long dresses on formal night? Wondering if I want to do a short cocktail dress or a long, more fitted gown or a ball gown.

I don't need to look like everyone else, just don't want to stand out.

On a recent 11 night we saw women in both short and long gowns and there were also a lot of women in dressy pants outfits. I don't remember any ball gowns. The trend in general seems to be to less dressy formal nights but women on Celebrity still tend to "dress up" for dinner more than I have seen on other lines. We saw most men in suits rather than tuxes.

I think the change in luggage limits on airlines has led to less formal clothing in general on cruises. Many women wear the same outfit more than one night and I doubt that anyone notices or cares. It just isn't practical to take several gowns and the shoes and other accessories to match.

Archived