Gatun Lake, Embera Indians

bcd2010

I have this sentence in my notes: "Get up early and watch the lock entry, then once at Gatun Lake, take the HAL shore excursion to the Embera Village" - some questions about it.

Our PC cruise is RT from Fort Lauderdale, so we we be going thru the canal twice. Is the entry from both sides equally "must see?" Would we be in Gatun Lake, and more specifically take the excursion, going east or west? If we take the excursion, do we get back on the ship in Gatun Lake or do we catch up with the ship elsewhere? Anything else we should know?

We did this cruise on the Zuidy in Dec and doing it again this Dec, and you go through 4 locks into Gutan lake they will disembark passengers going on tours and then go through the same locks again, so it would be the same thing in reverse. Go on the tour. They will pick you up at Colon Panama which is outside the locks. Couple of hints, Yes do get up early, Yes do get those Panama Buns, Yes do go to the front of the ship on deck 4, Yes do bring one of those cheap ponchos with you, you are in a rain forest. Most of all, Enjoy yourself

I have this sentence in my notes: "Get up early and watch the lock entry, then once at Gatun Lake, take the HAL shore excursion to the Embera Village" - some questions about it.

Our PC cruise is RT from Fort Lauderdale, so we we be going thru the canal twice. Is the entry from both sides equally "must see?" Would we be in Gatun Lake, and more specifically take the excursion, going east or west? If we take the excursion, do we get back on the ship in Gatun Lake or do we catch up with the ship elsewhere? Anything else we should know?

so, you're doing a 20-some day cruise? sounds nice.

We did this cruise on the Zuidy in Dec and doing it again this Dec, and you go through 4 locks into Gutan lake they will disembark passengers going on tours and then go through the same locks again, so it would be the same thing in reverse. Go on the tour. They will pick you up at Colon Panama which is outside the locks. Couple of hints, Yes do get up early, Yes do get those Panama Buns, Yes do go to the front of the ship on deck 4, Yes do bring one of those cheap ponchos with you, you are in a rain forest. Most of all, Enjoy yourself

Thanks, that's very helpful. Clarification: taking the tour won't make us miss any part of the canal?

so, you're doing a 20-some day cruise? sounds nice.

28 days - longest so far (previous longest was 15-day Circle Hawaii). I really haven't got my head around the idea of being on the ship for 4 weeks, but am very excited!

Thanks, that's very helpful. Clarification: taking the tour won't make us miss any part of the canal?

28 days - longest so far (previous longest was 15-day Circle Hawaii). I really haven't got my head around the idea of being on the ship for 4 weeks, but am very excited!

I just looked up your itinerary and see that you are going all the way through both sets of locks os the information I gave you is incorrect, what I gave you was for a partial Panama Canal cruise. Sorry. but do enjoy the cruise and the Panama buns.

Check out the PC Official site http://www.pancanal.com/eng/index.html. There are 3 sets of locks not 4. Usually entering the canal from the Atlantic (Gatun Locks) you can hear the Howler Monkey's early in the AM.

you are doing a fukll transit cruise through the canal

there are no stops when you do a full transit -- no excursions

So no chance to see the Embera Indians? Oh, darn! This explains why, when I look at shore excursions for this year's transits, I can't find such a shore excursion. And it does make iriemon's post clearer. Maybe we'll do the partial transit sometime in the future.

FLACRUISER99, thank you for that link - very helpful, lots of info. Will definitely listen for the Howlers.

Just to clarify, some full transit cruises do stop in Panama and offer the Embera Village excursion. We were able to visit the village on the 20 day Inca Discovery on the Veendam in October, although we did a private tour.

Thank you - I'll watch for it. I'll be on the Statendam, so maybe...

Edit: I double checked and we're in Panama 6 pm to 4 am - seems unlikely they'd run this tour at night.

i was looking at your itinerary

on the part from ft lauderdale to san diego -- it clearly states "cruising only" -- thus no stops

sailing from san diego -- you arrive at amador at 6 pm -- when we stopped there that late -- only a couple of tours into panama city itself were offered -- the tenders were pulled up between midnight and 1 am as the ship has to get in line around 4 am to begin the transit through the canal -- again no stops in the canal

so i will be curious as to how a tour to do the embera indians can be offered

We did the tour to the Embrera Indians, but it only happens on the partial transit. You go through the locks into Gatun Lake on the cruise ship and then tender to the pier and go by bus for about an hour and then by dugout canoe for about 20 minutes to get there - same thing for the return trip, except you are driven back to Cristobol or Colon. The ship, during this time turns around in Gatun Lake and goes back out through the same set of locks that it came in through. If you do the excursion, you miss going back through the locks and pick up the ship on the Caribbean side.

I guess ours was a special case since we were a rescheduled stop. I was on the Statendam from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale and back mto San Diego and they did offer it from Panama City on the way out... but we had to skip another scheduled stop earlier due to Easter ..this was not the regular itinerary. Too bad since that is a really fun excersion.

Susan

you are doing a fukll transit cruise through the canal

there are no stops when you do a full transit -- no excursions

That is not true. We are doing a full transit next year and the excursions are already listed.

guess hal is changing things -- we have done 5 full transits on hal alone and there were no stops except for the one i mentioned in another post

So, you have done 5 full transits and have never set foot in Panama on any of them.

These are listed so far for our April 2012 cruise. I was surprised anything would be available so early. Note that these are for Fuerte Amador, Panama.

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Authentic Embera Indian Village ($119.00)

Step aboard your motor coach which will feel more like a time machine as you travel back more than 600 years to a Central America only a few ever experience. This is a journey into the lives of the Emberá Native Tribe—a proud people who maintain their traditions and lifestyle as it was before the Spaniards colonized Panama. A knowledgeable guide will give you an overview of Panama on the way to the jungles of the Central Region and share the history and customs of the Emberá Natives who are the keepers of the rain forest and the Chagres River. When you arrive at the Chagres National Park, you will leave the comfort of your vehicle to board a dug-out canoe that will take you to the Emberá village. Although far from luxurious, the dug-outs are sturdy craft which were critical in the conquering of the jungle and in establishing supply lines for both Natives and Spaniards. After motoring up river, you will see the village emerge from the jungle as if by magic. Keep your eyes open along the way, as the region offers abundant wildlife that is particularly active along the rivers edge. In the village, the Chief will welcome you with traditional Emberá hospitality. A series of dances have been arranged to add to this cultural exchange. Feel free to wander through the village, ask questions and interact with these quiet people. As you will be guests in their home, a common sense approach and sensitivity to their privacy is appreciated. The Emberá people are spectacular craftspeople and produce beautiful items available for purchase as souvenirs or keepsakes of this unique experience.

Notes:

Wildlife sightings are likely but are not guaranteed. There are no restrooms on the boat. Restroom facilities are limited and basic throughout the tour; at the Embera Village only latrines are available. Boarding local canoes requires only a minimum of dexterity and flexibility. The landing consists of a rudimentary "put in" that lacks handrails or proper steps. Many hands will be available to assist, however guests will be required to step up into the vessel.

Departure Times:

8:00 AM

Duration:

Approximately 7 Hours

========

Colonial Panama by Night ($74.00)

Panama is best known for its spectacular canal, considered by many the Eighth Wonder of the World. Few know of the amazing history of glory and tragedy that shaped this country, once known as the Pearl of the Pacific. Here’s your chance to discover tales from gallantry to piracy that wait in the narrow streets of Colonial Panama in the Casco Antiguo. It is a city with a story like no other and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A scenic, get-acquainted excursion will drive you through the streets of Colonial Panama, founded in 1673 by French colonists. Over the next 200 years the city experienced many changes, evident in the architecture which represents a wonderful blend of French, Spanish and Italian styles. The ruins of the churches and convents, colonial palaces, bridges and military buildings attest to the grandiose past of this city. A brief stop in the old center provides an encounter with Panama’s history. Continuing with your tour, you will have the opportunity for a photo stop at the Administration Building. After December 1999 when the administration of the canal was returned to Panama, this zone was seemingly silent. Today, the former Canal Zone area is very much intact and is like a time warp back to the days of American administration.A site not to be missed is the spectacular Panama Sky line, which you will be able to enjoy from the New Boulevard in the center of the City.

Notes: This tour is only available on evening sailings due to the very hot climate of Panama. Buses use tinted windows to avoid the heat during the day and the lack of light during the evening will prevent clear view from inside the bus.

Departure Times:

6:30 PM

Duration:

Approximately 2½ Hours

=============

Eco Cruise & the Locks on Gatun Lake ($99.00)

This specialized tour will focus on three essential elements surrounding the Canal and its hinterland—culture, history and ecology. Prior to the construction of the Panama Canal, the vast jungle area that is now Gatun Lake was teeming with an overwhelming abundance of wildlife. As the region was flooded to create the lake, animals took refuge on the mountain peaks, which are now the many islands that dot the renowned lake. With your interpretive guide you will slowly cruise the back channels, island and bays that make up this unique ecosystem. Glide past lush rain forests to a secluded region of the lake and witness firsthand the splendor and excitement of the jungle. Exotic birds, monkeys, sloths, iguanas, and crocodiles are just a few of the animals that you might see in their endemic habitat. The sights, sounds and scents that make up this beautiful, tropical jungle will engulf you. Cameras are a must as this is considered one of the world’s premier locations for viewing monkeys and other animals in the wild. Before or after your cruise on Gatun Lake, you will have the opportunity to visit the Gatun Locks—the largest and most important of the three sets of locks on the Panama Canal.

Notes: Wear sunscreen, a hat and sensible shoes. Wildlife sightings are likely but are not guaranteed. There are no restrooms on the boat.

Departure Times:

8:45 AM

Duration:

Approximately 5¼ Hours

==================

Miraflores Locks Observation Center ($69.00)

Take this opportunity to pause and view the gargantuan ships that make their way through the Miraflores Locks’ chambers and to visit exhibitions which include historical objects of Canal operations, interactive modules, video presentations, and models of the Panama Canal. Four exhibition halls, organized by theme, constitute the heart of the Miraflores Visitors Center: Hall One portrays the background, technological innovations, and sanitary initiatives that went hand in hand with the construction of the Canal. Hall Two emphasizes the importance of water, conservation of the environment, protection of the Canal watershed, the diversity of fauna and flora and sustainable management. Hall Three depicts in an entertaining manner how the Canal operates and offers a navigation simulator through one of the lock culverts. Hall Four provides information on the importance of the Canal to world trade and identifies the main commodities and types of vessels that transit the waterway. The return route will take you past the former Panama Canal Zone where the military installations of the American administration are a gentle reminder of the strategic importance of the area. Today the former PCZ is very much intact and is like a photographic image of what the days of the American Administration once were. Then, head back to the ship, filled with knowledge and history that will make your canal transit far more interesting.

Notes:

Depending on canal scheduling, you may or may not actually see vessels in the lock chambers.

Departure Times:

8:15 AM

Duration:

Approximately 3½ Hours

================

Miraflores Locks by Night ($79.00)

Pause and view the gargantuan ships that make their way through the Miraflores Locks’ chambers and visit exhibitions, which include historical objects of Canal operations, interactive modules, video presentations, and models of the Panama Canal. Four exhibition halls, organized by themes, constitute the heart of the Miraflores Visitors Center: Hall One portrays the background, technological innovations, and sanitary initiatives that went hand in hand with the construction of the Canal. Hall Two emphasizes the importance of water, conservation of the environment, protection of the Canal watershed, the diversity of fauna and flora and sustainable management. Hall Three depicts in an entertaining manner how the Canal operates and offers a navigation simulator through one of the lock culverts. Hall Four provides information on the importance of the Canal to world trade and identifies the main commodities and types of vessels that transit the waterway. Continuing with your tour, you will have the opportunity for a photo stop at the Administration Building. After December1999 when the administration of the canal was returned to Panama, this zone was seemingly silent. Today, the former Canal Zone area is very much intact and is like a time warp back to the days of American administration.

Notes: Depending on canal scheduling, you may or may not actually see vessels in the lock chambers. This tour is only available on evening sailings. Due to the very hot climate of Panama, motor coaches have tinted windows to counter the heat of the day. Low light levels, typical of evening, will mean that viewing from the coach is somewhat limited.

Departure Times:

6:00 PM

Duration:

Approximately 3 Hours

=========

Panama's History in Dance ($99.00)

Nothing evokes the tropical lush Panama basin than the vibrant colors and cheerful people you’ll encounter this evening. Rhythm and soul are in sync as you enjoy Panama's history depicted through dance. You’ll anchor at Flamenco Island, which boasts a rich and proud US Military History. It was formerly known as Fort Grant named in honor of President/General Ulysses S. Grant. Fort Grant and Fort Amador were originally designed as defense sites to protect the Pacific entrance to the canal. Your evening extravaganza will take place at one of the leading hotels in Panama City. As you enter this venue, note the warmth of the colors and the strength of the walls as the beautiful Panamanian ladies greet you in their stunning, hand-embroidered, national dress known as La Pollera. You’ll watch a delightful folkloric presentation of colorful dance—a potpourri portraying the most important aspects of the historical shaping of Panama, from the arrival of the Spaniards to the construction of the canal.

Notes: Due to the very hot climate of Panama, motor coaches have tinted windows to counter the heat of the day. Low light levels, typical of evening, will mean that viewing from the coach is somewhat limited.

Departure Times:

6:45 PM

Duration:

Approximately 3 Hours

=======

The Shaping of Panama ($74.00)

Panama is a country whose name is utterly inseparable from the image of the canal that changed the world considered by many to be the Eighth Wonder of the World. Yet the other Panama is just as interesting, with an amazing history of glory and tragedy that has shaped this country that was once known as the Pearl of the Pacific. Old Panama the original European settlement was founded in 1519 and destroyed by the infamous Welsh Captain Henry Morgan in 1671. This scenic, get-acquainted excursion takes you to see the ruins of the churches and convents, colonial palaces, bridges and military buildings that attest to the grandiose past of Old Panama. You will drive through the streets of the old French Quarter of Panama City, founded in 1673 by French colonists. En route along the coastline to El Casco Antiguo and the narrow streets of Colonial Panama, you ll hear tales of the extraordinary gallantry and shocking piracy that kept the inhabitants in a state of constant high alert. Visit the beautiful vaulted promenade of Las Bovedas, and the French Plaza that pays homage to those who built the Panama Canal. A number of old houses and other senescent monuments can be found in the downtown district. Appreciate the unique architecture, influenced by a wonderful blend of French, Spanish and Italian styles and you will return to the ship with a wonderful overview of intriguing Panama, old and new.

Notes:

Photos of the National Theatre, the cathedral and the Church of the Golden Altar (left intact by Morgan when he sacked Panama City) can be taken from the coach.

Departure Times:

9:15 AM

Duration:

Approximately 3½ Hours

the only time we have been able to get off the ship in amador was when we did 2 pan american cruises -- one time we got to amador early enough in the afternoon to do the city tour -- the other time we got there around 6 pm -- only a couple of tours were offered to the city and night club

now please explain something to me -- i see that the embera tour is offered -- departs from the ship at 8 am -- how is this possible if the ship doesn't arrive at amador until 6 pm -- and then lines up around 4 - 5 am the next morning to get ready for the transit?

as i explained in a previous post our tenders were pulled u between midnight and 1 am

These are listed so far for our April 2012 cruise. I was surprised anything would be available so early. Note that these are for Fuerte Amador, Panama.

There are no Shorex for my cruise in March next year - which date and ship will you be on?

KK - it is my March cruise that is in Panama from 6 pm to 4 am - maybe the April one is different.

the only time we have been able to get off the ship in amador was when we did 2 pan american cruises -- one time we got to amador early enough in the afternoon to do the city tour -- the other time we got there around 6 pm -- only a couple of tours were offered to the city and night club

now please explain something to me -- i see that the embera tour is offered -- departs from the ship at 8 am -- how is this possible if the ship doesn't arrive at amador until 6 pm -- and then lines up around 4 - 5 am the next morning to get ready for the transit?

as i explained in a previous post our tenders were pulled u between midnight and 1 am

We arrive at 6:00AM (not 6:00PM). Departure is at 4:00AM the next day. This is on the Veendam.

Archived