Not looking good for Galveston 2012

Those ships are making money hand over fist? No price drops are needed to fill all those ships in Europe? :confused: Have you even checked prices in Europe lately? Prices are cheaper in Europe than they are in the U.S.

Here, I checked prices for both the U.S. and Europe for this July. Prices have dropped for just about every ship in Europe since I last checked about a month ago. Prices have gone up for Serenade from San Juan since I last checked. (as well as for Enchantment and Explorer.)

Minimum prices per person for July; rounded up to the nearest 10th:

UNITED STATES / N. AMERICA........... EUROPE / MEDITERRANEAN

NINE (9) NIGHTS: ................................ ELEVEN (11) NIGHTS:

Explorer of the Seas... 2,090 ............... Splendour of the Seas... 1,300

Enchantment of the Seas... 1,280 ........ Mariner of the Seas... 800

SEVEN (7) NIGHTS: ............................. SEVEN (7) NIGHTS:

Allure of the Seas… 1,150 ................... Liberty of the Seas... 1,000

Oasis of the Seas… 1,100 ................... Mariner of the Seas... 900

Serenade of the Seas… 1,050 .............. Navigator of the Seas... 900

Freedom of the Seas… 1,000 ............... Grandeur of the Seas... 810

........................................ .................. Vision of the Seas... 760

FIVE (5) NIGHTS: .................................Voyager of the Seas... 720

Enchantment of the Seas… 1,010 ......... Adventure of the Seas... 700

Explorer of the Seas… 970

Dylan, you have to look at the bigger picture here. Europeans generate more revenue on board than Americans do on Caribbean cruises. BTW, is that figure for an inside cabin in July on the Explorer correct? $2,090 ?? Enchantment for 5 nights is $1,010?

I'm still sticking to Galveston cruises. Love not flying :D The cost of airfare would put us at approx. one cruise every.. well i don't know how long :eek:

The RCCL execs know more than you do. If they weren't making money in Europe they wouldn't have so many ships there.

Actually, this isn't 100% true. All of the mass-marketed lines based in the US left ships in Alaska until this year because last year's forecasts and the year before were way higher than the real Alaskan revenue. When there are economic changes or travel trend changes, it takes a year or more for them to be able to move /itineraries to catch up to the changes. Several ships that were in AK last year are in Europe this year. Prices for AK are a little higher this year, and a little lower in Europe compared to last year's prices. Supply & demand are one of the reasons. But, the economy in Europe is drastically different than it was when they decided to move all those ships, and this has played a hand in pricing as well.

Because vacation travel is 100% descretionary, the market is very liquid and everyone scrambles to get their piece of the shrinking pie (when economies are hurting).

My point in a previous post is that Texas and Oklahoma both have among the strongest economies and the lowest unemployment rates across the country, and their people have more descretionary (%-wise) to spend on travel than many on either coast.

First of all, the NCL Sun, Disney Magic, and Disney Fantasy also have 7 night PC cruises.

Second, you stated "Nothing out of Galveston goes to the Bahamas." Not true. The Carnival Conquest goes to Nassau and Freeport (which they refer to as their "Eastern Caribbean" cruise:confused:).

I've booked our fourth Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston, and it's worth it to us to avoid the airlines, even though it takes us two days to drive. I do wish they'd vary their itineraries. Carnival goes to Bahamas and Key West, so we know it's possible in seven days.

I don't understand why the ships return to Europe at all. If a ship doesn't need dry dock, it would make more sense to have them spend the winter in the Bahamas & Caribbean, and the summers in New England, Canada & Alaska.

I don't understand why the ships return to Europe at all. If a ship doesn't need dry dock, it would make more sense to have them spend the winter in the Bahamas & Caribbean, and the summers in New England, Canada & Alaska.

Apparently right now it is more profitable for them to cruise out of Europe. They will go to wherever is the most profitable.

Apparently right now it is more profitable for them to cruise out of Europe. They will go to wherever is the most profitable.

Right on!

I fully understand the desire of those living close to a port to have as many cruise options as possible, but honestly anytime I read threads like this I think what´s so hard to understand that a cruise line is a business and has to follow the money and not some personal desires?

I have also a question to the posters strongly asking for a year round ship in Galveston like TexasTenn - How many cruises on average per year (out of Galveston) are you taking?

I have also a question to the posters strongly asking for a year round ship in Galveston like TexasTenn - How many cruises on average per year (out of Galveston) are you taking?

Carnival has 2 year around ships here which are consistently full. It is a matter of having choices.

Hopefully supply and demand will dictate the market here as there is a strong demand but minimal supply.

Carnival has 2 year around ships here which are consistently full. It is a matter of having choices.

Hopefully supply and demand will dictate the market here as there is a strong demand but minimal supply.

Fullness of the ship is only part of the picture. As another poster pointed out, European cruisers spend more onboard, which is a huge part of the equation too.

Right on!

I fully understand the desire of those living close to a port to have as many cruise options as possible, but honestly anytime I read threads like this I think what´s so hard to understand that a cruise line is a business and has to follow the money and not some personal desires?

When our daughter was in school, all the cruises we took were in July. Some families only like to cruise in the summer when their kids, and they themselves, if they teach, have more than a week off from school.

Now that our daughter is out of the house we love to cruise in Jan. Lower rates, better weather and may I say less kids on the ship. We now have that option. Other families, don't. I would however be open to a summer cruise if the itinerary and price were right. Would love that option in Galveston.

Right on!

I usually take 1 or 2 cruises out of Galveston each year with "grown ups". I also take at least 1 each year out of Florida with my grandkids....I may now change this to Galveston because of Magic....this being said I still prefer Royal but my grandkids cannot be taken out or school and I do not really like spring break cruises.

At this time in my life and after 30+ Caribbean Cruises, I cruise the ships not the ports and would really like a variety of ships as we had in the past.....I know you can't always get what you want, but I really hate the hassle of flying!

What I noticed the only people who are upset are people who can drive Galveston.

If you have fly u want the place that is close to the port and has a lot of flights in and out so for 99% of the people Florida is the best place to fly into.

As for the Carribean cruise I can see do a southern cruise but beside that I rather do a All inclusive resort as it is usually much cheaper once you count the brooze and flight

What I noticed the only people who are upset are people who can drive to Galveston. If you have fly u want the place that is close to the port and has a lot of flights in and out so for 99% of the people Florida is the best place to fly into.

Precisely as I quoted above ... thanks for getting this thread back on track ... again!

"Galveston is a terrific option for those of us who can drive to the port. Vacationers lucky enough to be able to fly into Hobby can also take advantage of cruising out of there. Because of its limited logistics and itineraries, its appeal is relatively narrow ... but that's OK. One ship year-round is about all the traffic will bear. Bringing in others for the winter season has proven sccessful ... so much so that Princess will be returning in 2012. The likelihood of another year-round ship sailing out of Galveston is remote at best. Everyone's making money right now ... it ain't broke, so they're not gonna fix it."

Dylan, you have to look at the bigger picture here. Europeans generate more revenue on board than Americans do on Caribbean cruises. BTW, is that figure for an inside cabin in July on the Explorer correct? $2,090 ?? Enchantment for 5 nights is $1,010?

I'm still sticking to Galveston cruises. Love not flying :D The cost of airfare would put us at approx. one cruise every.. well i don't know how long :eek:

LOL, sometimes the old adages still apply, such as ‘children should be seen and not heard’. :rolleyes: Something that is being left out in this Europe/Galveston comparison is the ship sponsored tours. Last article I read should that 85% of the passengers on European cruises use ship’s tours (probably out of fear of being left behind) and the tours in Europe average over $100 a person. That is a huge money maker for the cruise lines. This is a business and it is not by accident RCCL has so many ships going to Europe during the summer.

Something that is being left out in this Europe/Galveston comparison is the ship sponsored tours. Last article I read should that 85% of the passengers on European cruises use ship’s tours (probably out of fear of being left behind) and the tours in Europe average over $100 a person. That is a huge money maker for the cruise lines. This is a business and it is not by accident RCCL has so many ships going to Europe during the summer.

You bet ... that's exactly what we did on our transatlantic, and for the reason you stated. We never book excursions through the cruise line, but figured that it would be the more prudent thing to do. They did cost a bit, although we felt that they were worth it. As others have noted here, it's all about following the money.

You bet ... that's exactly what we did on our transatlantic, and for the reason you stated. We never book excursions through the cruise line, but figured that it would be the more prudent thing to do. They did cost a bit, although we felt that they were worth it. As others have noted here, it's all about following the money.

For our Western Mediterrean cruise we were luckly enough to connect up with a great group of people that were experienced with getting private tours so we did that for all the ports. But for 5 port stops it was still almost $800. I priced comparably ships's tours and we would have been at $1100. In Europe they have ship tours for Rome that run as high as $345 per person, and those buses do not run empty. :rolleyes:

lol yes, galvesonton is a popular port, even if its beyond your understanding. I dont care which RCL ship, just so it is RCL.

I think we all dont like to see another port who wants a ship, because it might mean one less for where you are or want to cruise out of.

I'm not even saying it might not be a popular port, and trust me I do have some understanding, thank you. But the serenade southern carib itinerary is, I would strongly bet, a more popular choice with anyone who is not within driving distance of galveston. Which is the majority of the people who may cruise. There are lots of eastern/western itineraries out of a lot of ports. So the southern itinerary is a nice change for all the people who want to do something else, rather then add in yet one more eastern/western route for the sake of people out of the texas area. And hate to say it, but if it was THAT popular a port, there would be a ship there. Someday there may be, but I hope it's to take one off the regular eastern/western route elsewhere rather then lose a different choice to do things. (I would say the Radiance if I would pick one, granted that would not make the Tampa people happy)

lol yes, galvesonton is a popular port, even if its beyond your understanding. I dont care which RCL ship, just so it is RCL.

I think we all dont like to see another port who wants a ship, because it might mean one less for where you are or want to cruise out of.

Somebody at RCL headquarters crunched the numbers and came up with a different conclusion. If they could make more money keeping a ship in Galveston year round, than sending the ship to Europe, they would have done it. They must not have been able to fill up enough cabins in the summer time.

It is not just Royal either. I was looking at booking a Princess Cruise again for this fall, and there is nothing left that does 7 days in the Caribbean until November.

Who knows, in a few years the tide may turn and everyone wants to sail the Caribbean in the Summer again and the lines will bring back the ships.

The Serenade is leaving the southern route. In the USA today article it is the 13th ship going to Europe for the summer cruising season.

I just want something in Galveston in the summer that is RCCL, even if it is Majesty or a Celebrity ship.

"Lord hear our prays, Amen"

The Serenade is leaving the southern route. In the USA today article it is the 13th ship going to Europe for the summer cruising season. I just want something in Galveston in the summer that is RCCL, even if it is Majesty or a Celebrity ship. "Lord hear our prays, Amen"

Prayers vs. profits ... if you were Adam Goldstein, which would you choose? There's nothing complicated about it ... Europe is the hot market right now, and following the money is the only sound business decision in this case. The cruise industry is highly competitive ... and to leave millions for Carnival, Princess, NCL, MSC, Costa, HAL and others to gobble up makes no sense whatsoever. Of course, all this could change (and probably will ... just when is anyone's guess), but until such time as the ships begin to sail half-empty out of European ports, any deviation is unlikely. So ... you have two options: take it (Carnival) or leave it.

I just don't think that RCCL is interested in taking the "Carnival" approach in Galveston.

Lets face it, Galveston normally attracts a largely "drive to, budget oriented" clientele. That's the reason why Carnival is increasing their presence in Galveston so much. They can deliver a cruise experience at budget prices and still turn a profit. RCCL can't charge the same prices as Carnival and turn a profit, so the logical thing is to only have a ship there when they can charge fares that will make money.

With the arrival of two larger, year round ships, Carnival will need to fill up this surplus of cabins. Prices will probably come down even more. I doubt that RCCL will want to even bother competing with that...

I just don't think that RCCL is interested in taking the "Carnival" approach in Galveston. Lets face it, Galveston normally attracts a largely "drive to, budget oriented" clientele. That's the reason why Carnival is increasing their presence in Galveston so much. They can deliver a cruise experience at budget prices and still turn a profit. RCCL can't charge the same prices as Carnival and turn a profit, so the logical thing is to only have a ship there when they can charge fares that will make money. With the arrival of two larger, year round ships, Carnival will need to fill up this surplus of cabins. Prices will probably come down even more. I doubt that RCCL will want to even bother competing with that...

You bring up a major point ... they are indeed two different experiences, although one isn't necessarily better than the other. Last time I looked, Carnival was the largest (and a highly profitable) cruise line. Mr. Arison and company tend to take more risks ... some work (sailing out of Charleston, SC), others don't (non-smoking ship), and some do OK for a while (Mobile, AL). I've done comparisons while looking for a Galveston cruise, and didn't really notice a huge difference in price, except for early booking and non-refundable options (again, pushing the envelope). The prices seem to fluctuate more than RCI's (kinda "Ya snooze, ya lose."), and we actually got a better deal on the Voyager for our January cruise. It's got everything to do with numbers ... and there simply aren't enough takers to support two larger year-round seven-night itineraries. As you noted, most people drive to the port. Carnival's probably banking that there are about 600 more, though, since the Magic holds that many additional passengers. They are indeed different products, although that seems secondary to the number of Galveston cruisers.

Just for fun I went into the Carnival website and found a balcony cabin on the Magic sailing a week after our Mariner cruise in Jan. and it's basically the same price when comparing same category, same deck. I'm an RCI gal but would sure love to cruise a new ship. I have no desire to cruise on Disney but would love to give Princess a chance :p NOW I have that option ;)

All anyone is saying from Texas, OKLA, and surrounding states it is nice to not have to fly to Florida every year for a summer RCCL vacation......I have been 3 years in a row to PC for Freedom because we love her.......in March for Spring break I booked a last minute cruise on OASIS for 899/person just so they could fill her up.....never have I booked out of Galveston that cheap at Spring break, or summer.....due to supply and demand......MAGIC will be full and sail all summer full.......the ones of us who like variety just ask for a summer RCCL ship.....doesnt look like it will happen so next June-July a group of 12-18 of us will have to do Magic....no biggie just asking.....I am glad Europe is booming but US cant fly over to Europe as cheap as we could go to Florida or San Juan........I would think with losing California it could help RCCL in Texas (Galveston) market as well, suppose we will never know, I like a lot of folks my wife works for School district and we cant just jump up and go in fall or winter........We were just hoping, but Carnival or Princess will get my money for next summer.....

All anyone is saying from Texas, OKLA, and surrounding states it is nice to not have to fly to Florida every year for a summer RCCL vacation......I have been 3 years in a row to PC for Freedom because we love her.......in March for Spring break I booked a last minute cruise on OASIS for 899/person just so they could fill her up.....never have I booked out of Galveston that cheap at Spring break, or summer.....due to supply and demand......MAGIC will be full and sail all summer full.......the ones of us who like variety just ask for a summer RCCL ship.....doesnt look like it will happen so next June-July a group of 12-18 of us will have to do Magic....no biggie just asking.....I am glad Europe is booming but US cant fly over to Europe as cheap as we could go to Florida or San Juan........I would think with losing California it could help RCCL in Texas (Galveston) market as well, suppose we will never know, I like a lot of folks my wife works for School district and we cant just jump up and go in fall or winter........We were just hoping, but Carnival or Princess will get my money for next summer.....

I think CCL will be the only cruiseline that sails summer months from Galveston. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think CCL will be the only cruiseline that sails summer months from Galveston. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep ... as I noted above, only Carnival sails year-round from Galveston ... and that won't change through 2013, as far as the schedules show right now.

Archived