Not looking good for Galveston 2012

Based on the USA today story about them uping more ships now 12 to Europe for 2012 and Mariner already is on that docket, I guess we will still be waiting for a year round cruise ship from RCCL.

The Serenade would have looked nice sitting in Galveston on Saturdays or Sundays during the summer.

The heads of RCCL will hopefully hear our prayer one day!

Based on the USA today story about them uping more ships now 12 to Europe for 2012 and Mariner already is on that docket, I guess we will still be waiting for a year round cruise ship from RCCL.

The Serenade would have looked nice sitting in Galveston on Saturdays or Sundays during the summer.

The heads of RCCL will hopefully hear our prayer one day!

I'm thinking that outside of the texas area, not many people would pick Serenade in Galveston over it's current location. No offense to people there of course, but do we need yet another western/eastern itinerary?

I'm thinking that outside of the texas area, not many people would pick Serenade in Galveston over it's current location. No offense to people there of course, but do we need yet another western/eastern itinerary?

For summer? Yes, that would be popular. We sailed on Conquest once, and I don't think I can get DH on another Carnival cruise. Galveston is a pretty easy drive for us, and we'd love to do it in the summer.

Good points ... and given that Carnival is bringing in a brand-new ship to sail year-round (capacity 3600 or so) that should take care of any other cruise line even considering going head-to-head with the Magic. The point is simple ... the vast majority of Galveston cruisers drive to the port (it isn't the easiest place to access by air), and the itinerary is ordinary at best. There just isn't the business to support two ships for a full year. Right now, the summer money is in Europe and Alaska ... that's where the cruise lines make a quick killing. There is, however, much demand during the winter season, as evidenced by Princess returning for four months in 2012.

For summer? Yes, that would be popular. We sailed on Conquest once, and I don't think I can get DH on another Carnival cruise. Galveston is a pretty easy drive for us, and we'd love to do it in the summer.

Unfortunately, you're in the minority. Those of us who have to endure the heat of summer down here simply don't want to vacation in a place that's even hotter ... went to Mexico one September; never again! If anything, we'd be headed north or overseas. Those Caribbean itineraries aren't even popular out of Florida during summer months ... very limited options. With the Oasis and Allure equalling about four Voyager-class ships, they've got it covered there, as well.

Sounds like Galveston is going the way of the West Coast. Pretty soon, RCCL will be leaving the US completely, except for the "floating cities". Probably costs too much to move them or they'd be gone as well.

Unfortunately, you're in the minority. Those of us who have to endure the heat of summer down here simply don't want to vacation in a place that's even hotter ... went to Mexico one September; never again! If anything, we'd be headed north or overseas. Those Caribbean itineraries aren't even popular out of Florida during summer months ... very limited options. With the Oasis and Allure equalling about four Voyager-class ships, they've got it covered there, as well.

Unfortunately youre wrong. Prices peak in the summer for a reason, supply and demand. People take family vacations when the kids are out of school, hot or not!

lol yes, galvesonton is a popular port, even if its beyond your understanding. I dont care which RCL ship, just so it is RCL.

I think we all dont like to see another port who wants a ship, because it might mean one less for where you are or want to cruise out of.

I would hope that if the larger Carnival Magic does well, RCI will consider adding year-round ships back in Galveston. But I guess it failed last time when the Splendour OTS and Rhapsody OTS were year round. Anyone know why RCI started doing only winter sailings from Galveston?

Unfortunately youre wrong. Prices peak in the summer for a reason, supply and demand. People take family vacations when the kids are out of school, hot or not!

Please check the available cruises to the Caribbean during summer months, as compared with winter. There are several threads complaining about the lack of both options and itineraries. New England and Canada are popular destinations during this time, as are Bermuda, Europe and Alaska. With fewer ships sailing the Caribbean, supply is naturally low, so demand is higher ... thus the price increase. Add the folks who head for the theme parks, national parks and beaches when kids are out of achool, and you'll see why cruising the Caribbean isn't the most popular choice.

I would hope that if the larger Carnival Magic does well, RCI will consider adding year-round ships back in Galveston. But I guess it failed last time when the Splendour OTS and Rhapsody OTS were year round. Anyone know why RCI started doing only winter sailings from Galveston?

Simple ... the "summer money" is in Europe. It's an unbelievably popular destination, especially given the increasing number of European cruise enthusiasts. Ships leave for there in April, and return in November or December, when winter sets in.

Galveston is not the easiest port if you fly....but neither is Port Canaveral....so should they pull the ships from there?

This is apples and oranges. The overwhelming majority of Galveston cruisers drive to the port. You wouldn't believe the number of parking facilties in this relatively small venue. Unlike Orlando (about a half-hour shuttle to Port Canaveral, with all airlines offering many options) the major Houston airport (Bush Intercontinental) is 90 minutes to two hours away, and the cost to and from the ship can be pricey. Hobby International is much closer (45 minutes) but only Southwest, JetBlue and Frontier fly directly in ... American, Delta and AirTran have some service, but there are plane changes and layovers involved. Galveston is a "niche market" for the cruise lines ... largely Texans and residents of surrounding states (within a day's drive). The trade-off for this convenience is an ordinary itinerary ... not something that people who live a distance from the port would go out of their way to sail. This is why only one ship is homeported there year-round (two if you count the shorter cruises ... and who'd want to travel all that distance for a "quickie"?). During winter season, RCI brings in a ship, as will Princess, beginning in 2012. That should pretty well saturate the market.

I would love it if they would just bring a ship back to Galveston in September instead of waiting until November!

Two reasons ... (1) they're still making money in Europe, and (2) it's peak hurricane season in the Gulf and Atlantic.

Simple ... the "summer money" is in Europe. It's an unbelievably popular destination, especially given the increasing number of European cruise enthusiasts. Ships leave for there in April, and return in November or December, when winter sets in.

Can you explain why the Mariner isn't showing up in Europe for the Summer of 2012 on RCCl website:confused:

This is apples and oranges. The overwhelming majority of Galveston cruisers drive to the port. You wouldn't believe the number of parking facilties in this relatively small venue. Unlike Orlando (about a half-hour shuttle to Port Canaveral, with all airlines offering many options) the major Houston airport (Bush Intercontinental) is 90 minutes to two hours away, and the cost to and from the ship can be pricey. Hobby International is much closer (45 minutes) but only Southwest, JetBlue and Frontier fly directly in ... American, Delta and AirTran have some service, but there are plane changes and layovers involved. Galveston is a "niche market" for the cruise lines ... largely Texans and residents of surrounding states (within a day's drive). The trade-off for this convenience is an ordinary itinerary ... not something that people who live a distance from the port would go out of their way to sail. This is why only one ship is homeported there year-round (two if you count the shorter cruises ... and who'd want to travel all that distance for a "quickie"?). During winter season, RCI brings in a ship, as will Princess, beginning in 2012. That should pretty well saturate the market.

Very well said. Lets hope the additional ships in winter keep the prices competitive.

Mariner will dry dock prior to leaving from Miami for a TA May 1, 2012. My travel agent confirmed the date and itinerary for me an hour ago. It is not open for booking yet, even thru' travel agents. The itinerary was posted by Julie earlier this week and she is correct. Fantastic itinerary!

Please check the available cruises to the Caribbean during summer months, as compared with winter. There are several threads complaining about the lack of both options and itineraries. New England and Canada are popular destinations during this time, as are Bermuda, Europe and Alaska.

As Alaska, Canada and New England can ONLY be sailed in the summer months, it makes sense for a cruise line to reposition ships.

Cruises departing from Galveston are always full, 12 months out of the year and rarely discounted.

Port Canaveral has less to offer than Galveston as ships sail a short schedule and only go to the Bahamas. They are all "quickies".

FYI: The shuttle takes a lot longer than 30 minutes.

Some people sail for the ports, others for just being on a ship. All sailings, from any port, become redundant as they all sail their schedule.

We will continue to support the addition of ships to the port of Galveston and some longer sailing schedules.

Mariner will dry dock prior to leaving from Miami for a TA May 1, 2012. My travel agent confirmed the date and itinerary for me an hour ago. It is not open for booking yet, even thru' travel agents. The itinerary was posted by Julie earlier this week and she is correct. Fantastic itinerary!

OK give it up where will she be the summer of 2012?

Sounds like Galveston is going the way of the West Coast. Pretty soon, RCCL will be leaving the US completely, except for the "floating cities". Probably costs too much to move them or they'd be gone as well.

I think the reason they are leaving the West Coast is due to the problems in Mexico for those itineraries.

I never understand why some people suggest sailing out of Galveston is difficult, or that it isn't airport friendly. I live in Los Angeles, and I've taken a few crusies out of Galveston and I love it. The drive form Hobby airport is less than an hour, there are nice hotels very close to the port, and the boarding process there is one of the quickest of any port I have been to.

I really like it, and it's closer to LA than Florida.:)

Archived