Drink prices...

NODAK1979

We're on the Spirit starting on 4/3 out of NOLA, and trying to budget how much we'll spend onboard. My guess is the largest chunk will be drink prices, considering we don't gamble and probably will only eat in one of the "pay" restaurants once or twice.

I can't really seem to find any consistant answers on the internet so...to those who have sailed NCL in the past, how much am I looking at for beer and mixed drinks?? Don't care about wine.

As a beer snob, I know I"m probably in trouble with their beer selections but hopefully they'll have SOMETHING palatable.

You can get a bucket of beer (domestic) for around $25, basically you buy 5 and get the 6th one free (I'm not sure what brands they carry). Mixed drinks run $6.95 and up. They add a 15% gratuity to all bar bills. If you order your drinks without the souvenier glass/cup you'll save a couple of buck each time. They put all of the drink specials in the Freestyle Daily, including 2 for 1 specials.

You can get a bucket of beer (domestic) for around $25, basically you buy 5 and get the 6th one free (I'm not sure what brands they carry). Mixed drinks run $6.95 and up. They add a 15% gratuity to all bar bills. If you order your drinks without the souvenier glass/cup you'll save a couple of buck each time. They put all of the drink specials in the Freestyle Daily, including 2 for 1 specials.

Hmmm. Well I'll be the only one drinking beer, so I don't think I'll be getting buckets unless I'm intending on getting wasted. haha.

So about 5 bucks a beer...and mixed drinks 7 bucks and up. Knowing my wife's expensive tastes, probably 10 bucks or so. I hope the pours aren't stingy.

Hmmm. Well I'll be the only one drinking beer, so I don't think I'll be getting buckets unless I'm intending on getting wasted. haha.

So about 5 bucks a beer...and mixed drinks 7 bucks and up. Knowing my wife's expensive tastes, probably 10 bucks or so. I hope the pours aren't stingy.

DH always bought buckets, had a beer or 2, and brought the rest back to the cabin.

DH always bought buckets, had a beer or 2, and brought the rest back to the cabin.

That's what I did, too. The steward was glad to fill the bucket with ice for me (for that matter any bar would do the same).

That's what I did, too. The steward was glad to fill the bucket with ice for me (for that matter any bar would do the same).

Do you remember if they had any "good" beers?? Good being...not the typical Bud, Miller, Coors stuff. Heineken doesn't count.

Do you remember if they had any "good" beers?? Good being...not the typical Bud, Miller, Coors stuff. Heineken doesn't count.

Unfortunately I don't. I expect someone will be along shortly that is more knowledgable than I.

I was able to get buckets of Dos Equis on the Epic. The bar staff will usually ask if you want them all opened or just one. I sailed solo on the Epic and bought buckets of beer all week. Had one or two and the rest went back to my cabin. They will provide an opener for you. Any bar will refill the ice (and your cabin steward will usually do this as well).

There are some bars that have premium beers on tap - at least they did on the Epic. Being a beer snob myself I can appreciate wanting a good beer. I was not disaapointed.

As far as prices go I've found most prices on board very comparable to what I'd get in most bars in a mid to large size city.

The simplest, yet the most brilliant idea :D! I was in the mindset of a bar scenario...you can't take it with you.

You can get a drink at one bar, walk all over the ship with it, and get another drink at a different bar (just can't take them off the ship in port).

Only if you get the bucket (and they do provide bottle openers, or at least I remember seeing them).

However, the bottle openers they provide absolutely suck. You'll end up with a bloody knuckle before you're even able to taste the beer. So, just bring your own, and you should be good to go.

I've gone to the "dark side" too and just can't return to Miller/Coors Lite, etc. Unfortunately, the four NCL ships I've been on have a pretty poor selcetion of good beers. I have seen Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale, Sam Adams Lager, Dos Equi, and on the Alaska cruise an Alaska something, and a few others that I can't remember. None of these all at once though. It has varied from ship to ship. I want some good IPAs, or a Porter, or a Stout...or.......The good news, in buckets there wasn't an extra charge for the better beers if you mixed them in.

In a thread from February, I posted the cost for drinks we purchased (the thread title is drink costs; by doing an advanced search for this thread title, you will easily find it). This might provide some specifics to help plan. My experience has been that the vodka pours are measured, rather than generous (:(). But, I also thought the overall cost was reasonable (:)).

They do have Corona but paying 2 dollars in port then 5 on the ship for the same beer oh well. Not sure if that counts as good beer.

The openers do suck but Spirit has a good one the wall in the bathroom and if you order wine you get a good opener with the cork screw. There is a five dollar refundable charge for the Helmets and buckets for the 6 beers but we saw a few helmets not returned walking off the ship. Someone told us they use to not have the deposit easy to see why they have one. Grab a extra if you can I would love one for 5 dollars. A great souvenir that comes filled with beer can't beat that.

Archived