raised toilet seats

huggs

I know this may sound odd to some, but does anyone know if Carnival cruise lines have portable raised toilet seats that you just put on a regular toilet. I do not need a handicap room, but a raised toilet seat does make life a wee bit easier for me.

Just curious if anyone has ever used or asked for one on a cruise ship. I know the HC rooms would have a higher seat.

Thanks

I know this may sound odd to some, but does anyone know if Carnival cruise lines have portable raised toilet seats that you just put on a regular toilet. I do not need a handicap room, but a raised toilet seat does make life a wee bit easier for me.

Just curious if anyone has ever used or asked for one on a cruise ship. I know the HC rooms would have a higher seat.

Thanks

Contact Carnival's Special Needs Dept and you should be able to request one. If it's not there is your cabin when you arrive, just let your cabin attendent know that you had required one and they should be able to get one for you. They can also provide a shower stool if needed.

Contact Carnival's Special Needs Dept and you should be able to request one. If it's not there is your cabin when you arrive, just let your cabin attendent know that you had required one and they should be able to get one for you. They can also provide a shower stool if needed.

I spoke to someone at Carnival and was told they do not have such a thing...is there a different phone # for the special needs dept..or do you just ask for them when you call the main #.

I was surprised they did not have them. I figured if I have to...I can hit a drug store on our trip and maybe buy one ...might look funny explaining that one as I go through security :D

I spoke to someone at Carnival and was told they do not have such a thing...is there a different phone # for the special needs dept..or do you just ask for them when you call the main #.

I was surprised they did not have them. I figured if I have to...I can hit a drug store on our trip and maybe buy one ...might look funny explaining that one as I go through security :D

Find it hard to believe they don't have them when the other cruiselines that Carnival owns, such as RCCL, supplies them to their passengers.

The following information was taken directly from Carnivals website.

specialneeds@carnival.com or 1.800.438.6744, ext. 70344.

When we were on the Diamond Princess recently we asked for one and the room attendant had no idea what I was on about. So went to Passenger Services and asked.

Later that evening the Head Engineer arrived with an 'old' toilet riser and it was discovered they no longer fit the toilets!!! Didn't bother asking if the toilet pans were new, but I would have hardly thought so as the ship is only 6 -7 years old.

So had to 'do without' which meant hubby acting as forklift once again!:cool:

Find it hard to believe they don't have them when the other cruiselines that Carnival owns, such as RCCL, supplies them to their passengers.

The following information was taken directly from Carnivals website.

specialneeds@carnival.com or 1.800.438.6744, ext. 70344.

Thank you. I Have sent and email and a picture of what I meant to Carnival. Worse case scenario, I will send DH out to a drug store on our first day to buy one and we can donate it to the ship following our trip...lol.

CheerS

Huggs

I have the same problem as you do with regular height toilets. RCCL and Disney have been very helpful with bringing the raised seats to the cabin the first day (if it is not there already).But-I have noticed one thing-the seats on some ships are high enough that I have been fine. We have never been on Carnival so I don't know about their ships but several RCCL and Celebrity ships have had a high enough seat that I don't need to get one. Good luck.

Sue

WE have also had problems with this in the past. Either the cruise line staff was clueless about how to get a raised toilet seat (even though requested ahead of time through Special Services), which has occurred on Princess and Royal Caribbean, or the seat they had did not fit the toilets (the cruise line toilets are not a standard toilet bowl size).

On the maiden voyage of the Grand Princess it took us two days to get a toilet seat raiser, and then it did not fit the toilet. I used a couple of trusty gait belts to strap it down and make it work.

On HAL one time, we got the Special Services department to send us pictures and measurements of the toilet in the cabin we would have, and my father (an engineer) made a custom toilet set raiser to fit. We took it with us in our luggage to South America for use on that cruise.

Now my mother requires the use of a travel rolling shower/commode chair which rolls over the toilet. An over-toilet commode chair (adjustable height and designed for travel) might work better for you if you have this need. These can usually also be used as a shower chair. The nicest ones are made by http://www.NuProdx.com

Not Carnival but I found a very helpful page for similar issue on Royal Caribbean.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do

Lists every ship and for each has a list of every accessible cabin on the ship that includes toilet height. Most on RCI are 18" or so which is higher than most homes but lower than standard ADA type toilets in public facilities.

That list also makes it a lot easier to find where accessible staterooms are on deck plans for different ship classes.

Perhaps Carnical or other lines have similar info online.

FYI everyone....I heard back from Carnival today after completing some forms and there will be a toilet seat riser in our cabin upon embarkation... The told me it might look different from the pic I sent, but as long as it works...I will be happy.

Good to know if you don't ask you will never know.

• 3 weeks later...

Who knew! Just returned with Caribbean Princess, never thinking pre cruise we would need raised toilet. We needed raised toilet and raised shower. I got a very blank and confused look asking if there was any raised toilet seats. We opted for a manual Princess chair for use in the cabin. Lots of transfers but at least I was transferring DH level and not lifting him up. I'm getting too old for that lol. Good advice for the future though.

FYI everyone....I heard back from Carnival today after completing some forms and there will be a toilet seat riser in our cabin upon embarkation... The told me it might look different from the pic I sent, but as long as it works...I will be happy.

Great. I couldn't believe it either that Carnival wouldn't be able to accommodate your needs. When DH was still able to travel, we never had a problem getting a raised toilet seat - not on Carnival, though. Still, the cruise lines are so "disabled friendly" it seemed unusual for Carnival not to have the seats available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Would you mind reporting back about your cruise experience? Just wondering about the raised toilet seat... and do you know if shower seats are also available? Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Hi! Would you mind reporting back about your cruise experience? Just wondering about the raised toilet seat... and do you know if shower seats are also available? Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Just an update following my cruise. When we got to my room neither the raised toilet seat or shower seat were in the cabin. However all I did was speak to our cabin steward ( Rhohan) who was awesome and they were there that night. That being said, the toilet seat riser was a set up that was meant to fit over the the entire toilet which would be fine, if the toilet was not set in an angle position !! When I placed the riser frame over the toilet it did not fit correctly and would have had me sitting in a position not directly above the toilet !! This may not make much sense. I do plan on contacting carnival to advise them that the option they provided really was not satisfactory. However, due to the design of the toilet and spacing in the bathroom I was able to easily manage getting off and on the toilet in spite of my mobility issues. The shower seat was awesome and I loved having it to sit on when I needed to shave the legs! :p. I did find many of the washrooms on board a bit of a challenge but with will and effort I managed. I just wish everywhere would make their toilets a wee bit higher !!!! Life would be so much easier for many of us and it would not impact others.

Just an update following my cruise. When we got to my room neither the raised toilet seat or shower seat were in the cabin. However all I did was speak to our cabin steward ( Rhohan) who was awesome and they were there that night. That being said, the toilet seat riser was a set up that was meant to fit over the the entire toilet which would be fine, if the toilet was not set in an angle position !! When I placed the riser frame over the toilet it did not fit correctly and would have had me sitting in a position not directly above the toilet !! This may not make much sense. I do plan on contacting carnival to advise them that the option they provided really was not satisfactory. However, due to the design of the toilet and spacing in the bathroom I was able to easily manage getting off and on the toilet in spite of my mobility issues. The shower seat was awesome and I loved having it to sit on when I needed to shave the legs! :p. I did find many of the washrooms on board a bit of a challenge but with will and effort I managed. I just wish everywhere would make their toilets a wee bit higher !!!! Life would be so much easier for many of us and it would not impact others.

Thanks so much for sharing the info... it helps to know what we can expect on our next cruise! Happy Sailing!

Archived