Who will be booking a 2006 Alaskan Cruise?

cruisingfreak

Did you notice that Budget Queen will be organizing a Cruise Critic cruise/tour in 2006 to Alaska? It certainly is on my list for 2006 and barring the unforeseen, I plan to be there. I wouldn't think of booking anything until I see what she has planned--how about you?:)

Did you notice that Budget Queen will be organizing a Cruise Critic cruise/tour in 2006 to Alaska? It certainly is on my list for 2006 and barring the unforeseen, I plan to be there. I wouldn't think of booking anything until I see what she has planned--how about you?:)

I'm still going to book with Princess, because we want to cruise in August.

Minette

Hi everyone!

I just posted the same thing on Budget Queen's post..

I was already planning to go to Alaska in '06 and posted on HAL and RCI boards...got the most interest on HAL...so we're working with LauraS on an official CC cruise in June or July...not sure of much more than that at this point. Here's the link to the post on HAL board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=153288

I do have to say though...looks like a majority of the posters here want to go on Princess. There are so many that are interested...that we could put together quite the group cruise. I'd be willing to hold the planning on the HAL trip and start a Princess one...if that's what most everyone wants.

Of course, it would be absolutely perfect if Budget Queen were on the trip...maybe we can convince her to come on a 7-day instead of a longer trip??? hehehe

Just think of the fun we could have sailing together!

If no one objects...we can start a poll to find the best time & itinerary that works for the majority and go from there...

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany! We are looking at a Princess cruise in June or July so if you put something together then let us know and I'll see what everyone in our group thinks. The waiting to book is the hardest part! I just want to know I've got a room! LOL!

HAPPY SAILS!

Hi everyone!

Based on preliminary calculations, most everyone who's posted here wants to go on Princess in June or July. There are a few unknowns and stragglers for other lines.

Budget Queen is going to try and put together a group cruise on NCL and she's looking to do a 14 nighter. If you can, I would go with BQ as I'm sure she'd be an amazing one to tour with!

For those of us who can't go with BQ for one reason or another...I say we try and put together an OFFICIAL CRUISE CRITIC group cruise. By being official, we can post on the boards, promote on the boards, and make the 18 or so months go by much faster because there's all the planning to do. You know what I mean...plan for sail away parties, cocktail parties, excursion parties, and just plain old parties.

So, who's in? (I may need to start another thread and take a poll...that seems official to start, don't you think? :cool: )

Personally, I'm open to round trip out of Vancouver or south bound. I'm also open to Princess, HAL and RCL. So, in this case, I'd go with majority (which looks like Princess.)

I hope many of you would join in...'cause a cruise to alaska with cruise critic friends...how could it be any better?!

Tiffnco:

We're in. We would like to go for our first time in Alaska via Princess Southbound w/ cruisetour (13D) in June or July,06. But if anybody have any recommendation for our first time, we're open to suggestions. I,m going with DH and DS(11,13yo).

Thanks for organizing.

Tiffnco:

We're in. We would like to go for our first time in Alaska via Princess Southbound w/ cruisetour (13D) in June or July,06. But if anybody have any recommendation for our first time, we're open to suggestions. I,m going with DH and DS(11,13yo).

Thanks for organizing.

Also consider going independent, there are very few, if any kids on the land portion. You can duplicate your tour choice easily, with the bonus being able to stop and go in areas of your interest. Kids expecially like Eagle River Nature Center, Anchorage touring- car necessary, Wasilla sled dog museum, Palmer activities- Musk Ox farm, Eklutna Spirt house tours etc etc etc, you get the idea. :)

Glad I found this thread! Now I know I'm not the only one waiting impatiently to book a 2006 Alaska cruise. I feel like I have been waiting to book this particular cruise for a decade. This is the cruise, Hubby and I have talked about taking as a 25th anniversary celebration long before we even tried cruising. Now we have other cruises under our belts, but still waiting with much anticipation for that special Alaska trip.

I do know that we want to go via Princess, and also pretty much have narrowed things down to a RT out of Seattle (have friends there that we haven't seen in years), but we are really torn about which month to go in. So my question for you folks is: What factors were considered in choosing your date? Was it the weather there, input from others who have gone, or simply because the date was an anniversary or the like? In our case, our anniversary is in Oct., so we can't cruise to Alaska then anyway. Had thought about going the date we got engaged, which is in July, but those are traditionally the highest rates. Balcony = :eek: I've been noticing more and more people making positive comments about May, with mention of beautiful waterfalls from the winter thaws, etc.

Glad to hear that the bookings will be open in May. I, too, am very anxious to have this one start looking like a reality. Thanks, Pat

Also consider going independent, there are very few, if any kids on the land portion. You can duplicate your tour choice easily, with the bonus being able to stop and go in areas of your interest. Kids expecially like Eagle River Nature Center, Anchorage touring- car necessary, Wasilla sled dog museum, Palmer activities- Musk Ox farm, Eklutna Spirt house tours etc etc etc, you get the idea. :)

We are doing a land portion on our own prior to the cruise. DS will be 12 and SS will be 14. We are planning on Anchroage, Denali, Fairbanks, Seward and possibly Valdez. We are taking 11 days in a motor home to do this. Any suggestions on things to see and do would be greatly appreciated. Where is the Wasilla sled dog museum? We booked Carnival because we got tired of waiting like all of you are doing for the Princess pricing and dates. We can still change if we decide to.

Thanks.

... So my question for you folks is: What factors were considered in choosing your date? Was it the weather there, input from others who have gone, or simply because the date was an anniversary or the like? In our case, our anniversary is in Oct., so we can't cruise to Alaska then anyway. Had thought about going the date we got engaged, which is in July, but those are traditionally the highest rates. Balcony = :eek: I've been noticing more and more people making positive comments about May, with mention of beautiful waterfalls from the winter thaws, etc.

Glad to hear that the bookings will be open in May. I, too, am very anxious to have this one start looking like a reality. Thanks, Pat

Although I haven't been, kid's schedules were our major deciding factor. It seems like you can have great or so so weather no matter when you go. I found a book somewhere (unfortunately I can't remember when) that said what you want to see wildlife wise would be a major determining facotr. Salmon are more likely to be seen swimming up in mass later in the summer. You can sometimes see more wildlife on shore earlier in May since there is not as much growth yet, etc. and things like that. You may want to look into some Alaska books and maybe post a thread specifically with what you will see at the different times.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the wife & I will be cruising Alaska in May '06, unless we go in June, July, Aug, or early Sept. In other words, flexible. What we are sure of is my sister in law will be coming along and our kidlets will be staying home. Also, we WILL be using Norwegian as we have $1000 in credits presently from our NCL credit card.

-Monte

Count us in - late June or Early July....... anxious to get info on ships - suggestions for your favorites? We've sailed HAL. NCL, RCL, Princess, and Carnival.....heard Princess too big to get up close.

Sandy & Gary

Charlotte, NC

Count us in - late June or Early July....... anxious to get info on ships - suggestions for your favorites? We've sailed HAL. NCL, RCL, Princess, and Carnival.....heard Princess too big to get up close.

Sandy & Gary

Charlotte, NC

I think all of the major cruise lines,HAL, NCL, etc. are too large to get really close to the glaciers. You need to be looking at the smaller ship (couple hundred people max, not a 1000 or more) for getting up close. I have not gone yet and have heard wonderful things about the views from any of the cruise lines, but if you really want to get close, you may want to look at American West, Cruise West or there are some others as well.

Ann

Sandy & Gary

Charlotte, NC

Sandy & Gary...

I've sailed HAL to Alaska and it was great! I'm looking at Princess or will return to HAL (if we're unable to get a Princess group cruise put together for July...tentatively). Princess is know for their Alaskan itineraries as is HAL.

If you're intereseted in considering the group cruise, voice your opinion on the poll that can be accessed by clicking: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...891#post3331891

We won't have any concrete information until the lines release their priicing/itineraries...but we're getting prepared!

Tiffany

Count me in as one anxiously awaiting 2006 pricing! I owe DH an Alaskan cruise, so we're going to try and cash that in next August. We originally wanted to do the Spirit so we could get the aft wrap-around balcony, but we have an open booking with Princess. $700 to book the Spirit vs. just an extra $100 to book Princess, so Princess won out. Looking to do a Saturday RT from Seattle, so the Diamond it'll be if current schedules hold true.I know nothing about what to do in Alaska, so I will probably live here for the next 16 months!

Please guys...post quickly when Princess releases schedules ;)

We want to go one way southbound with a precruise land tour. Can't wait...:D

We want to go end July/ 1st week August. Does anyone know when "Salmon run" is at its best?

Schedules should be out within the next few weeks, hopefully.

Minette

:) Hi, I guess after lurking for a couple of months, I will join in, I will probably be spending a lot of time here this year! We are planning our very first cruise for July of next year to Alaska. Hubby wants Princess Dawn , and I would like to go on the Coral. His reason is the adt balcony room n the Sun and Dawn, they don't have them on the Coral. We have definitely chosen Princess, with the Denali/Copper River Land Tour, he does NOT want to tour on his own, so this is the way we will do it, I don't care just so very happy to be going. I called Princess yesterday, anxiously awaiting to book, they said sometime in May, they will be opening Alaska bookings for next year.

Hi Molly!

If you have narrowed your choices to these two ships, my suggestion is the Coral. It is much newer, has a lower passenger density, and certainly boasts many other advantages. I sailed the Dawn when she was about the same age as the Coral is now, and I'll go with my general rule of thumb - opt for the newer vessel.

Hi! I think we may be planning a 2006 trip for our honeymoon! Can't wait to see what everyone ends up planning!

Me too! Getting married 9/9/2006 and planning round trip out of Seatle the following week either Sat 9/16 or Sun 9/17. ( going on a mini honeymoon the weekend of the wedding) We wanted Saphire or Diamond princess but rumors show the ships may change.

Patiently waiting for the release date - I believe 4/29/2005.

Archived