Help me pick boots/shoes for my trip to Alaska please!

SheriNtexas

I am a west Texan lady....not much need for waterproof shoes/boots...etc...

My friend and I are doing a cruisetour in May 2012...tour first, cruise second....obviously the kind of walking shoes that i wear to walk in my neighborhood won't work in Alaska...:rolleyes:...

do i NEED waterproof shoes? While on the tour, and for the ports of call? We are doing a Yukon train thing in Skagway, a whale-watching thing in Juneau, then we are going to Mendenhall Glacier, and we are doing the Deadliest Catch Crab thing in Ketchikan....

i need a recommendation for comfortable shoes to take on this trip....or do i need boots? i know that regular walking shoes, if they get wet, take a while to dry...probably not gonna work, right?

I feel like such a dunce, planning this trip...i am SO out of my element on so many items...west texas is mostly dry and hot...not much need for anything but flip flops and tennis shoes! ;)

thanks for any tips you can offer me!

All I've ever used is leather athletic shoes that I've coated with the waterproofing spray. You can buy the spray at Walmart in the sporting goods section. You spray, let dry, spray again, and sometimes I do it a third time. I also use the spray on purses, backpacks, and pieces of outerwear. Remember to take extra socks with you when you're out on excursions when you might encounter rain and you shouldn't have any problem. Getting a rain poncho might be a good idea too.

I second the idea for waterproof spray. No need to buy expensive hiking boots or shoes, unless you have a need for them at home, too. Leather walking shoes sprayed will do the trick. I usually take 2 pairs to be on the save side, but have never needed to switch due to wetness. I also spray my luggage, never know when it will be raining, and you don't want everything in the suitcase wet.

do i NEED waterproof shoes? While on the tour, and for the ports of call? We are doing a Yukon train thing in Skagway, a whale-watching thing in Juneau, then we are going to Mendenhall Glacier, and we are doing the Deadliest Catch Crab thing in Ketchikan....

i need a recommendation for comfortable shoes to take on this trip....or do i need boots? i know that regular walking shoes, if they get wet, take a while to dry...probably not gonna work, right?

thanks for any tips you can offer me!

If you have good comfortable, supportive and good traction shoes already, then go the water proofing routine suggested. Make sure you do have good traction, with your plans, you will need it.

If your feet or back give out just walking around the neighborhood, or you are replacing anyway . . . . You don't need boots, or heavy hikers. I' m not allowed to wear sneakers at my work, so I have found a lot of supportive shoes where I can be on my feet all day, clamber down a hill after a runaway kiddo, or across a wet sandy area to tend to a fallen child. Keens are a favorite, but pricey. I got an inexpensive pair of low, not national brand waterproof /breathable hikers that look like Keens at Sports Authority for under $40. I used them when traveling, all excursions, and with regular dining nights with my Dockers/Columbia pants. They are my regular weekend with jeans shoes now.

For my jacket, I used a hooded waterproof/breathable shell that fit over any sweater or fleece I had. It packed into my day pack/camera bag and went with me everywhere, too. Better than a poncho, and is useful at home on windy, chilly and rainy days still. On sale for under $50 and available under many names at different stores. Ponchos fly up, don't work well with backpacks and camera gear, for me.

I have a pair of ariat's that I am taking. I wear them around here for walking around our woods. (Central Texas) They have been sprayed with the waterproof spray, are light weight and have good ankle support.

what is waterproofing spray for, sorry to sound dumb, does it keep shoes DRY or just from ruining?

Scotch-guard has a spray that works on canvas, and lots other materials that will add some waterproofing. Not enough to really go wading but an extra measure. We have used it on shoes, tents, coats, snowpants, etc. Make sure it is the WATERPROOFING not the stain resistance. Used to be the blue/green spray can. There are other brands, too. Used to be able to get it at WalMart, but haven't checked recently.

Most NikWax is made to restore waterproofing to items that had it (like Gore-Tex, Omni-Tek, etc.) This one though is made to ADD waterproofing. http://www.rei.com/product/784627

Hi SheriNTexas, we are practically neighbors as I'm in Odessa. :)

I really didn't have any intention of buying a waterproof shoe for our Alaksa trip in September, but we were out shopping one day and I found this at Burlington Coat Factory in Odessa for $30. They came in low cut (like the picture) and a mid calf boot.

http://www.zappos.com/sporto-daria-black-tan?zlfid=111

I liked this one because it looked stylish and they are very comfortable. I can even wear in fall and winter here at home though it never rains or snows here ;). I noticed the other day the boot went on sale for $14.99, but not the low top shoe yet.

We are spending 4 days in Seattle also. Thought it would be good to wear there since it supposably rains alot.

I agree with Janet, there's nothing worse than being miserable with cold, wet feet - especially on vacation!! That's not what you want to remember from your trip of a lifetime.

"Depending on the weather" should be Alaska's state motto! If you're blessed with dry days, a pair of tennies will work fine. If it is pouring in every port, you'll be glad you went with a pair of waterproof shoes.

Not to beat a dead horse, but whichever shoe you choose, make sure they are broken in and comfy! The best, highest priced shoe is worthless if they give you blisters! There are so many options nowadays for lightweight hikers that are waterproof and as previous posters mentioned, you can find them at bargain prices.

I'd not go out of my way to buy hiking boots or anythign like that. Two pairs of good walking/tennis shoes should be good. If you are fortunante enough with weather you may not get wet at all. Have that second pair so you can swap out is the easiest solution.

I'd not go out of my way to buy hiking boots or anythign like that. Two pairs of good walking/tennis shoes should be good. If you are fortunante enough with weather you may not get wet at all. Have that second pair so you can swap out is the easiest solution.

I DO have 2 VERY comfortable pairs of walking shoes.....i know that if i buy a special pair of boots, i'll never wear them again...i think i'll just bring both pairs of walking shoes and spray them with the waterproofing stuff, and hopefully that will be good enough!:D

Hello West Texas. We are practically neighbors. Well I'm east of you a couple hours.

I buy nearly all of my shoes at SAS, San Antonio Shoe Factory. All are made in the USA and most are made in Texas. My favorite these days is the Liberty women's shoe with the slip resistant soles. They have shoe laces and are very comfortable and support your foot.

Here's the deal. I don't haul boots to Alaska. I save my 2nd best pair of SAS Liberty shoes (they were new last year) for slopping around in Alaska. They really reduce the risk of falling on wet decks, sidewalks and trails. You can spray them with waterproofing spray if you want to. The only come in one color...black.

The Liberty is a relatively new women's shoe style for SAS and works well for me and I do a lot of hiking in Alaska.

I save my newest pair of Liberty's for work and dress up. Well I am an older woman and can get away with doing that.

I find the employees in the SAS stores to be extremely helpful in finding me the shoes that work the best for me. As part of my job I try to wear as many Texas made products as possible.....getting harder and harder to do.

There are no snakes in Alaska. You don't need boots.

Hi SheriNTexas, we are practically neighbors as I'm in Odessa. :)

I really didn't have any intention of buying a waterproof shoe for our Alaksa trip in September, but we were out shopping one day and I found this at Burlington Coat Factory in Odessa for $30. They came in low cut (like the picture) and a mid calf boot.

http://www.zappos.com/sporto-daria-black-tan?zlfid=111

I liked this one because it looked stylish and they are very comfortable. I can even wear in fall and winter here at home though it never rains or snows here ;). I noticed the other day the boot went on sale for $14.99, but not the low top shoe yet.

We are spending 4 days in Seattle also. Thought it would be good to wear there since it supposably rains alot.

Well HI neighbor! :D I have never been in Burlington there in Odessa...i'll have to go over there sometime and have a look around...i like those shoes you linked to...i guess since we aren't cruising until may 2012, i still have a bit of time to decide what i want to do...:D A few months ago, before a trip to Ruidoso, i did go and buy a pair of snow boots from Academy...i would gladly wear them here in West Texas, but like you said, not much use for them here! Thanks again for the link!!

Hello West Texas. We are practically neighbors. Well I'm east of you a couple hours.

I buy nearly all of my shoes at SAS, San Antonio Shoe Factory. All are made in the USA and most are made in Texas. My favorite these days is the Liberty women's shoe with the slip resistant soles. They have shoe laces and are very comfortable and support your foot.

Here's the deal. I don't haul boots to Alaska. I save my 2nd best pair of SAS Liberty shoes (they were new last year) for slopping around in Alaska. They really reduce the risk of falling on wet decks, sidewalks and trails. You can spray them with waterproofing spray if you want to. The only come in one color...black.

The Liberty is a relatively new women's shoe style for SAS and works well for me and I do a lot of hiking in Alaska.

I save my newest pair of Liberty's for work and dress up. Well I am an older woman and can get away with doing that.

I find the employees in the SAS stores to be extremely helpful in finding me the shoes that work the best for me. As part of my job I try to wear as many Texas made products as possible.....getting harder and harder to do.

There are no snakes in Alaska. You don't need boots.

2 hours...are you in Abilene??:D Thanks for your advice...i've never shopped at SAS...next time i go to San Antonio i may have to stop in and look around....with 5 grandkids, i'm sure we will be making a trip to Seaworld or Fiesta Texas sometime this summer!:eek: thanks again!!

There is an SAS shoe store in Midland in the North Park Shopping Center.

4706 N. Midkitt Road. (432) 520-2426.

I don't work for this company but have a great deal of respect for a company that produces such high quality merchandise in the USA and most especially in Texas.

They offer a great deal of personal service and do not do high pressure selling.

I've trekked all over the world wearing SAS shoes (and clothes of course) and can say that I am pleased.

In the meantime, save an old pair of walking shoes for Alaska for situations where it might be muddy or otherwise messy. Then you can pitch them after and not feel bad about it.

There is an SAS shoe store in Midland in the North Park Shopping Center.

4706 N. Midkitt Road. (432) 520-2426.

I don't work for this company but have a great deal of respect for a company that produces such high quality merchandise in the USA and most especially in Texas.

They offer a great deal of personal service and do not do high pressure selling.

I've trekked all over the world wearing SAS shoes (and clothes of course) and can say that I am pleased.

In the meantime, save an old pair of walking shoes for Alaska for situations where it might be muddy or otherwise messy. Then you can pitch them after and not feel bad about it.

I had no idea we had an SAS here in Midland!!:o:o Thanks!!

I wore low waterproof hikers to Alaska. I liked the extra support they gave me. I just didn't want to risk slipping and falling on vacation. They ended up working out very well. I also used them in Hawaii hiking on the volcanic rock.

I had no idea we had an SAS here in Midland!!:o:o Thanks!!

The SAS store is in the shopping center where Hobby Lobby and Stein Mart are located, but in the Strip area closer to the service road right next to the liquor store. I've been in there before, but the prices were really high.

I bought a very nice winter coat for myself and a rain proof jacket for my husband at Burlington. Also, gloves, hats and scarves as well as the shoes. When the weather here got down to 9 in January I was able to get some use out of them. They have regular clothes also. I found a gorgeous R & M Richards jacket for formal night, but not in my size. Drat.

The SAS store is in the shopping center where Hobby Lobby and Stein Mart are located, but in the Strip area closer to the service road right next to the liquor store. I've been in there before, but the prices were really high.

I bought a very nice winter coat for myself and a rain proof jacket for my husband at Burlington. Also, gloves, hats and scarves as well as the shoes. When the weather here got down to 9 in January I was able to get some use out of them. They have regular clothes also. I found a gorgeous R & M Richards jacket for formal night, but not in my size. Drat.

Ohhh....in that little shopping area where the Oreck store is!!! Duh....i have never shopped at any of those little stores before....Midland has TONS of little shopping centers, but i'm always going to the mall or walmart, target, etc...and I forget about the little stores...i'm definitely going to check out Burlington in Odessa...

Archived