Packing for a Transatlantic Cruise

mimi217

Well, I admit it. I AM AN OVERPACKER:) I have to pack for a total of 19 days and just thinking about it overwhelms me. I have a fairly large suitcase and will share a garmet bag with my husband. I love to dress up, so I am bringing some dresses in addition to the 3 formal dresses I need. I have dressy black pants that I can wear with different tops and a couple of other dressy pants outfitsl. But that's just at night. I still have daytimes to pack for. Oh my! Then there's the question of temps. We're going to the British Isles (Leaving 5/5/) so it may be a little chilly. Long pants and tops for days? But what if we have warmer days- Capris and short sleeves?Normally, I would take it all. But I know I have to watch the weight. Any suggestions? I really could use some :)

Don't pack for 19 days. Pack for 7 (or 10 if you must) and do laundry. Pick 2-3 colors and bring everything in those colors so you can mix & match outlets and not wear exactly the same thing all 19 days. If you can't wear one top with at least 3 bottoms, and vice versa, pick something else. For dresses, plan to wear each dress a few times - with different accessories, etc. Bring minimal shoes - one flat, one heel, one walking shoe - in a basic color that will go with your color picks.

For me, I typically choose black, khaki, red & turquoise as my colors (for really light packing, I will choose turquoise OR red). Black shoes, black jacket/sweater/wrap (whatever best suits the trip occasion) Black bag. Then scarves & jewelry change the looks.

Change your mindset first. It's easier than trying to squeeze in everything you think you *must* take:p

a day over, another 7day Med and 3 more days on land. Took 44 pcs....46#'s,in lg26" bag, OH bin rolla board, and a large purse did it for me. I'm a fashionista..and do wash out a few things. Do wear evening attire, not boofy formals tho..tops n bottoms..mix/match, re-accessorize. Usually eve stuff is a 3 pc affair, and sometimes day, w/ a jacket to match.My pal had 115 pcs, and bought more. She paid $225 for extra bags after buying one. Minimal shoes , but eve bags n jewelry. Came home under weight, even with a few new things. That bag weighed 8.5 #'s empty, just got one last week 4.3#'s , still a 26" one.

I start by staging all my choices, and re-stage, and pair down as I repeat same garments. Make my what am I wearing each day list, for night and day, with a small window for weather and what ifs. It works for me..42 times toEurope, and 33 cruzes!

Having recently done this (October 2010) and doing it again (May 2011), I have to say that the biggest help for my packing was CJW's influence from the Seasons thread. Do you know? His assistance, to me, of finding the best colors for me to wear that would enhance my skin tone, eyes, hair, etc., also gives the ability to mix/match with the greatest of ease! Because, unlike having to focus on 1-2-3- colors for mix/match opportunities, literally everything that you own can be worn with everything else that you own. I know it sounds like that isn't possible, but it really is... as far as color goes. Of course, you don't have that possibility if you're a person who wears a lot of prints or patterns.

Anyway, like mentioned before, the best way of holding down the packing weight was to consider outfits... pick a bottom and then figure out how many outfits you can get using that specific bottom. For example, I chose to bring a pair of denim jeggings. So, I knew that I wanted to bring a sequined top that I would need to layer because of the weather possibilities. If the weather allowed, I could just wear the top/bottom, otherwise I'd need an overshirt, so I chose a denim overshirt. Then, if it were truly cold, I could wear another layer.. I chose a camel jacket. OK. Now, I have an outfit: denim jeggings, sequined top, denim overshirt, camel jacket. By throwing in just one more top, say a creme colored T-top, I now have an incredible number of outfits! The original outfit, then I could wear the creme-top with the denim overshirt, or the creme-top with the camel jacket, etc. I know that you know how mix/match works, so I'm being a little over-wordy here, but it's fun to talk about! :D

Anyway, that was the only thing that allowed me to survive the trip, with the luggage restrictions. We had 9 days of land travel prior to the cruise, then a 14-night transatlantic crossing. So, we were very challenged.

One hint that I would give is to pack so that you need to only unpack one suitcase at a time. I don't know how your 19-days is structured, so I'll just tell you what we did that worked very well, for us. Our carry-on bag was packed to allow us to have 4-days of wear, so we only had to unpack specific items out of the other bag that we had; i.e., toiletries and we hung up our formal clothes (your garment bag will take care of that, I'm sure). We landed at the airport and had a jet lag day and then took a train trip to stay in one spot for 3 days. We then relocated for 5 days. That's when we unpacked an additional bag (we split 2 bags between us: in other words, 1/2 of that bag was DH and 1/2 was me... just in case we ended up with luggage woes we wouldn't be completely without necessities). After those 5 days, we relocated again for 2 days. Then, we boarded the ship. When we boarded, we sent out items to laundry immediately... just underwear and casual tops and made sure our formal wear was pressed.

I think the best way to approach your packing is to try to analyze your itinerary and figure out how to minimize the impact your luggage has on your trip, as in how many times you'll have to pack/unpack throughout your vacation. I don't know if you're planning a pre-cruise or a post-cruise stay, but if you think about how to pack so that you only have to open up one suitcase (other than on the ship), you'll be so much happier.

The one thing that was really hard was the shoes. I'm not a shoe "nut," but you really, really have to have multiple walking shoes in order to have happy feet doing shore excursions in Europe. You need to be aware of the possibility of rain and those shoes needing to dry out for a few days, etc.

Shoes! Always an issue... especially in how to pack the darn things.

If anyone has a tip or technique for that, I'd sure like to hear that one, as well.

Going to the British Isles in May... you will be chilly. You absolutely have to think about layers, imho.

I just want to thank all of you ladies for responding and for all the great information. I

will definitely start working on the combinations of what I'm planning to take. Thanks again you've been very helpful! :)

That bag weighed 8.5 #'s empty, just got one last week 4.3#'s , still a 26" one.

Luckycruser

What was the brand name of the luggage you bought? It sounds like what I need. I've been looking for a lightweight bag. That sounds perfect.

thanks Linda

Well, I admit it. I AM AN OVERPACKER:) I have to pack for a total of 19 days and just thinking about it overwhelms me. I have a fairly large suitcase and will share a garmet bag with my husband. I love to dress up, so I am bringing some dresses in addition to the 3 formal dresses I need. I have dressy black pants that I can wear with different tops and a couple of other dressy pants outfitsl. But that's just at night. I still have daytimes to pack for. Oh my! Then there's the question of temps. We're going to the British Isles (Leaving 5/5/) so it may be a little chilly. Long pants and tops for days? But what if we have warmer days- Capris and short sleeves?Normally, I would take it all. But I know I have to watch the weight. Any suggestions? I really could use some :)

We're doing a round trip TA on the QM2 in August; the best part is we can drive to the port so I can bring everything I want. I will say we did a 14 day Med cruise a few years back and 3 days in Rome prior and a night in Barcelona on the back end and I took one bag and dressed up every night. It can be done. I'd say I packed for 12 nights and we did send daytime wear out to be laundered on the ship, which was very reasonable.

We will be doing 37 days in April-May. Beginning in Ft. Lauderdale, Eastern Carribbean, then TA, followed by Baltic. We carry one suitcase and a carry-on each.

I only pack for seven days. Laundry is one of our perks, thank goodness. But, in the past I washed. My list is something like this (for each of us): three capris or shorts, three long cargos, seven each of underwear, seven socks, five casual shirts, five dress shirts for evening. I wear blouses matched with a tank for evening. I make sure each blouse can be matched with at least three different tanks. Likewise, tanks (five of them) must match at least three of the shirts. My favorite white tennis shoes, black leather tennis shoes and black leather shoes for evening. Don't do formal on longer cruises. Columbia jacket that is light, but holds in body heat. Also doubles as rain gear. Sweater for me, long-sleeve shirt for hubby.

When we fly home, we leave shampoo, hair spray, etc., in the cabin. Only have the travel sizes in carry-on.

One item I will not leave at home is the over-the-door shoe bag. We often leave it in the cabin when we leave as they are only around $10. This holds all those items that seem to clutter the cabin. Plus, you know where the hats, books, pens, sunscreen, etc., are.

Have a great cruise.

Shirley

You need to be aware of the possibility of rain and those shoes needing to dry out for a few days, etc.

Goretex! I packed fewer shoes for Alaska than I did for the Caribbean - because my main shore/excursion shoe (and we visited family & did some hiking before the cruise too) was a goretex hiking shoe (low). NEVER worry about drying time! Goretex is the best thing in the world:D

That bag weighed 8.5 #'s empty, just got one last week 4.3#'s , still a 26" one.

Luckycruser

What was the brand name of the luggage you bought? It sounds like what I need. I've been looking for a lightweight bag. That sounds perfect.

thanks Linda

as it is not with me at the moment..lucky if you have a Steiny near you, or you van Google/order it...til tomorrow

Did 29 day b2b Med with transatlantic and still managed to pack light. I used on-board laundry. Worth every penny.

uote=luckycruzer;28526921]as it is not with me at the moment..lucky if you have a Steiny near you, or you van Google/order it...til tomorrow

it is Landor and Hawa..lots of sites to research..hope you fine it useful

uote=luckycruzer;28526921]as it is not with me at the moment..lucky if you have a Steiny near you, or you van Google/order it...til tomorrow

luckycruzer

Thanks for getting back to me with the info. I appreciate it.

Linda

We've done severa TA's that with a few days post-cruise end up being around 18 days. I pack in a medium-size suitcase--24"? (haven't measured it) and one small carryon. The carryon mostly holds jewelry, camera, medications and things I want on the flight. Sometimes I have my walking shoes in it too.

I plan on using the laundry special most ships have (bag of laundry for $25, say) once. I do wash things out, mostly because I like to walk and work out on the ship and my tank tops and work out bras need washing after each use.

I bring two cocktail type dresses that pack well for formal nights; I don't normally bring long gowns. I have several knit skirts that pack like a dream and work with many different tops. I have two pair of black pants that are dressy. I usually wear jeans on the plane and bring a pair of khakis for touring (this is for Europe in the spring). I might bring one pair of capris and one pair of shorts, depending on itinerary.

I also bring 3 jogging shorts and 3-4 tank tops for exercising. I bring as many tops in different colors to go with the skirts and slacks listed above as I can--most of them are in packable materials that don't wrinkle. Also a couple of nightgowns, one swimsuit and a light robe if it fits.

I bring enough underwear for about 7 days. Shoes are always a problem. I normally wear my black walking shoes on the plane, or my sneakers. I bring one pair of slip on sandals, one pair of dressy heels and if I have room another pair or two of heels to give my feet a break.

I bring the minimum of toiletries possible and use travel sizes when possible. I bring (for Europe) one water resistant jacket, a sweater and one lighter jacket--these can be worn together if it is really chilly.

Somehow this always all fits in and I can manage the suitcase myself. It usually weighs right around 50 pounds; we are lucky not to get charged for luggage due to being gold members on our preferred airline.

having recently done this (october 2010) and doing it again (may 2011), i have to say that the biggest help for my packing was cjw's influence from the seasons thread. Do you know? His assistance, to me, of finding the best colors for me to wear that would enhance my skin tone, eyes, hair, etc., also gives the ability to mix/match with the greatest of ease! Because, unlike having to focus on 1-2-3- colors for mix/match opportunities, literally everything that you own can be worn with everything else that you own. I know it sounds like that isn't possible, but it really is... As far as color goes. Of course, you don't have that possibility if you're a person who wears a lot of prints or patterns.

Anyway, like mentioned before, the best way of holding down the packing weight was to consider outfits... Pick a bottom and then figure out how many outfits you can get using that specific bottom. For example, i chose to bring a pair of denim jeggings. So, i knew that i wanted to bring a sequined top that i would need to layer because of the weather possibilities. If the weather allowed, i could just wear the top/bottom, otherwise i'd need an overshirt, so i chose a denim overshirt. Then, if it were truly cold, i could wear another layer.. I chose a camel jacket. Ok. Now, i have an outfit: Denim jeggings, sequined top, denim overshirt, camel jacket. By throwing in just one more top, say a creme colored t-top, i now have an incredible number of outfits! The original outfit, then i could wear the creme-top with the denim overshirt, or the creme-top with the camel jacket, etc. I know that you know how mix/match works, so i'm being a little over-wordy here, but it's fun to talk about! :d

anyway, that was the only thing that allowed me to survive the trip, with the luggage restrictions. We had 9 days of land travel prior to the cruise, then a 14-night transatlantic crossing. So, we were very challenged.

One hint that i would give is to pack so that you need to only unpack one suitcase at a time. I don't know how your 19-days is structured, so i'll just tell you what we did that worked very well, for us. Our carry-on bag was packed to allow us to have 4-days of wear, so we only had to unpack specific items out of the other bag that we had; i.e., toiletries and we hung up our formal clothes (your garment bag will take care of that, i'm sure). We landed at the airport and had a jet lag day and then took a train trip to stay in one spot for 3 days. We then relocated for 5 days. That's when we unpacked an additional bag (we split 2 bags between us: In other words, 1/2 of that bag was dh and 1/2 was me... Just in case we ended up with luggage woes we wouldn't be completely without necessities). After those 5 days, we relocated again for 2 days. Then, we boarded the ship. When we boarded, we sent out items to laundry immediately... Just underwear and casual tops and made sure our formal wear was pressed.

I think the best way to approach your packing is to try to analyze your itinerary and figure out how to minimize the impact your luggage has on your trip, as in how many times you'll have to pack/unpack throughout your vacation. I don't know if you're planning a pre-cruise or a post-cruise stay, but if you think about how to pack so that you only have to open up one suitcase (other than on the ship), you'll be so much happier.

The one thing that was really hard was the shoes. I'm not a shoe "nut," but you really, really have to have multiple walking shoes in order to have happy feet doing shore excursions in europe. You need to be aware of the possibility of rain and those shoes needing to dry out for a few days, etc.

Shoes! Always an issue... Especially in how to pack the darn things.

If anyone has a tip or technique for that, i'd sure like to hear that one, as well.

Going to the british isles in may... You will be chilly. You absolutely have to think about layers, imho.

great post!

We will be doing 37 days in April-May. Beginning in Ft. Lauderdale, Eastern Carribbean, then TA, followed by Baltic. We carry one suitcase and a carry-on each.

I only pack for seven days. Laundry is one of our perks, thank goodness. But, in the past I washed. My list is something like this (for each of us): three capris or shorts, three long cargos, seven each of underwear, seven socks, five casual shirts, five dress shirts for evening. I wear blouses matched with a tank for evening. I make sure each blouse can be matched with at least three different tanks. Likewise, tanks (five of them) must match at least three of the shirts. My favorite white tennis shoes, black leather tennis shoes and black leather shoes for evening. Don't do formal on longer cruises. Columbia jacket that is light, but holds in body heat. Also doubles as rain gear. Sweater for me, long-sleeve shirt for hubby.

When we fly home, we leave shampoo, hair spray, etc., in the cabin. Only have the travel sizes in carry-on.

One item I will not leave at home is the over-the-door shoe bag. We often leave it in the cabin when we leave as they are only around $10. This holds all those items that seem to clutter the cabin. Plus, you know where the hats, books, pens, sunscreen, etc., are.

Have a great cruise.

Shirley

thanks so much for your suggestions as to matching most everything. I am going to do what you said and take 3's of shirts and pants and mix 'n match. DH likes long sleeve shirts in the evening anyhow, and we bought Joseph Bank Traveler shirts recently--they launder beautifully without ironing. I also take 2 sandals (comfy for walking--but wearable on board, and 1 low heeled dressy shoe for evenings. Our TA ship has washers, and I don't mind doing wash twice--we also take 7 underwear/socks--and we pack in 2-21" suitcases plus a smaller bag. Our TA will last 18 days--our first really long cruise--can't wait!

• 1 year later...

I saw some poor reviews on this luggage when I went online and Googled it. How much have you used it? The biggest complaint was that the fabric didn't hold up and the company would not back their 10 yr warranty.

Archived