I know about pick pockets but.....

cruisemontreal

Protect the things that really matter: Cash, ID, credit cards by carrying them on your body -- lots of methods to do this. And consider the rest expendable. Really, if someone steals your tissues or water bottle, will it ruin your trip?

Also, don't take ANYTHING you don't need. Unless you're sure you'll need the jacket, leave it. If you're going to need medicine, tote just one pill in a bit of aluminum foil and leave the rest on the ship. Don't take any "just in case" items -- I learned long ago that I almost always am sorry that I'm forced to tote them.

I have personal experience with the slice-a-purse-with-a-razor-blade, and I didn't know anything was happening. These people are GOOD at being BAD. Don't place any faith in the "I look like I don't have anything" method: I was with a group of Girl Scouts when we had our purses sliced, and we were teenagers. I promise you we didn't look like we had five bucks between the group of us.

If they target you, they're probably going to get you. Your best bet is to make sure they can't get your valuables.

If weather allows, a cross body purse UNDER a jacket is probably the safest thing.

Bingo!!!!

That's always my favorite style. I felt free to take my hand off the purse when it was under a partially buttoned jacket.

These thieves aren't looking to hurt anyone. They want the quick grab and run.

If carrying a tote or back pack etc, put a local newspaper in one of the outside pockets. Be sure the front page of the paper shows. It's great for 'looking local".

This can't hurt, but the most it will do is suggest that you read/understand the language, it won't fool a thief into thinking you are Italian. These thieves are experts at watching and assessing people and, no matter what we do, they know almost instantly that we are foreigners. It's in our stance, walk and facial expressions as much as our clothing, which almost always gives us away anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
We just carry a regular zippered tote bag and have never had a problem. Money, credit cards etc go in the money belt and camera is in it's case with the strap worn cross body by my DH.

This is pretty much what we do. Real valuables go under the clothes in neck banks or inside pockets. Rest of the junk goes in the zippered tote bag by LeSport that weights almost nothing. Usually I ditch the purse and stuff the pockets. My point and shoot camera hangs on a lanyard from my neck. More to keep me from walking away and forgetting than to keep it safe from bad guys. :o

On our day pack, we use a carabiner with a screw closure to connect the zippers together. It's way too time consuming for a pickpocket to mess with, they will go to an easier target first.

http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-AmD-Locking-Carabiner-Screw-Lock/dp/B000T266N4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1302526503&sr=1-1

On my crossbody bag, there is a clip built in that secures the zipper. Like this:

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/toursafe-petite-handbag/132798?productid=1344238

Pickpockets want to be fast. Anything that will slow them down could get them caught. Even a safety pin or a twist tie is better than nothing.

My husband has pants and shirts from Travelsmith that have built in hidden security pockets with zippers.

Fanny packs are the worst! Even when worn in front, the pros can get into them in fractions of a second.:mad:

Lets face it folks. We look like tourists. They can recognize us at 10ft away. I always dress in dark clothes, no bright colors or white tennis shoes. Always wear $$ belt , sometimes neck wallet. with a few Euros. I have a lightweight day pack with umbrella, jacket etc. no valuables. Usually turn it backwards so zippers face my back. Once forgot to turn it, both zippers were opened;nothing gone.They only want $$ and PPs.I figure pickpockets think I have my $ in backpack. Caught a guy with his hand in my jeans pocket on Paris subway.They go for easy targets.

Daypacks always get pickpocketed. Last year, our tourguide had one on and someone managed to unzip it in two places. That's why I say don't carry a bag at all.

If you want to fool people into believing you are from Europe, it helps to wear European walking shoes that are widely sold and worn in Europe instead of an American brand and also European style clothes. Makes a huge difference in how your are perceived and treated.

I live by the "ugly purse" rule. I travel with my ugliest and least fashionable purse. If you're a pickpocket, who are you going to target - the woman with the pricey name-brand handbag, or me, carrying the purse that looks like I got it at a garage sale for 50 cents? I don't know if this rule really works for everyone, but I can tell you that nobody seems to want to take my ugly purse!

Haha, sorry but that made me laugh! GREAT idea though!

I went to Colombia earlier this year and my mum lent me her Pacsafe handbag and it was amazing, it was such a relief not to have to worry about it, it has slashproof straps and the main body of the bag, the zips have hooks to stop them being opened randomly and it was comfortable to wear. I've just bought myself a small daypack version of it to take on my cruise in the summer as the handbag wasn't big enough to fit much in and I'm travelling a fair bit this year. Just knowing I can put it on my back and not have to worry about wandering fingers is weight off my back.

I've just bought myself a small daypack version of it to take on my cruise in the summer as the handbag wasn't big enough to fit much in and I'm travelling a fair bit this year. Just knowing I can put it on my back and not have to worry about wandering fingers is weight off my back.

Please, please don't put it on your back and think it is safe. My friend had her wallet taken out of a pacsafe bag that was across her body and shoulders. She had a sweater in on top of her wallet and didn't know her wallet was gone until she saw her sweater hanging out of the open pacsafe purse.

Please, please don't put it on your back and think it is safe. My friend had her wallet taken out of a pacsafe bag that was across her body and shoulders. She had a sweater in on top of her wallet and didn't know her wallet was gone until she saw her sweater hanging out of the open pacsafe purse.

wow how did that happen? Did she not have it closed properly? the zips locked? Even I have trouble unhooking the zips, I can't see how a pickpocket could do it quickly without alerting the person.

wow how did that happen? Did she not have it closed properly? the zips locked? Even I have trouble unhooking the zips, I can't see how a pickpocket could do it quickly without alerting the person.

She did have it closed properly but she had it to her side like a shoulder strap purse and wasn't keeping it in front of her like she should because she thought her wallet would be too hard to get to. She said that she never felt a thing. Happened in Rome. I have a pacsafe 100 and the front loop comes undone too easily in my opinion. If you google pickpockets you will see videos of kids and teens and average looking people lifting wallets out of FRONT POCKETS WHILE PEOPLE ARE WALKING AND OBLIVIOUS.

it's certainly scary how easily people can be robbed without knowing a thing. I was in Barcelona last summer for a day and someone in our group had their handbag snatched from inside another bag, I'm taking the pacsafe bag I got to Disneyland Paris at the end of this month so I'll see how I get on there.

it's certainly scary how easily people can be robbed without knowing a thing. I was in Barcelona last summer for a day and someone in our group had their handbag snatched from inside another bag, I'm taking the pacsafe bag I got to Disneyland Paris at the end of this month so I'll see how I get on there.

I also unhooked the strap and then placed one of those great big rubber bands vertically to make one more thing to get past. I also safety pinned the zipper shut to the strap.

Does anyone have an opinion about the bag that CC is selling for 2 for $10? It seems like a really good price, but might be a bit too tourist-y.

What about leaving the important things (cash, credit cards, key cards, etc.) in a wallet in your front pocket and then close the pocket with a safety pin? It's low-tech, but has to be better than a fanny pack!:rolleyes:

Some of these pickpocketers are real pros. I had my wallet taken out of my bag in Barcelona a few years back and never realized a thing. I had the bag across my body, zipped, and had my hand on it most of the time. I must have let my guard down for a few minutes, and they struck. Even zipped the zipper back up on my purse. I never realized the wallet was gone until I got to the Picasso Museum and couldn't find my wallet to pay for a ticket. :o

Up to that point I -- like many other people -- thought I was a pretty savvy traveler and that ordinary precautions were fine. Now I only carry a very small amount of cash and maybe one credit card (if I think I'll need it). If I have to carry more than that, I use a small "extra pocket" that I can attach inside my waistband.

Some of these pickpocketers are real pros. I had my wallet taken out of my bag in Barcelona a few years back and never realized a thing. I had the bag across my body, zipped, and had my hand on it most of the time. I must have let my guard down for a few minutes, and they struck. Even zipped the zipper back up on my purse. I never realized the wallet was gone until I got to the Picasso Museum and couldn't find my wallet to pay for a ticket. :o

Up to that point I -- like many other people -- thought I was a pretty savvy traveler and that ordinary precautions were fine. Now I only carry a very small amount of cash and maybe one credit card (if I think I'll need it). If I have to carry more than that, I use a small "extra pocket" that I can attach inside my waistband.

They are so good it is unbelievable. I will take the normal precautions and also safety pin the purse zippers shut. I don't put anything in any pocket. Valuables will go into hotel safe asap, but until then everything is in a waist wallet underneath my jeans.

What about leaving the important things (cash, credit cards, key cards, etc.) in a wallet in your front pocket and then close the pocket with a safety pin? It's low-tech, but has to be better than a fanny pack!:rolleyes:

Safety pins are helpful. More than one preferably. I don't care what people think as long as they are safe.

Don't forget to be aware in the airport! Pickpockets work where there are crowds and distractions. Sounds like the definition of a big airport!

.....and they hang out on buses and subways frequented by tourists....;)

Archived