Indochine Illuminations: On board reports

WesW

Hi TheSeaAround Us, T, all;

SeaAroundUs, will ask Navin when I find him about his omelet making skills and let him know both Olivia and you are asking for him. JoAnna, George remembered fondly both Tony and you..he was enjoying a smoothie's in this 91 degree & humid heat. I then had a Mango fusion--delish.

T, thank you for your boundless & sincere kind wishes and Don and you are precisely right, Indochina is magnificently beautiful complemented with extraordinarily friendly people.

Back from Cu Chi Tunnels a few hours ago. Exceptionally moving excursion showcasing the 200KM Battlefield Underground Tunnel System.

Cu CHi is a unique underground system of tunnels deeply located in the clay based ground, with numerous floors, cobwebs and many places for boarding, accommodation, meeting and fighting. Cu CHi was located within the 25th Infantry Division area of operations during the Vietnam War.

Tomorrow is Mekong River Delta excursion (7+hrs).

Pls enjoy fellow CCr's (Karen and Waynes) marvelous Halong bay photos at this link:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/thewrens/2/1301677651/tpod.html

Excursions in general have been well run and very well organized from start (gathering in theater) to finish (heading up the gangway).

To be continued, thanks for reading.

Hi Olivia, SeaAroundUs, John & Kathy, all;

Good morning Vietnam! could not resist.

Olivia, SeaAroundUs, did find Navin and passed along your warm regards Olivia. SeaAroundUs, Navin has not worked on the Mariner...must be another Navin.

Thanks J&K for your very kind words--as you mentioned to me earlier this part of the world is truly fascinating, visually stunning coupled with fascinating people.

We had another tasty dinner in CRose last night (Sole Florentine...I doubled down with a hot veggie currry) We enjoyed pre dinner drinks with our Aussie friends from Tasmania (Doug and Janine) and then went to dinner together. Tonight is Doug's birthday, they are celebrating with dinner in Signatures..we have already asked Sylvester (CR Maitre'D) to have a birthday cake for doug...we will have our first dinner in Signatures tonight too

and plan to ambush Doug and Janine (in close coord with (Signatures M'D, Santo) and sing a hearty chorus of happy birthday. The local folk music troop from Ho Chi Minn city that was showcased for showtime last night was very enjoyable.

Thursday (Seaday) night is Formal Optional night we plan to wear our formal duds and hopefully have Karen and Wayne join us in CR for dinner.

We are having having dinner with Jaime and Dana (Cruise Director and his wife)) Friday night along with the special guest lecturer, Morton Dean and his wife Mary. Jaimie is a truly outstanding cruise director (he is everywhere, always smiling) along with Dana (masterfully assisting the lecture presentations and excellent excursion process.

This morning, am up early 4:30 am as we have a 7 1/2 hr excursion "Mekong River Delta departing from theater at 7:15 am. We will Drive to My Tho, visit Vinn Trang Pagoda, drive to My Tho Boat Station, cruise along the mekong River to Tho Son Island visit gardens, candy workshop, bee farm, try honey tea and enjoy folk music. Lunch at local restaurant, Walk to sampan area, cruise on a Sampan through small canals and along the "Mekong River Delta back to My Tho Town. We leave the port at 4pm today en route to our next port Sihanookville Cambodia.

We met fellow WC multiple segment cruisers (they got on in Beijing and will get off in Rome ) Chris, Ursula and their two children yesterday on the Cu Chi Tunnels. Ursula told Ida their children went to summer school last year to prep for this nearly two month journey and Sophie and David must keep journals and write daily of their experiences.

Helllo all. I met Navin at the pool bar on the Sydney-Beijing segment (25 nites). I don't think his assignment has changed. It (WC) is his first cruise with Regent, and he is from India. He is a bright, tall and handsome young man (I think about 23) and this is his first time away from home. The best addition to Regent I've ever met, because he has such a ready smile, a bounce in his walk, and always loving to talk if you engage him! He loves cricket, and will show you his scars from playing! Sometimes new crew are a bit reticent about socializing, but he is just the best, but you have to bring him in, otherwise, he will just do his job and serve you your drinks!

Thanks, Wes, for another interesting post. When you see Jamie Logan, please tell him that Barbara and I are really enjoying his blog, SAME SHIP, DIFFERENT DAY. I have made one or two comments, but the site is not loading our comments any more, in spite of trying different browsers. Anyway we are still loyal followers.

I can just imagine you "doubling up" when you see dishes you like. Nice to enjoy your food and all the exercise pays off.

We celebrated an anniversary once in Signatures and all the wait staff processed in with cake and sparklers sing their special version of Happy Anniversary. There was also a cake & champagne waiting for us in the suite later, ostensibly from the Captain.

All have a good time.

Hi Oliva, Tom/Barbara, all;

Olivia, u nailed describing Navin and his work ethic.

Tom/Barbara, you're welcome..absolutely will pass on Barbara and your Kudos for his delightfully well-written blog. Yep, love that about any dining venue on board, that is, doubling up when the mood/appetite strikes.

more from last night, after the wonderful local Ho Chi Minn City folkloric performance in the constellation theater, Jamie (CD) was introducing the colorful costumed performers....I begged out and retired to the suite...Ida enjoyed meeting the performers, one who was Miss Saigon....Ida took a picture with her. Ida then went with friends to enjoy the Horizon Lounge until closing. At 1:30am she went to the gangway (in a role reversal) to welcome the crew back from enjoying their crew party out on the deck (live music, basketball)...she gently ragged many of the familiar Regent Voyager crew. Speaking of the Voy crew, want to give props to some to the stellar Voy crew (u may recognize some of these exceptionally hardworking/dedicated young men and women who have gone above & beyond for us since we have been on board:

--Dining room service: Ley (LV), Mary Ann (CR),

--Pool cleaning (Ricardo and Boson)--they keep it sparkling, clean and when necessary (not today 93 degres probably more like 100 with humidity) well heated

--Intuitive Maitre'D's (Marcello (CR for Lunch, P7 for dinner, Abigal (LV for breakfast--she tops my morning musli with fresh blueberries daily) and Sylvester (LV) the friendliest M'D on board who can't wait to reach Mombai (23 days) to be reunited with his family.

--Bar service--Melissa in Observation Lounge for her telepathic service, joyful personality and razor sharp wit--pure delight.

--Best deck washing crew at sea (Alvin, Florenzo (hardest working deck washer I have observed on either Regent or Silversea)...truly appreciate their work since many of us spend time jogging or speed walking on deck--their dedicated work makes it safe for fellow joggers/walkers.

Special kudos the the Voyager Destination Services team...they have changed my mind (before this cruise started) preferring not to have excursions included..to now wanting excursions included. We have 570 pax on board, all but 22 went off the ship yesterday--from start to finish (our Cu Chi Tunnels) excursion was well done. Today, we have the Mekong River Delta excursion andwere scheduled to leave at 7:15..we left at 7:16...absolutely the best excursion we have had on multiple Regent and Silversea excursions....organization, timing, tour guides, bus condition, service. Bravo Regent Voyager Destination Services team.

btw, at lunch on today's Mekong River excursion (another reason I like these included excursions is the marvelous opportunity to better get to know your Voyager Indochine fellow cruisers) we met a fellow social dance class student, altho she is a pro--we're beginners. Akami has 1271 nights on Regent--has done all nine world cruises and then 12 more (Royal Viking)

Dinner tonight in Signatures--we can't wait...now sailing down the Mekong River towards the So China sea. Showtime tonight is another performance by the Jean Ann Ryan singers (Beatles songs/based show)

Wes,

Absolutely love your posts. Have been trying to read them before I go to work in the mornings but then some days you have been providing us with a few of them at a time so I have to catch up.

I am on the brink of cancelling a Regent cruise because of the new policy ( In a category G we would be second class citizens) but then when I hear about your trip I am wondering whether its a mis step! One does gets spoiled in the nicest possible way on Regent!

Miriam

Oh dear, Wes.

As you know we are due to board Seabourn Sojourn in 3 weeks time and, after reading your posts, Barbara tells me she thinks we have made a mistake and should have stuck to Regent with their wonderful staff and general treatment.

Your itinerary sounds great, and something different.

Wes and Ida. Wonderful report again. I am looking forward to hearing about your experience in the Mekong Delta. I found it very moving to know that I was travelling on such lovely waterways that during the "American War", as it is referred to in Vietnam, gunboats patrolled the same waters and straffed the shore each morning. The floating market has to be seen to be believed.

On another note if you happen to run into Roger and Meredith Parsons from Cape Cod on board please say hello to them for me. They are doing the whole WC and I am meeting them for the last segment from Rome to Southampton. They are not CC members so know me as Elsie.

Wes, just caught up on your postings and enjoyed them all. Good to know you and Ida are having such a great time. We sure did on our segment from Sydney to Beijing (and then our post cruise stay in Chengdu seeing the Panda bears at the breeding center..what a thrill !).

Akimi is an amazing lady. We've known her (and her late husband JJ) since 2005 and enjoyed every cruise with her. Agree with you about Nevin...what a sweetheart he is and made our hours sipping wine on the pool deck extra special.

Thanks for taking us along ! :)

Hi Miriam, Tom/Barbara, Ellsie, Marcie, All; Thankyou again for your kind comments.

Miriam....we plan to book another Regent cruise when we can synch our calendars

Tom/Barbara; you will have a wonderful Sojourn journey...we truly enjoy Regent but also very much like Silversea (except the Spirit). It is nice to get experienced based perspective--adds to the cruise itineraries you can choose from.

Elsie, left a voice message with Roger and Meredith passing along your warm regards and that your are excited about joining them in Rome.

Marcie, recall after looking at the wonderful pix Joanna and you posted how much joy ya'll had on your Sydney to Beijing segment. We experienced that special buzz last night during JAR Beatles show. Jamie was in the lead, fog on dance floor before the stage-- there were about 30 of us having a great time dancing to the beatle favs (conga line included)....we esp enjoyed Jamie's version of "Hey Jude."

Signatures last night was the bomb. Cuisine superb (started with Lobster salad, we both had grilled beef tenderloin with Napoleon mushrooms and foie gras sauce, double down for me--also had the stuffed bell pepper with rice, sundried tomatoes, and chickpeas--two run homerun by Signatures) Our exceptional cuisine was paired with stellar wines (pouilly fuisse, chateau de neuf de pape). Thanks to Sandro (M'd)

we surprised Doug and Janine (Anett carried chocolate birthday cake) with rousing Happy Birthday--smiles all around. Doug and Janine reciprocated sending to our table two (much too generous) portions of their divine choc mousse birthday cake.

Going to two enrichment lectures shortly; Lewis Falb's Bangkok's Legendary Jim Thompson; Thai Silk King and Man of Mystery. Followed by Sandra Bowern's The History and Culture of Thailand. WE also have social dance class (may miss due to lunch with Jamie and Dana in LV at 1pm). Tonight is Captain's farewell and crew show (formal optional)...then JAR singers are doing Broadway tonight at 9:30 pm.

We rcvd our disembarkation doc's last night--no doc dancing alas...but what is nice about disembarkation for this cruise (we were offered embarkation times from 10am-1pm) we selected to disembark between 12-1pm in Bangkok...thus no disembarkation day morning rush.

Thanks again, so much, Colonel, for your postings. You have enriched my life.

Sandra is absolutely wonderful!

I had a birthday on a World Cruise last year; butler placed beautiful small cake in our suite; could not possibly eat any of it at the time but left it for the next day; sadly it was cleared away by then. But lovely.

Thank you again for sharing. It means a lot, and I regret not sharing somewhat on my last trip, RIO->FLL Mariner, debarking two weeks ago. I was too wrapped up in my little world to devote the time ... maybe next time, now that I see how much it means to us poor landlocked schlubs awaiting our next adventure....

Cheers!

Wes and Ida, so glad to hear that your adventure continues to unfold magnificently! I need to say that I think it has something to do with your open attitude and kindness, as well as the glorious lands you're visiting.

I believe next up for you is Angkor Wat, and then Bangkok. Not to steal your thunder; rather these pictures/videos (out of hundreds I took) are just to inspire you (plus, you know me and posting pictures, and how you think I created some monsters when I posted how to insert pictures on CC. . .well, I'm a monster, too :p) .

Angkor+Wat+Cambodia+130.JPG

Angkor+Wat+Cambodia+103.JPG

And now that I'm rolling, here is

. Hello! (Sawasdee Ka), I'm sure you will be going here.

And if possible grab the opportunity to

. It will be good for your karma (not that you need it, I'm sure).

Hopefully Wes and Ida's sharing, and even these pictures/videos will inspire you all to visit this wonderful part of the world. Trust me when I say there are good reasons why Thailand is called "Land of Smiles," and why Vietnam is the "Beautiful Country."

Wes we are still in WI helping Mom prepare to move, but I just read a few of your posts - sounds like you and Ida are having a spectacular time and I am so glad for that! I think of you two often!

Please email me...can't wait to hear if you "heard anything" yet!;)

Hi The SeaAround Us, T &Don, Sue and Tom; All;

Thank you again for your way too kind comments--it's a sincere pleasure to give back to CC and your generous words reinforce the desire to share our wonderful (but coming to a close :() Indochine Illuminations adventure.

TheSeaAroundUs, your precisely right Sandra is one of the most intellectually stimulating lecturers we have heard. She packs more neuron rich information in 45 min than any lecturer we have heard at sea. Also, happy to hear Regent knocked it out of the park for your birthday too. Doug and Janine yesterday afternoon missed the Beatles entertainment as they stopped in their room and their butler had decorated their entire suite with balloons and confetti...we had previously coordinated the second day of this voyager with one of the warmest--always smiling Maitre D's on the Voyager (Sylvester) to have a birthday cake for Doug in his suite. And please do post when you're on board the Regent CC community as your post above intimates, loves reading seamail.

T and Don, special thanks for your exceptionally kind words--wow, your a CC (IT) whiz with your ability to post pix and video....I need to take a tutorial from you. Ida and I especially enjoyed our very good tour guides on our excursions (as often we had 1-2 hr bus rides to our destination) these exceedingly friendly professionals generously shared rich information about their beloved country and then easily shared their personal family stories as well.

Sue & Tom, thanks for posting, very nice to see you posting here. Will keep u posted.

Tom & Barbara, Jamie and Dana remembered both Barbara and you well and asked us to pass on their warm regards. Learned from them that their normal work day begins at 7am and ends at 11:30pm daily, straight for 155 days--guesstimate they put in a year in half of work during their almost half of year on board. They are the top/outstanding CD & WC team--friendly, engaging with all pax, they are everywhere from stern to aft, and Dana moves like a fox on steroids in the constellation theater when rushing from guest to guest to gently put the microphone in front of them for lecturer questions. Jaimie's videos of excursion areas are the best we've seen and are an excitement catalyst for our upcoming ports.

Crew capers and the Captain's farewell were super--voyager was rocking. Jaime showed the block party video and the crew showcased their countries outstanding culture (Philippines dances, Balinese dances, bollywood dances, and many, many more) Dinner CR was excellent as usual for the captain's farewell; lobster medallions and risotto, Chateaubriand paired with a CA Chard and NZ merlot.

Today we have Sihanoukville in Depth (6 hr tour--more on this tour later)

Hi Wes,

Am not sure of your return home; hope you get to see some of Bangkok if you've not been previously - so exotic!(in 1970 anyway.)

Just wanted you to know that, after your arduous journey home, this year the dogwood and azaleas are spectacular, so you have a visual treat in store!

Safe travels, K

Hi Wes,

Am not sure of your return home; hope you get to see some of Bangkok if you've not been previously - so exotic!(in 1970 anyway.)

Just wanted you to know that, after your arduous journey home, the dogwood and azaleas are spectacular, so you have a visual treat in store!

Safe travels, K

Hi Wes,

It's going to be tough for you and Ida to top this cruise! It seems as if every day is better than the one before. You have done a great job describing how interesting this area is. Thanks for taking us along!

It's been fun reading your great reports as we pack our things to fly to Bangkok later today, arriving on Voyager tomorrow. Sounds like we're going to be joining a happy ship!

We're sailing the full segment to Dubai and I'll be blogging along at http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com . I probably won't be posting here as well - I keep a paper based sketchbook/journal, take loads of photos one of which I post as my "photo of the day" and do the blog too. I think I need to reserve some time to enjoy the great Regent experience!

Whenever we leave the ship, we always eye those just arriving so enviously and know that tomorrow, we'll be the lucky ones. Wes, your reports have been a delight to read and I'm sure that your visit to one of our favourite parts of the world will stay with you forever. We'll do our best to take over the fun where you left off.

Thank you!

Hi Wes

Hope you'll post your impressions of Bangkok. I really like this city but as most major Asian cities, it is in the process of becoming cosmpolitan and high rises abound. But,oh, the pho soup! My husband eats it for breakfast when he's there!

It sounds as though you have had an absolutely fabulous journey. Your notes about Vietnam made me want to re visit and your postings abot the ship have me tumbing thru Regent brochures!

Please add some posts upon your return so that we can all continue to live vicariously........and perhaps the new pax will continue to regale and entertain us with tales of the ongoing cruise. Paula

Wes, I have also enjoyed reading about your cruise on the Voyager. We've been to several of the ports a number of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. It sounds like you and Ida have had a grand time. Have a safe trip home and give our regards to Ida.

Hi All,

we were cut off from internet last night at 10pm--after another wonderful meal in CR with Karen and Wayne

more later, for now just a very short note from Grand Hyatt in Bangkok (gorgeous hotel)--we love Bangkok (in fact we're already planning a return cruise to Asia) leave shortly to go to Jim Thompson's silk house and then River City to shop for Ida's blouse (trying

to get her to buy one silk hankerchief instead. Seriously she is also buying a nice eggplant color blouse for her Mother too.

r/wes

Hi All,

we were cut off from internet last night at 10pm--after another wonderful meal in CR with Karen and Wayne

more later, for now just a very short note from Grand Hyatt in Bangkok (gorgeous hotel)--we love Bangkok (in fact we're already planning a return cruise to Asia) leave shortly to go to Jim Thompson's silk house and then River City to shop for Ida's blouse (trying

to get her to buy one silk hankerchief instead. Seriously she is also buying a nice eggplant color blouse for her Mother too.

r/wes

Waiting at the Bangkok airport for our flight to Siem Reap for 3 nights in Angkor Wat. We really enjoyed meeting Ida and Wes on this cruise. Hopefully, we'll meet up again on another cruise.

Wes, there's also a Jim Thompson store at the airport. Just sayin'.

Karen

Hi All,

r/wes

Sadly, All good things must come to an end. I wish Ida success in her quest!

Have safe travels home!

Archived