Top Speed on Crown Princess? Felt like we were flying!

wrxrob

During the March 19-26 cruise, we encountered an event which stopped the ship for an hour or so. We had to wait for the coast guard to pay a visit to several people in a small boat (possibly illegal immigrants?). Once we were cleared to get back on course, it felt like the captain really put the hammer down on the ship.

Wikipedia states a speed of 21.5 knots, or 24.7 mph. I've been on several boats, and it felt like we were exceeding 30 knots :eek: . I'm glad to have experienced it as I figured these boats could go significantly faster than their "cruising" speed.

So I thought it would be cool to know if anyone has the official top speed of the Crown Princess, as I was curious to know how fast we were going :)

I took a short video from the rear of the ship, that has yet to be posted on youtube. That should give a better idea.

As others have said, the top speed is 24-ish knots. To do much better than that, the hull would have to be built with a deep draft such as the Queen Mary 2. Maybe the Crown Princess would gain a knot or so if there was a heavy tailwind... :p

Funny you should mention this. I backtracked it on the portevergladeswebcam.com map last Saturday and it showed a very sharp 90 degree turn to the north sort of south west of Key West or north of the west end of Cuba. The track indicated speeds of 24.9, which is certainly believable if there was any kind of tail wind.

Best you get that video up on youtube and post the link here then eh?;)

I tried to do this last night, but my card reader appears to be busted. I'll put a link in this thread once its done.

You have piqued my interest. I may take my GPS on my next cruise in April. That would be fun.

I took my Garmin automotive GPS out, and could not pull a signal from the window of the room. I guess it could be since the ship is not covering a land map. We didn't try it on any of the outdoor decks.

Let us know your results :D

I tried to do this last night, but my card reader appears to be busted. I'll put a link in this thread once its done.

I took my Garmin automotive GPS out, and could not pull a signal from the window of the room. I guess it could be since the ship is not covering a land map. We didn't try it on any of the outdoor decks.

Let us know your results :D

I always take my GPS & sometimes have a problem locking in on the satellites from even a balcony. It all depends on the position of the satellites at the time & the last time you've turned the unit on. I occasionally take the unit up to the pool to get a clear view which will then lock on immediately from even a window in the Horizon.

If you are 30-50 miles from the last place the unit locked on it can take up to 30 minutes for it to find the new location. Many GPS's bought in the US will only have an American map in them and requires a person to spend more money to get other maps. Again this causes problems with a GPS "locking on " to a current location.

For those using their cell phones make sure your phone has a GPS installed and is not just getting its fix from the cell towers around it to provide a location. Best way to tell is put it in Airplane Mode and then see if you can get a position fix. If not then you do not have a GPS installed phone.

For the Android users there is a program called Speedview that will give youe direction and speed with no map. Good for checking speedometers on cars or speed on a bicycle.

I've got a Garmin Legend handheld deally that works pretty good at sea. It has the names of all the little islands in the Bahamas. You can set the next port up as a waypoint and it gives the ETA. You can also show the track. It is also fun to fly with as you can ID the areas below you.

I've used the automotive Garmin (260W) in airplanes too. Lots of fun to zoom in on the neighborhoods to put the speed into perspective. I've seen a max of 611 mph :eek:, flying out of Las Vegas, NV, over the mountains.

We were also on the Crown last week, and I noticed how fast we seemed to be going after the "Cuban Boat Incident". We attended the Captains Circle party that evening so I asked the Captain about it. He said we were going 25 to 26 knots.

I've used the automotive Garmin (260W) in airplanes too. Lots of fun to zoom in on the neighborhoods to put the speed into perspective. I've seen a max of 611 mph :eek:, flying out of Las Vegas, NV, over the mountains.

We hit 749 mph flying Houston back to Michigan and arrived 40min early. There must have had one heck of a tail wind!

Archived