Difficult excursion choice - Juneau July 2011

oliverweagle

Our cruise that was once a dream daily becomes closer to reality .... and choices will have to be made! I have pondered, decided, mulled it over some more, regressed, second guessed and now, once again, am on the fence. I'd really appreciate some input to help me decide which excursion to take in Juneau. Unfortunately, I will have to choose between one or tghe other - time does not allow dor the luxury to enjoy both.

First up is the PWhale Watching and Mendenhall Photo Safari (used to be called Photo Safari by Land and Sea I think) - I enjoy photography and this seems to be a great excursion to take some photographs in locations that I may not see again - the photographs will hopfully last for years as well as to serve as a reminder of the cruise!

Second up - fly out fly fishing. Yup - I really enjoy fly fishing too - although prefer dry fly fishing over using nymphs and weighted flies. I had a look at the video on the Princess site and there was a shot of a fly box - all weighted flies. I do not know whether that was representative of the entire excursion or not. Of course, it would be really neat to enjoy a float plane flight as well, so this may be about more than the fishing!

If anyone has any advice or recomendations I would be most grateful!

Thank you,

Ollie.:confused:

You will lvoe your cruise. Went there in 2009 but did not do either of the excursions you are looking at. Friend of mine did go and went on the fly fishing tour. He said if I wanted to do it to check and see if the fishing license was includded in the tour, some are some not, as that is an additional cost. The Mendenhal Glacier is right outside Junneau and can be gotten there by taxi if you want. This would give you an opportunity to take photos of it and still fly fish if the timing is right. You have a tough choice so I hope you enjoy which ever one you select.

I would vote for whale watching (which we thought was GREAT!) with the photo safari (heard others rave about it). You might be able to find a private tour that would do whale and wildlife watching. Ask if they could take you fly fishing too. Some companies are very accommodating. You might want to check out the Alaska Ports of Call section to see if others have firsthand experience with your two choices.

I also would vote for whale watching. DH and I went in 2009 and paid the price (high for us). We were rewarded by seeing a mother and calf playing in the sea, breeching several times (one time together - awesome sight). We saw orcas as well. Wonderful excursion.

Hi Ollie,

My wife and I are doing Juneau on the cheep (or at least it appears that way right now). Most of our excursion budget is going to be focused on Skagway and we will be taking in the duck tour in Ketchikan. We are going to go up the Mt. Roberts tramway, and then might do something independant, like walk the city or join friends with a cab ride to the Mendenhal glacier. Might even take in a museum or two depending on how much time we have. I don't know the port times off the top of my head right now, but that will definitly impact how much we get in if we limit ourselves to walking round town.

We are cruising with a number of train enthusiasts and that means that we will be doing the White Pass and Yukon in Skagway.

When we were in Juneau last May we did a private whale watching tour (3 of us in a boat and cheaper than the Princess cattle call!) and it was spectacular. We saw pods of Orcas and more hump back whales than we could count. One whale was right in front of us and flopped his tail onto the water 5 times before diving - it was a sight to see!

No matter what you do you'll enjoy it!

When we were in Juneau last May we did a private whale watching tour (3 of us in a boat and cheaper than the Princess cattle call!) and it was spectacular. We saw pods of Orcas and more hump back whales than we could count. One whale was right in front of us and flopped his tail onto the water 5 times before diving - it was a sight to see!

No matter what you do you'll enjoy it!

Hi we are doing Alaska Cruise in June and just beginning to plan. Do you have a link or name for the private tour company? Thanks!!!

Hi we are doing Alaska Cruise in June and just beginning to plan. Do you have a link or name for the private tour company? Thanks!!!

After doing a lot of research in the Ports of Call board we decided to book with Harv and Marv. We actually had the son-in-law (Steve) as our guide and he was great. Turns out there was just one other lady with us (I think they had two boats going and the other had a group).

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

Had to laugh when I booked it since I sent them the payment and it didn't clear for some time. Turns out they only go where they can pick up the mail once every few weeks in bad weather. By the time we went in May is was shirtsleeve weather :-)

we are struggling with Juneau as well.. second port(July 11,2011) on a long trip.. thinking of spreading out the "big/expensive" excursions and the bike and brew glacier view trip.. is the current choice.. anyone have any experience or a can not miss in Juneau excursion...

I can only say if you like photography whale watching and mendenhall are two pretty good excursions and photo ops.

Fishing is cool too, but I found the whales and mendenhall to be truely special!

I will not recommend one over the other, since both these tours are of interest to you.

In my opinion, all of Alaska is a photo safari. :)

If you truely can not select, draw out of a hat, and be final about it. No matter which way you go- you are missing the other.

Thanks to all - decided on the "Photo Safari" so will take ther camera kit and leave the fly rods at home. My wife and son will be enjoying a whale watching excursion with Captain Larry and Orca Enterprises. DS, at 10 years old, is too young to be accepted on Harv and Marv, as stated on their website "To help keep all of our customers as happy as possible, we will only take children under the age of thirteen (13) if it is an exclusive (private) tour or groups of five or six."

Thanks again for all who responded - and to itzmered who had pointed out the obvious that had escaped me!

Cheers,

Ollie:)

You will enjoy the whale watch with Orca. I went with them in 2009 on a cloudy, rainy day spending the entire trip on the upper deck taking photos, just awesome. Be sure you have a rain sleeve or some other protection for the camera. Went with Harv & Marv last year & thoroughly enjoyed that trip as well. This year if the weather holds, I will get to see Kenai Fjords. I am hooked, can not get enough of the beautiful state. Enjoy your trip.

• 4 months later...

If you want to avoid the hoards, consider renting a car from National right at the docks and drive "out the road" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_the_road) to a long beach where the tourists won't be congregating ("Eagle Beach", etc.).

You can't really get lost. There is one main road that ends near the cruise ship docks and goes out until it dead ends but you won't need to go that far. You'll pass by Auke Lake and Auke Bay and have your choice of little places to stop including little cafes (try Southeast Waffle Company) that only locals frequent.

There's a cool remote chapel out the road too (http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/). Worth stopping. I think the car rental is about $50 or so, and you'll have plenty of freedom to hit the glacier on your way out and explore as you wish. I recommend our local yogurt shop by the grocery store downtown too. Yummo.

If you love to fish like I do, get a one day out of state fishing license (do it online and print it out ... easy) and rent a rod and reel (search online ... a kayak company here has some stuff to rent ... and there's always Fred Meyer where you can get what you want too) and head out to the little rock pile that juts out near Auke Bay. Just ask a local once you get to Auke Bay or google it to figure it out. I'd fish early and take the fish (and stop to get some Alaskan Beer made locally) to Eagle Beach to cook over a camp grill there, while you watch for whales. Cheap and beautiful and not a touristy thing at all.

Enjoy your visit.

Archived