Best drug store foundation

nikita

I need better coverage then I'm using now. I don't want to spend a fortune and I prefer to buy from a drugstore if possible. Is there a good brand out there that gives good coverage and doesn't look caked on? Also how the heck do you get the right color? I hate buying makeup that doesn't work...my drawers are full of it. Also if possible I prefer to use a sponge other then my fingers to apply. Thanks for any suggestions.

Trial and error is the only way I know to find a "match" to your skin tone! Trying it on your hand doesn't work....your face is almost always a different hue than your hand skin!

If you're older, look for a brand made for older skin.. "Rewind" or other aptly named foundations....they cover better than water-based foundations (that are fine for young skin!!) and don't look thick or cake-y!

nikita, I am LOVING the new CoverGirl Natureluxe foundation. It's the one Taylor Swift is currently advertising, if that makes it easy for you to recognize. I have rosacea and was looking for something to cover my redness and smooth out my complexion. This is beautiful, covers extremely well, and smells very fresh and light. They have a lot of colors though, so don't be discouraged. You can always combine two colors on your sponge if one is too dark or light.

I have seen it at Wal Mart and Target in the States; I'm sure drug stores would carry it as well, although it's not sold everywhere here in Canada yet.

when I was in U.K...and still do..was thrilled wheb it came stateside..I mix my own shades from 3..and since 2 weeks. I learned about (Monistat brand) Anti Chafing Gel,m (not the other product)...I use it under it, but after my moisturizer.. It is wonderful..there is a site w/my posts in it...It is about $8..and has the same ingredients as the High Priced Spread :eek:..at sooo much less. At my age, past the speed limit, I still like to "spackle n sparkle", and this does it for me. It fills in larger pores. I use Baby Powder to dust..no colour change either! Very cost effective!!!

I've tried so many but I always come back to Max Factor for my foundation. They don't sell it in USA stores anymore, you have to purchase it online but it is SOOOOO worth it! I like both the liquid and the pancake stick. I use a lot of Clinique make-up but and have tried several department store brands but that Max Factor... it's perfect. I only wish they'd start selling it in USA stores again.

I like L'Oreal because they have a little card in the stores that you can hold up to your wrist to find a good match. The color the plastic card indicated was my color is a perfect match. I tried the True Match, and it was really good and really smooth, but I needed a little more coverage. I have some post-acne scars that I feel are pretty noticeable, so I am picky when it comes to coverage.

I just recently bought the L'Oreal Infallible foundation and so far I LOVE it. It has SPF in it (True Match doesn't), stays on all day, and looks smooth. It's also really blendable, which I like. It doesn't dry up really fast like some drugstore foundations so you can spread it around easily. It's hard because everyone's skin is so different. It really is trial and error when it comes to foundation from the drugstore.

Good Luck!!!

Nikita, I really like Revlon's Photo Ready - it gives a luminous look to your skin, comes in a nice little pump bottle. And I've tried a couple $30+ foundations from Sephora but I like this one better.

I always put the bottle up to the underside of my forearm to check the color and that works.

Lucky, I read that other thread and finally found some of the Monistat at Target yesterday; anxious to try it today!

I know department store brands are more expensive, but if you find one that works for you, it's not as much of a waste of money as a drawerful of unusable product. I use a Lancome product, before I purchased it the sales associate at Nordstrom gave me a large enough sample that lasted a week (I don't use much foundation, for some it may have only lasted 3 days or so). She gave me 2 different colors to try and I could pick the one I liked the best. I'm sure there are other department stores that will give samples like this as well.

It is pricey, around $40, but I buy one bottle per year and wait until they have a gift with purchase. I can't remember the last time I bought a lip color and I always have travel sized mascara, eye cream and sometimes travel sized body lotion from the GWP to tuck into my travel kit.

I apply my foundation with a sponge, just can't get the hang of a brush and I do like the light, even coverage it gives me. The trick using a sponge is to wet the sponge first, then squeeze out as much moisture as you can. That way, the sponge doesn't soak up your foundation and waste it. I wash out the sponge after every use with soap and cold (not warm) water, press out as much moisture as I can and allow to air dry. Using a good sponge is important as well, like any other job you do, quality tools can make a difference.

Can't remember where I learned the cold water thing about the sponge, but it's best to use this method even with sponges you use for cleaning. Sponges can harbor a lot of bacteria and they need to be kept very clean. Hot or warm water encourages bacterial growth on items that are damp for a while, using cold water the sponge doesn't go through the cooling down period when most bacterial growth occurs.

I know department store brands are more expensive, but if you find one that works for you, it's not as much of a waste of money as a drawerful of unusable product. I use a Lancome product, before I purchased it the sales associate at Nordstrom gave me a large enough sample that lasted a week (I don't use much foundation, for some it may have only lasted 3 days or so). She gave me 2 different colors to try and I could pick the one I liked the best. I'm sure there are other department stores that will give samples like this as well.

It is pricey, around $40, but I buy one bottle per year and wait until they have a gift with purchase. I can't remember the last time I bought a lip color and I always have travel sized mascara, eye cream and sometimes travel sized body lotion from the GWP to tuck into my travel kit.

I apply my foundation with a sponge, just can't get the hang of a brush and I do like the light, even coverage it gives me. The trick using a sponge is to wet the sponge first, then squeeze out as much moisture as you can. That way, the sponge doesn't soak up your foundation and waste it. I wash out the sponge after every use with soap and cold (not warm) water, press out as much moisture as I can and allow to air dry. Using a good sponge is important as well, like any other job you do, quality tools can make a difference.

Can't remember where I learned the cold water thing about the sponge, but it's best to use this method even with sponges you use for cleaning. Sponges can harbor a lot of bacteria and they need to be kept very clean. Hot or warm water encourages bacterial growth on items that are damp for a while, using cold water the sponge doesn't go through the cooling down period when most bacterial growth occurs.

You make very good points. I prefer not to buy my makeup at a dept. store because it is always a hard sale but maybe I could get some samples. I do use the Lancome mascara and have for years. I love it and also try and buy it when there is a gift with purchase. Thanks also for the tip about the sponges!

When I had some skin issues that needed to be covered up my dermatologist sent me to the Clinique counter. It was not that much more expensive than the drugstore brands and the best part was getting to try all the shades to find the exact match. I had a drawerful of drug store purchases that were a total waste of money because there were no testers available.

I have since switched to Sheer Cover with my dermatologist's blessing. They have the absolute best concealer that covers anything and it stays all day. The medium shade is just perfect.

Instead of going to a drugstore - try Ulta. They carry alot of the same brands and the salespeople are very helpful in choosing colors etc.

I need better coverage then I'm using now. I don't want to spend a fortune and I prefer to buy from a drugstore if possible. Is there a good brand out there that gives good coverage and doesn't look caked on? Also how the heck do you get the right color? I hate buying makeup that doesn't work...my drawers are full of it. Also if possible I prefer to use a sponge other then my fingers to apply. Thanks for any suggestions.

Try Rimmel.....I used to wear Prescriptives on a daily basis until a friend of my late mother who lived for years in England introduced me to Rimmel. With the money I've saved, I've added to my "cruise fund" considerably over the years!!

Archived