latest you can board ??

The 90 minute rule really only applies if you have not filled out your Fun Pass (pre-registered).

From the Carnival FAQ

Government regulations for U.S. departure ports require that a final departure manifest is submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. Guests must provide us with the required information prior to embarkation. The easiest and most convenient way is to complete our FunPass on line registration process (http://www.carnival.com/mycruise) at least (3) three days prior to departure. Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation are required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

However, arriving at MIA with only 2 hours to spare is cutting it way too close for my comfort. We're of the "day early" crowd.

I would agree with gck1249....change flights. Go a day early if possible.

Charlie

The passenger manifest for the ship has to be in the hands of Customs and Border Patrol no later than one hour prior to sailing. Every cruise line has established 90 minutes as the cut off for the check in process. That means that if your friends can't make it to the cruise terminal by about 2:30 they're out of luck.

Is there any possibility of an earlier flight or arriving in Miami a day early?

Whoa. Yeah probably not gonna work so well. I have a direct flight arriving day of at 9:50am and I'm a little nervous. I would never plan on arriving that late. I'd fly in the day before but don't have the opportunity to due to getting married the night before.

Several years ago my DH and DMIL and myself sailed out of our home city, NY. Through a series of missteps and minor/major crisis we wound up pulling up at the pier at about 2:59 pm. There were no cabs, cars or people. One lone porter ran over and took our bags as we jumped out of the cab. We literally were told to run through the terminal with people yelling at us. We were processed and ran. We were the last people on board at 3:05. I told my husband: never again...now we are usually the first people on board.

We are leaving out of Miami...4:00. I have a friend that is flying into Miami arriving at 2:00 the day we leave. I figured ..getting luggage...taxi....he will probably get to the port around 3 ???? When do they stop processing for the 4:00 departure?

Concur with what others have said. IF they make it at all, why in God's name would they want to start a vacation off under such stress??!! I'd say, ask them if they can change the flight to very early AM, or better, the day before. What they have now is a recipe for disaster.

The stress of that flight alone will kill me.

IF the plane leaves on time and makes good time- then collecting luggage and getting to the ship.

Why did they book that flight? Was it one the cruiseline gave them?

I'm getting really stressed now because I stupidly booked our incoming flight for they day of our cruise departure (this Saturday). We are arriving at Houston Int'l aiport at 11:15am. With any delays I figure the latest we would leave the airport would be 12:30pm. Planning on taking a taxi to Galveston...arriving 2:00 p.m. at the latest? Our flight is non-stop and weather looks good on both sides, so it should be fine, but now I'm really worried and will be traveling alone with 2 young kids. :( I did our FunPass and checked in ahead of time. Wondering what is the latest we could arrive and still get on the boat (worst case scenario?)

We are leaving out of Miami...4:00. I have a friend that is flying into Miami arriving at 2:00 the day we leave. I figured ..getting luggage...taxi....he will probably get to the port around 3 ???? When do they stop processing for the 4:00 departure?

I would tell them to book a connecting flight for the ships first port of call!!!:eek::D

Bulldog

I also called Carnival this morning to check about our latest board time. The guy basically told me that I was a worrier and that their information shows the latest recommended flight arrival time into IAH airport was 12:30 p.m. the day of departure?!?

I also called Carnival this morning to check about our latest board time. The guy basically told me that I was a worrier and that their information shows the latest recommended flight arrival time into IAH airport was 12:30 p.m. the day of departure?!?

nevermind

Whoa. Yeah probably not gonna work so well. I have a direct flight arriving day of at 9:50am and I'm a little nervous. I would never plan on arriving that late. I'd fly in the day before but don't have the opportunity to due to getting married the night before.

Congratulations on your wedding :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We are calling him to see if he can change his flight. It is his first cruise and I don't think he realized how close he was cutting it. He is registering online so that will help when he does get to port and it is a direct flight.

I think his mom ( who gets in at 11:00) is more stressed out then he is. :rolleyes:

First, I would make sure you are ON the ship waiting for your friend and not at the airport or something like that.

You should encourage your friend to change to an earlier flight if possible. If not, maybe he could go earlier on the day of the flight and try to go standby on an earlier flight.

If none of that is possible, your friend should at least prepare himself as much as possible. I would take a carryon only so he doesn't have to wait for baggage. Also, he should have a passport. If he does miss the ship, he would need to fly to the next port. He wouldn't be able to do that with just a drivers license and birth certificate. (I'm assuming he's a US citizen and not Canadian or something that already requires a passport.)

Is it too late for him to take out some kind of insurance??? Maybe Carnival's?

Maggie

I'm getting really stressed now because I stupidly booked our incoming flight for they day of our cruise departure (this Saturday). We are arriving at Houston Int'l aiport at 11:15am. With any delays I figure the latest we would leave the airport would be 12:30pm. Planning on taking a taxi to Galveston...arriving 2:00 p.m. at the latest? Our flight is non-stop and weather looks good on both sides, so it should be fine, but now I'm really worried and will be traveling alone with 2 young kids. :( I did our FunPass and checked in ahead of time. Wondering what is the latest we could arrive and still get on the boat (worst case scenario?)
You will be fine since airlines ALWAYS allow for delays when printing arrival times. I'll bet you get in 15 minutes earlier and if your cabbie stays off harbor side drive and comes in the other way you should miss all the traffic. I have flown in the same day 14 times and never even came close to missing the ship but I nnever arrive much after 12. Best wishes and enjoy your vacation. (The kids will love Camp Carnival)

Whew, thanks for the reassurance!! I changed our shuttle service to taxi service and I'm repacking tonight to get our luggage into 1 carry on suitcase and 1 carry on backpack each for the kids (they are 8 and 4). We are meeting my parents there and they should be able to bring any extras that we couldn't fit!

We are arriving at Houston Int'l aiport at 11:15am. With any delays I figure the latest we would leave the airport would be 12:30pm. Planning on taking a taxi to Galveston

your taking a taxi all the way to Galveston from IAH......whew thats gonna be $$$$$$$

But besides that, im sure you'll make it.....have fun on your cruise!

Our taxi fare will be about $150 which is a little bit more than the shuttle would have been, but I'm making up the price difference by not checking any bags! I really needed to pack lighter anyway. :D

I was just in Miami 3 weeks ago, and let me warn you Baggage Claim is extremely slow. I waited 40 mins after I landed. Tell them to pay the difference and get on an earlier flight.

We are cruising 4/30/11 arriving at JAX airport at 11:15 am....please tell me thats enough time to get to Jaxport :o We are VIP so we should board quickly. My worry is our layover in Atlanta..they always seem to have bad weather there :confused:

About 5 years ago our ship was set to leave the Galveston port at 4pm. Our flight was supposed to arrive in Houston around 10am, but due to weather delays and then a mechanical issue on our connecting flight we did not arrive in Houston until 2:35pm and by the time we collected our bags and got in a taxi it was 2:55pm. It is normally about an hour and 15 minutes drive from the airport to the pier, but we told our taxi driver(Pedro) our situation and boy did he earn his tip that day. I was looking over his shoulder many times to see our speed, but his speedomoter did not work. lol This was probably a good thing since our speeds were probabaly around 90 mph most of the time. It was the ride of our lives!lol. While we were in the vehicle we made a call to carnival to see if theres anything they could do and we were told to just hurry as much as we could.

Needless to say, Pedro got us to the port at 3:52 and as we were pulling up, you could see the guys attempting to untie the ships ropes from the dock. The porters rushed our luggage for us and we literally ran inside and luckily they had not pulled the gangway yet(probably due to us calling them and letting them know our situation). They rushed us through our check in process and we boarded the ship with only seconds to spare!

It was a little stressful, but hey we made it there alive and once we crossed the gangway and entered the grand atrium, boy were we relieved!

Archived