PG or Princess??

Igggy

I want to do a Tahiti/Society Islands cruise and it seems there are only 2 options. PG or Princess. I would like to do the inclusive air (if competitive) and a 3/4 night pre/post cruise stay. DW wants a hut. I would very much appreciate any opinions, one way or the other. Comparisions would be great. Thanks in advance.

The person who should respond is TEXED as he has been on both.

Though he has been more often now on the PG so I think its safe to say he prefers it!.

On my first FP trip the Tahaitian princess was side by side on the Papeete dock. I asked one fo the staff how it was. He said two interesting things - its not as good as other princess ships and I heard that the PG is a much better ship!

The PG offer more of the FP experience with the small size, the marina, the gauguinnes while I am sure the Princess ship is a more than adequate transport to the various islands.

We have sailed on Princess a number of times and on the PG twice. There is no comparison.

The PG is all inclusive, including the specialty dining rooms, has a rear sports platform, has only 300 odd guests.

She is also smaller and can get into places the larger ship cannot. The pictures and story are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

We will be happy to respond to any questions.

BTW we just got an e-mail from the PG- 20 day cruise for a little over 7K including air from Los Angeles. You fly to Sydney Australia, spend 3 days there and then stop at the Cook Islands, Fiji, and other places before spending time in the Tahitian Islands

The person who should respond is TEXED as he has been on both.

Though he has been more often now on the PG so I think its safe to say he prefers it!.

Actually, we were on Renaissance Cruise Line. Princess, Azamara, and Oceania picked up their seven R ships. We have been on PG three times and love it. :)

Full disclosure, I've not done Princess. Over the years I've participated in many comparisons of these two alternatives, back when the Tahitian Princess was permamently in FP, which it no longer is.

I always concluded that there's no comparison. Princess has a more formal dress code, which makes no sense in FP. The Paul Gauguin is smaller, more intimate, has an island ambience, including the Gauguines entertainers, includes the full-day motu picnic, gives you snorkel equipment for the trip, includes drinks and tips. The specialty restaurants are both wonderful, and have no charge as well. The staff are wonderful, and the food is great.

Cabins are also a good size; even the smallest are larger than the smaller cabins on Princess.

And if you buy air from the cruiseline, you get to stay on the ship for the last morning, have lunch, then take a bus tour and then have a dayroom for the afternoon prior to being transferred to the ship. All included.

When we decided to do a cruise to FP back in '03 several friends suggested the PG over the Princess. They had been on both and felt the PG offered a superor experience. Since then we sailed two more times on the PG and are signed up for the 20 day January, 2012 Australia to Papeete. At every sailing we met couples who had been on the Princess and were amazed at the difference.;)

Done Princess twice in Tahiti and the PG once. I would go on either again but the PG was far and away the best trip I have ever taken. The price isn't really much a difference when you factor in all the free stuff you get!

We did the Princess Cruise not too long ago---please read my review...In short, we just chose Princess b/c it was ITINERARY based. Food wasn't good, entertainment worse, and our cabin steward wasn't friendly. I would LOVE to do a PG, but it looks as if the cost is a bit over the top for a week or 10 days....We're kind of boring in that we're not drinkers, so that part would be lost on us. BTW--we did Renaissance Tahiti several years ago--it was phenominal--1st class all the way. I miss Renaissance...

Too bad - if you look closer into the differences the PG is not as expensive as you might think. Too bad about to drinking - I am not a heavy drinker but on my PG cruise....!!!!

you also get free bottled water and NO TIPS!!! Don't forget the free air or a nice credit if you do your own.

Larry

PG again 1/26/12

we did Renaissance Tahiti several years ago--it was phenominal--1st class all the way. I miss Renaissance...

Renaissance was very nice, but PG is even better, IMPO. :)

Just thought I would let everyone know about this option. Oceania cruises is sailing an 11 night French Polynesia and Marquesas Islands cruise January and April 2012. I know PG was built especially for French Polynesia but the price of the Oceania cruise was awesome. My husband and I are in a Penthouse Suite, 330 sq foot, veranda with a Butler, air fare from Toronto, Canada, tips, OBC, all drinks (except alcohol - I'm not a drinker) for 11K. The PG with butler was more than double this amount. I also feel a little more comfortable on a 30,000 ton luxury ship sailing out to the Marquesas.

PG 325 passengers

Oceania 600? 700?

PG Private Motu plus Bora Bora Motu

Oceania ???

PG Gauginnes

Oceania - stock entertainment

PG wonderful personal service

Oceania I know some like it but in my one experience on Nautica it was awful a poor fourth after PG/Azamara/Regent

I will never say never about going on an Oceania cruise as some of the itineraries are wonderful but never in FP not while the PG is still there.

I will never say never about going on an Oceania cruise as some of the itineraries are wonderful but never in FP not while the PG is still there.

Emdee,

Don't beat around the bush, come out and say what you mean. ;)

Price on Oceania was incredibly less expensive than PG. Itinerary is great Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea, Taaha, 2 days Bora Bora, Nuku Hiva, Hiva Oa, Rangiroa, and 2 sea days. I guess 600 passengers thought it was a great deal because it is sold out for April 2012. Price 5,800 per person for a Penthouse Suite, veranda, Butler, gratuities, all beverages except alcohol and air fare from Toronto, and OBC. To tell you the truth to see this part of the world I'd probably go in a row boat and row myself.;)

There is an alternative to PG, Princess, and Oceania: HAL

My DH and I are booked on cruise that includes Vancouver, B.C., Astoria Oregon, San Diego, Hawaii, Fanning Island, Raratonga, Moorea, Bora Bora, Raitea, Papeete, and Nuku Hiva that involves minimum flying for us. It is true this is a long cruise, 35 days, Seattle to San Diego, leaving September 24. Will we go, probably! Some people will be doing RT from San Diego.

We just got off the Regatta and can say while the service was good it is in no way as good as the PG! On our mid cruise survey I reported where their service was lacking. The cruise line did try to improve.(we felt like "marked" passengers" since it was obvious the staff had been advised to look out for us).

If money is tight, of course, select the line that fits. The PG crew is in their own league and we enjoyed every moment of our 5 PG cruises.

There is an alternative to PG, Princess, and Oceania: HAL

My DH and I are booked on cruise that includes Vancouver, B.C., Astoria Oregon, San Diego, Hawaii, Fanning Island, Raratonga, Moorea, Bora Bora, Raitea, Papeete, and Nuku Hiva that involves minimum flying for us. It is true this is a long cruise, 35 days, Seattle to San Diego, leaving September 24. Will we go, probably! Some people will be doing RT from San Diego.

Cruises like that are great if you like a lot of sea days. I would rather spend my time in FP then days at sea. That is just our preference. Many people love sea days.

BUT, you cannot compare any HAL ship to the PG with its sports platform and the fact there are only 330 passengers.

Archived