Leaving from Copenhagen

SPJOY

Hello Everyone, My husband and I will be on the June 23 voyage from Copenhagen to London and then continuing on to Stockhom on Insignia. We are long time cruisers on Oceania. Our last voyages were Enchanted Africa and Safaris and Sands aboard Nautica. We are interested in joining some private excursions if anyone is in need of some participants. We did this for the first time on our last cruise and it was far superior to the ship excursions. Please contact us.

Hello Everyone, My husband and I will be on the June 23 voyage from Copenhagen to London and then continuing on to Stockhom on Insignia. We are long time cruisers on Oceania. Our last voyages were Enchanted Africa and Safaris and Sands aboard Nautica. We are interested in joining some private excursions if anyone is in need of some participants. We did this for the first time on our last cruise and it was far superior to the ship excursions. Please contact us.

Hi SPJOY,

Check out the Roll Call for your cruise and post this there.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1175579

Judy

There is a active roll call at

Lands of the Midnight sun

Enjoy the cruise we did the Norway cruise last summer it was great

Lyn

Sorry to highjack this thread, but Lyn, do you recall the visa situation for the call at Murmansk? I understand that visas were not needed for passengers taking ship-offered excursions but were required for passengers going on their own independent.

What about passengers taking private tours from Murmansk tour operators? Are visas required for private tours?

Sorry to highjack this thread, but Lyn, do you recall the visa situation for the call at Murmansk? I understand that visas were not needed for passengers taking ship-offered excursions but were required for passengers going on their own independent.

What about passengers taking private tours from Murmansk tour operators? Are visas required for private tours?

It is the same throughout Russia. A Visa must be obtained, but the tour guides usually obtain blanket visas for their clients.

It's very much an "I'm taking ten out, I'll bring ten back" kind of thing.

Once you leave the ship, everyone must stay together (within reason), because the guide has to pledge that they are bringing the same tourists back to the ship that they have taken off.

If you think that you want to venture out solo, you'll need to do your own Visa.

We are on the same cruise with friends and we have been trying to find taxis at the ports to no avail. The taxi websites are in Norwegian and we can't read them.

Yesterday we asked AAA to see what information they can come up with.

If anyone else has information on taxi tours at the ports in Norway, I'd appreciate it very much. :confused:

Re Murmansk -- I have to say that it did not impress me much! Certainly not worth the cost of a visa if that's your only Russian port of call (as it was on our cruise).

If I were in Murmansk again, I'd make it a sea day ...

Mura

We just did the ship's tour so I cannot comment on the private tours I think it was like SPB if you have 5 + you are a group no visa required

I am not sure if asking Oceania will get you a straight answer or not

I recall some people got Oceania to book them a small van

I would check in our roll call from last year

We were also delayed by immigration for several hours so plan on a short tour ;)

Lyn

We are on the same cruise with friends and we have been trying to find taxis at the ports to no avail. The taxi websites are in Norwegian and we can't read them. Google translator

I posted some info in your roll call that we used on our trip last July

Rhonda organized several trip in the ports of Norway

You can check our roll call from last year for more details

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965551

Lyn

when we were in Norway there was a company that several people used. I know nothing of it but the vans always seemed full. Try googling "Norway in a Nutshell"; no, my uncle doesn't work for them and I don't own stock!

It should be the same as in St. Petersburg. You may spend up to 72-hours from a ship in port if you travel with a tour operator with the appropriate federal license. The tour operator is covering you under what some term a "blanket visa", and you are supposed to be under their supervision while you are there.

Of course, I have no idea if any tour operators exist in Murmansk to be able to do this for you! This is the link to the Baltics board thread from earlier this year on this subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1339052 Looks like you need the ship-offered excursion!

Re Murmansk -- I have to say that it did not impress me much! Certainly not worth the cost of a visa if that's your only Russian port of call (as it was on our cruise).

If I were in Murmansk again, I'd make it a sea day ...

Mura

Totally agree. Murmansk was bleak and dismal. Rumor onboard was that O only stopped there for cheap gas.:)

Totally agree. Murmansk was bleak and dismal. Rumor onboard was that O only stopped there for cheap gas.:)

We found it not too bad but would have like to seen a bit more of the real Murmansk

Maybe we could get some cheap gas from them now;)

Ours is at $1.21 a liter today

Lyn

Of course, I have no idea if any tour operators exist in Murmansk to be able to do this for you! This is the link to the Baltics board thread from earlier this year on this subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1339052 Looks like you need the ship-offered excursion!

It seems to me that we were told that weren't any real tour operators in Murmansk. Certainly, in my research I never found one. The guide on our ship's tour (who was quite good and spoke excellent English) was a college student.

Mura

• 1 month later...

;)Hello fellow passengers - we would like to join up with other Oceania

passengers who want to organize private tours at the various ports of call on the Norway coast.

Jim and Deborah

We were on the Insignia's cruise to Murmansk last summer and found the city anything but bleak and dismal. We found it to be Murmansk, to be Russia. That was it's appeal. It is not a party island in the Caribbean; Murmansk isn't sexy. It is, however, a fascinating historical place--flush with turmoil, war, suffering and heroism--just like Russia herself. For example, Murmansk was a key port in the Allied convoys that supplied, and probably saved, Russia in the dark days of World War II. It has long been an important Russian naval port. It is also a city that most Americans will never see. We're so pleased that we visited there. We still occasionally joke about the "Russian" aspects of the visit. The little tugboats that shadowed us, KGB-style, on our voyage up and down the river. The black-suited KGB-like agents who stood guard outside the ship all day. Unfortunately, the Russians make tourism so difficult that it is hard to sample the city. We could not identify private guides beforehand, and I doubt they existed. You must have a Visa to enter the city by yourself. Oceania probably lined up as good a shore excursions as possible. They weren't nearly as good as they could have been. There was so much more to be done. Still, we got a lot out Murmansk. By the way, I didn't hear any rumor about us stopped there for cheap gas, and knowing the Russians, I doubt they gave Oceania anything cheap.

A slightly different perception from ours, but not that much so. I didn't care for Murmansk and would have preferred another stop if one were available. But I'm not likely to have the opportunity to go back and certainly their war experiences were difficult. The little graveyard was very moving, especially when looking at the tombstones and seeing that most of the soldiers buried there had only been teenagers.

I think I'd have liked it better if we'd chosen a different tour. The museum was really not up to snuff. I mean in comparing it to museums in major cities, Murmansk didn't show up well. And how many of the museums in OUR smaller towns would measure up to NY or SF?

Maybe we'd have preferred the aquarium! And maybe not ... the same problem could exist there. It's probably not a Sea World.

We DID hear the rumor about "cheap gas". I'm not sure I'd say it was cheap gas so much as perhaps cheaper gas!

And of course, it was just a rumor ...

By the way, our guide was a college student who we thought did very well. Considering that I don't think any of the guides on the O tours were professionals, I doubt there are any real tour guides there. Certainly googling for tourist agencies in Murmansk brought up zilch.

It is what it is

It is not like SPB or Moscow

It is a seaport of historical significance

It is NOT a tourist destination in the general sense but interesting if you are a WW2 buff or an interest in the area.

The guide we had was well spoken and very funny explaining the new generation there.

Remember SPB was fixed up considerably for Bush's Presidential visit back in 2003 or 2002 & continuing influx of tourists

If you are expecting flashy buildings you will be disappointed

Lyn

We were on the Insignia's cruise to Murmansk last summer and found the city anything but bleak and dismal. We found it to be Murmansk, to be Russia. That was it's appeal. It is not a party island in the Caribbean; Murmansk isn't sexy. It is, however, a fascinating historical place--flush with turmoil, war, suffering and heroism--just like Russia herself. For example, Murmansk was a key port in the Allied convoys that supplied, and probably saved, Russia in the dark days of World War II. It has long been an important Russian naval port. It is also a city that most Americans will never see. We're so pleased that we visited there. We still occasionally joke about the "Russian" aspects of the visit. The little tugboats that shadowed us, KGB-style, on our voyage up and down the river. The black-suited KGB-like agents who stood guard outside the ship all day. Unfortunately, the Russians make tourism so difficult that it is hard to sample the city. We could not identify private guides beforehand, and I doubt they existed. You must have a Visa to enter the city by yourself. Oceania probably lined up as good a shore excursions as possible. They weren't nearly as good as they could have been. There was so much more to be done. Still, we got a lot out Murmansk. By the way, I didn't hear any rumor about us stopped there for cheap gas, and knowing the Russians, I doubt they gave Oceania anything cheap.

Thank you for your post - we are very much looking forward to visiting Murmansk - last year we did a Globus coach trip through Russia & Belarus and loved seeing the real Russia (cities like Novgorod & Smolensk; small towns & villages; the battlefields of Borodino; Katyn Forest), and not just the glamorous cities of St Petersburg & Moscow. Our guide often mentioned Murmansk (one of the "hero cities" - you came across memorials to it everywhere.) At the time, we never dreamed in a million years we would get to go there... :D

Remember SPB was fixed up considerably for Bush's Presidential visit back in 2003 or 2002 & continuing influx of tourists

Lyn

I personally attribute the major refurbishment of St. Petersburg to the celebrations held in 2003 in honor of the 300th anniversary of the founding of the city and the fact that Putin is from St. Petersburg rather than Bush's visit!

I personally attribute the major refurbishment of St. Petersburg to the celebrations held in 2003 in honor of the 300th anniversary of the founding of the city and the fact that Putin is from St. Petersburg rather than Bush's visit!

That is true also

We were in Catherine's Palace the week after Bush, they did not have enough Amber to finish the Amber room before Bush arrived so the top part of the room was Trompe- L' Oeil

Still very beautiful ;)

That is true also

We were in Catherine's Palace the week after Bush, they did not have enough Amber to finish the Amber room before Bush arrived so the top part of the room was Trompe- L' Oeil

Still very beautiful ;)

The kicker to that story is that just after they finished the replicated Amber Room, the original Amber room (which had been relocated by the ****s) was found at the bottom of an abandoned mineshaft.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/feb/20/discovered-labyrinth-may-hold-amber-room/

The kicker to that story is that just after they finished the replicated Amber Room, the original Amber room (which had been relocated by the ****s) was found at the bottom of an abandoned mineshaft.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/feb/20/discovered-labyrinth-may-hold-amber-room/

Just wishful thinking, apparently, Jim. Kaliningrad (formerly Koningsberg) is the latest "found the Amber Room" story (in 2010). Possibilities pop up yearly it seems, but so far, no cigar!:D

Archived