An OCD review of Golden/Hawaii-Pictures!!

hermajestylanie

On our cruise, the first movie would be shown at 9am. Usually an older one. There were lots of Hawaii based ones -- Hawaii (with Julie Andrews), Pearl Harbor, Lilo and Stich, Blue Hawaii. Then usually a concert film (Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, etc.). The main feature will usually start at 7pm and be repeated at 10pm. We found the staff better at setting up the deck chairs (they put a MUTS cover on each one) and handing out blankets, popcorn at the 7pm showing than at the 10pm one.

It was pretty cold on our cruise (the holiday one) so we only saw two of the movies -- it was so windy and cold. At least it had stopped raining. My teen saw a lot more of the movies, often with the other teens in the hot tub (esp. if it was raining). She found us on our first attempt to see a movie (Robin Hood) and told us where to find the popcorn (at the sundae stand by the pool). We were at the second showings both times so it was more a task trying to find blankets (more chairs were available then). Little lap blankets.

We also had the college bowl games and some of the pro football games that were shown on the MUTS screen.

My hubby and I watched a lot more movies from the comfort of our cabin.

Melanie,

How wonderful you are considering Alaska for your next Princess adventure! Hopefully you and husband got future cruise credits (FCC) while onboard to take advantage of reduced deposit and onboard credit. If not, you can always get one when you cruise again.

We have so enjoyed your Hawaii adventure and reminded us of ours just a few short months ago in Dec. The cruise to Hawaii is always on our short list along with Alaska being West-coasters. Alaska has a plethora of hiking, kayaking, ziplining, fishing, dogsledding, etc. Just so you know, many times a 7 day cruise doesn't give you enough time. Do consider if your budget can allow it to do a back-to-back.

We hope to meet you on the high seas sometime in the near future. You and husband are true cruisers.

:)Nora

Well, husband has been following my thread and since everyone has mentioned doing the Alaska cruise, he is saying "maybe we should just go and do that one now." Well, it doesnt take much for him to want to do something fun!

Melanie,

How wonderful you are considering Alaska for your next Princess adventure! Hopefully you and husband got future cruise credits (FCC) while onboard to take advantage of reduced deposit and onboard credit. If not, you can always get one when you cruise again.

We have so enjoyed your Hawaii adventure and reminded us of ours just a few short months ago in Dec. The cruise to Hawaii is always on our short list along with Alaska being West-coasters. Alaska has a plethora of hiking, kayaking, ziplining, fishing, dogsledding, etc. Just so you know, many times a 7 day cruise doesn't give you enough time. Do consider if your budget can allow it to do a back-to-back.

We hope to meet you on the high seas sometime in the near future. You and husband are true cruisers.

:)Nora

If by true cruisers you mean completely and utterly addicted, then yes. Yes we are. Alaska looks so beautiful. I just read a review that showed pictures of the people holding little baby sled dogs! So cute!

Is it nice to be close to ports that take off to both Hawaii and Alaska, isn't it?

Thanks for reading and happy cruising!

;) Me too! LOL!

Not a word from Princess! They don't even bother to return our calls! I'm not letting this go. I never want this to happen to anyone else. It could have been much worse. Happy cruising! :D

I was sorry to hear of your problems/injuries from the elevator on Golden and the lack of proper response from Princess.

We will be on the Golden next week. Could you share which elevator this was that was malfunctioning? I am sure that they have now made repairs, but I would be interested in knowing which one it was.

Thanks - and I hope that Princess will eventually come through for you.

Mary Lou

Here we are on a fun night! I think this was the night when lemoncello and other libations were brought out in force! :D

The picture with this post appears to show a happy couple. Was the elevator incident before or after the Italian Night where the Lemoncello flowed freely and the picture taken? :confused:

The picture with this post appears to show a happy couple. Was the elevator incident before or after the Italian Night where the Lemoncello flowed freely and the picture taken? :confused:

We're not expecting anything at all. We just want to be treated fairly. Just wondering how anyone else in the same situation might feel. Even after the accident, we always smiled for pictures. Who wants to look miserable on vacation - even if they feel it? As a teacher, no matter how I feel - I can smile! Cheers! ;)

The jam in a Sacher Torte is not peach, it is apricot. The dessert was created many years ago in Vienna. The cake tends to be a bit dry by present day taste.

You are right, it was apricot! As I was editing, I tried to remember which it was. Knew I could find it online, but didn't really feel the need to look it up. Oh well! I am sure there is a fan base out there; but as I said before, I am a chocolate purist! And I didn't know what it was from the menu description, so when the waiter merely said chocolate cake, I was expecting something else! Live and learn. The fudge cake, however, is exquisite. :D

I had the fettuccini with parmesan bowl and grilled veggie salad to start with.

5583727549_0e6cc6f090.jpg

Haven't been on Princess since 2004--glad to see they still have this dish! I love, love, love cheese, and this was perhaps the best fettucine alfredo dish I had ever had. Did I mention that I love cheese?:)

Thoroughly enjoying reading your review.

Thanks!

LOL! I can relate. My DH is a cop too, and we always take his picture in front of police stations wherever we travel. :)

Such a pain, right? :D He also bought a Hawaii PD shirt!

Haven't been on Princess since 2004--glad to see they still have this dish! I love, love, love cheese, and this was perhaps the best fettucine alfredo dish I had ever had. Did I mention that I love cheese?:)

Yes, but you REALLY have to ask for it (or at least from my experience). We only got it the second time we asked, after explaining it to the waiter. Has it always been like that, or was it easy to get before? I only knew about it from reading reviews on CC. And, you are right. It was delicious! I heart cheese too! Yum!

Yes, but you REALLY have to ask for it (or at least from my experience). We only got it the second time we asked, after explaining it to the waiter. Has it always been like that, or was it easy to get before? I only knew about it from reading reviews on CC. And, you are right. It was delicious! I heart cheese too! Yum!

Very strange. We were on the Sapphire in December and got the cheese "dish" with the fettucine 2x (my DD adored it so had to have it another time). I think even the menu stated that it came in the special dish. :confused:

Shouldn't be hard, right? We'll find out next month since we'll be on both ships. That and the chocolate Love Boat Dream are my favorite things of all time on the menu with Princess (although the fresh fish in Alaska is hard to beat too).

Katherine

Very strange. We were on the Sapphire in December and got the cheese "dish" with the fettucine 2x (my DD adored it so had to have it another time). I think even the menu stated that it came in the special dish. :confused:

Shouldn't be hard, right? We'll find out next month since we'll be on both ships. That and the chocolate Love Boat Dream are my favorite things of all time on the menu with Princess (although the fresh fish in Alaska is hard to beat too).

Katherine

Must just be me then! I never saw it on the menu though.

Fresh fish in Alaska? Do they have different menus for the Alaska cruise? Or is it just fresher ingredients?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I became addicted to your posting.The Hawaii cruise is one that we are looking at and is on our to do list for sure!

When you do the Alaska cruise I am sure you will love it as well. Been there and done that and would do the Alaska Cruise again anytime.

Thank you again for sharing.:)

Keep On Sailing!

Thanks!

Such a pain, right? :D He also bought a Hawaii PD shirt!

In 2004, every time I ordered the fettucine (which was basically every night:D), it came in the parmesan bowl--I never had to ask for it. That was my first and only time on Princess, though. Maybe a more frequent Princess cruiser could shed some light on this for us.

In 2004, every time I ordered the fettucine (which was basically every night:D), it came in the parmesan bowl--I never had to ask for it. That was my first and only time on Princess, though. Maybe a more frequent Princess cruiser could shed some light on this for us.

I've had it many times and it's never come in the cheese bowl. :(

It's always really rich and really good, though!

Lanie,

Wow, WOW and Double Wow! What a review! Hats off to you girl because I do NOT have the perseverance to write such a detailed review...but I sure as heck enjoyed it! And, yes, I like !!!!! too! LOL! Oh, and it took me about 3 or so hours to read it, but like a good book, I couldn't stop!

I have one question for you:

Where did you get your snorkle gear in the tote bag? We are flying to Belize in June and your set-up sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

thanks for the review! we are doing the same cruise with disney next april....very informative...i also looked up the tour company you mentioned in hilo, it looks great, I am gonna get in touch with them :) thanks!

Oh, Disney! I hear cruises with them are wonderful! Hope you have a great time! Yes, our tour was fantastic! Our tour operator was soooo nice, accomodating, and thought of everything. And the group was small, which seems to give you more time becasue you don't have to wait for tons of people. I don't think you wil be disappointed.

Happy cruising!

Lanie,

Wow, WOW and Double Wow! What a review! Hats off to you girl because I do NOT have the perseverance to write such a detailed review...but I sure as heck enjoyed it! And, yes, I like !!!!! too! LOL! Oh, and it took me about 3 or so hours to read it, but like a good book, I couldn't stop!

I have one question for you:

Where did you get your snorkle gear in the tote bag? We are flying to Belize in June and your set-up sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

Aw, thank you! It's not really the perserverance, it's mostly that I am not working and I have nothing to do! (Although I finally found a job to apply for, cross your fingers for me!)

So, I got the gear just from Amazon. The brand is U.S. Divers (just enter US Divers Diva Snorkle Set into the search box for the women's and US Divers Admiral Snorkle Set for the men's), and they come in different colors, sizes, and for men/women. I think mine ended up being more expensive than husband's, but they were very reasonable. I LOVE the short fins, they are wonderful, and the snorkle really does keep the water out. If you can't find them, let me know and I can send you the link. Here is my email: hermajestylanie@yahoo.com.

Ah, Belize! I am so jealous! I hear the snorkeling is wonderful there!! Have a great time. Hope the gear works for you.

Oh, Disney! I hear cruises with them are wonderful! Hope you have a great time! Yes, our tour was fantastic! Our tour operator was soooo nice, accomodating, and thought of everything. And the group was small, which seems to give you more time becasue you don't have to wait for tons of people. I don't think you wil be disappointed.

Happy cruising!

Aw, thank you! It's not really the perserverance, it's mostly that I am not working and I have nothing to do! (Although I finally found a job to apply for, cross your fingers for me!)

So, I got the gear just from Amazon. The brand is U.S. Divers (just enter US Divers Diva Snorkle Set into the search box for the women's and US Divers Admiral Snorkle Set for the men's), and they come in different colors, sizes, and for men/women. I think mine ended up being more expensive than husband's, but they were very reasonable. I LOVE the short fins, they are wonderful, and the snorkle really does keep the water out. If you can't find them, let me know and I can send you the link. Here is my email: hermajestylanie@yahoo.com.

Ah, Belize! I am so jealous! I hear the snorkeling is wonderful there!! Have a great time. Hope the gear works for you.

Lanie,

Thanks for the quick response! I've already found it...looks like PINK for me! We are very excited about our Belize trip in June! Actually, next March, we are going on a cruise on the Norwegian Spirit and will be visiting Belize on that cruise along with Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. We will get a sneak peak of Belize in June prior to our cruise. We are flying to Belize with another couple. We will have lots of excursions planned. We are staying on a private beach and will have lots of time for snorkling....CAN'T WAIT! This will be our first cruise with Norwegian and are kind of hesitant since our first 2 cruises were with Princess and we absolutely loved them both. First was on the Golden to Alaska and the 2nd was on the Sapphire to the Mexican Riviera.

I saw that you are considering either Alaska or the Panama Canal cruise. We did Alaska in June 2010 and words cannot describe the vast beauty of this state. If you can, do Alaska! It was a trip of a lifetime and we'll never forget it! I know I don't have to say that you'll take LOTS of pictures...the scenery is epic and gorgeous!

Lanie,

Thanks for the quick response! I've already found it...looks like PINK for me! We are very excited about our Belize trip in June! Actually, next March, we are going on a cruise on the Norwegian Spirit and will be visiting Belize on that cruise along with Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. We will get a sneak peak of Belize in June prior to our cruise. We are flying to Belize with another couple. We will have lots of excursions planned. We are staying on a private beach and will have lots of time for snorkling....CAN'T WAIT! This will be our first cruise with Norwegian and are kind of hesitant since our first 2 cruises were with Princess and we absolutely loved them both. First was on the Golden to Alaska and the 2nd was on the Sapphire to the Mexican Riviera.

I saw that you are considering either Alaska or the Panama Canal cruise. We did Alaska in June 2010 and words cannot describe the vast beauty of this state. If you can, do Alaska! It was a trip of a lifetime and we'll never forget it! I know I don't have to say that you'll take LOTS of pictures...the scenery is epic and gorgeous!

Well you haave a lot of great snorkeling ahead of you! I hear Roatan is great for that as well! Have so much fun!!!

Yes, we are considering Alaska- it seemed as if everyone on our Hawaii cruise had been there and had nothing but amazing things to say about it. Plus some review I saw were fantastic as well and the pictures I saw took my breath away! So, here's hoping!

Feeling hungry, we headed to the buffet for breakfast, second breakfast for husband. I don’t know what everyone is complaining about. I thought the food was hot and pretty good. But, the French toast, pancakes, and waffles were a bit soggy if they had been sitting out for any length of time. They had some good non fat plain yogurt (with Splenda) and the All Bran original cereal too for the fiber die hards like me (I have seen people posting that they only offer the flakes, but that was not the case here). They had a nice selection of pancakes, waffles, eggs, French toast, egg muffins, American bacon, English bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, various prepared potatoes, oatmeal, muesli, and a selection of muffins/pastries. There was wait staff that brought you drinks and complimentary OJ and coffee. Silverware is laid out on the table for you already.

Our usual fare. husband loved the eggs and I was partial to the super fresh pineapple:

5578598120_d67ba0a0b3.jpg

5578597410_26e240973b.jpg

After showering and getting ready, we took some drinks and headed to the Ukulele class at 11AM.

This is seriously what he looked like most of the time. Hard core liquid consumption. I was getting tired of waiting for him outside the bathroom 12 times a day! At least all of these are virgin drinks, or else he would have been comatose:

5578582794_42a8a25b48.jpg

The class was taught by Dave the CD and was a very fun time! They provided instruments and little music books for everyone to use and taught us 4 chords and a song. We then signed up for the series of classes (every sea day until the end of the cruise). And it is all free! They were selling instruments after the practice, but I have heard you can get a cheaper one once you get to Hawaii. I have a bit of a musical background, so it came a bit easier for me (they do offer one intermediate class for those with a substantial guitar background). Husband has zero musical background, but was able to catch on quickly. I think it is something that everyone can learn and they go at a nice and slow pace, so it should be comfortable for those with no training.

5577972571_2926d45f7b.jpg

5577976373_1c37dd3b21.jpg

5577254867_d70871e032.jpg

I must compliment you, Lanie, on your food choices. I am a WeightWatchers Lifetime member, but have gotten away from the plan. Just yesterday, I went back bc I have gone 6# over my goal weight and I have an important wedding to go to in May 2011. I see you eat high-fiber and low fat. I also like how you make allowances for sweet deserts since you are cruising. LOL

I'm a die-hard RCI cheerleader and just couldn't imagine what everyone raves about with the other lines. After looking at your pic and reading your review, I now know why!! Wow.

Also, the DH and I are booked on POA with NCL for a Dec Hawaii cruise. It is sooo POC loaded. I used to think, why would anyone want that many sea days when going to HI. Now I know. If ever I get to go to HI again, I'll go with a line that has more sea days just to relax some and not get worn out. Thanks for taking the time to write the review. Just love your foodie pics.