An OCD review of Golden/Hawaii-Pictures!!

hermajestylanie

Lanie,

Thanks so much for your very thorough review! My wife and I are experienced Princess cruisers that are booked on the Golden Princess Nov 23 sailing.

I particularly enjoyed your comments on the 'Aina tour in Hilo. I've been in contact with Gil and I'm working out details for a trip for us. BTW, you misspelled their name in post 313 (ania rather than aina); perhaps this can be edited.

I was very impressed with your food photography. I often attempt it but have been frustrated. Without a flash the picture looks too dark. But the flash bouncing off of the white plate tends to wash out my pictures. Are you using manual mode or doing exposure correction?

We are also in CA, in Saratoga near San Jose. Thanks again, Bob

Thanks for pointing out the misspelling- I will try to correct it! Hope you have a lot of fun with Aina- they were really great.

As for the pictures, I just used manual mode on my Cannon SX210. I'm not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination. Sometimes I had to take the picture a couple times because I had the wrong angle or the flash was too bright and had the white of the plate bounced back, but it didnt happen too much. The camera was great! Our last camera, not aso much.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Lanie,

Thanks so much for your very thorough review! My wife and I are experienced Princess cruisers that are booked on the Golden Princess Nov 23 sailing.

I particularly enjoyed your comments on the 'Aina tour in Hilo. I've been in contact with Gil and I'm working out details for a trip for us. BTW, you misspelled their name in post 313 (ania rather than aina); perhaps this can be edited.

I was very impressed with your food photography. I often attempt it but have been frustrated. Without a flash the picture looks too dark. But the flash bouncing off of the white plate tends to wash out my pictures. Are you using manual mode or doing exposure correction?

We are also in CA, in Saratoga near San Jose. Thanks again, Bob

:p Just took my entire morning and read your review! Thanks so much for all the info and photos! We are leaving on January 18/12 and can't wait! I will probably go back and read through the posts again and start making notes on things to do, not to do, to eat, not to eat, so on and so on!!

Glad to hear the pools are fresh water! Not a big fan of salt water unless it surrounds an island!!

Do you recall the name of the whale watching tour you took? I don't remember reading it, but it seemed quite reasonably priced and the fact that the boat had washrooms :o ....sounds like a good tour to book!!

Thanks again!

It is quite lenghty! But I tried to make it helpful to people planning their own Hawaii trip.

Yes, the whale watching was called Lahaina Cruise Co., Eco Ocean excursions at slip 3. I dont know about a website for them, as we just booked with them when we got to land. But, they were the company that princess uses for the Molokini snorkel tour, but they also offer other trips as well. There are a bunch of booths lined up right as you get off the ship, all offering about the same thing for about the same price! It was a good time though, ad the boat was comfortable. I dont think you could go wrong booking with them. Also, if oyu check out the hawaii boards, there are a lot of ideas there for other shore excursions. I read reviews and checked out those boards when I was planning and they were a great resource. Happy planning and I hope you ahve a great trip!

:p Just took my entire morning and read your review! Thanks so much for all the info and photos! We are leaving on January 18/12 and can't wait! I will probably go back and read through the posts again and start making notes on things to do, not to do, to eat, not to eat, so on and so on!!

Glad to hear the pools are fresh water! Not a big fan of salt water unless it surrounds an island!!

Do you recall the name of the whale watching tour you took? I don't remember reading it, but it seemed quite reasonably priced and the fact that the boat had washrooms :o ....sounds like a good tour to book!!

Thanks again!

Wanted to let you know we just got back and it was wonderful.

Cold and a little rainy but beautiful scenery. We saw lots of whales on a sea day just west of Vancover Is.

Yes, the hot tubs were hot. We even sat in the rain/Hot tub in Skagway.

We really liked the Sea Princess even though it is smaller than many cruise ships.

We liked that.......more intimate. We love classical music and they had a wonderful string quartet.

I noticed that you sailed on the Splendor. I am considering a 2013 cruise to Hawaii on the Splendor. How was it and would you sail her again? We probably won't be able to sail before then.

I am glad you had such a good time in alaska! I have wondered about the smaller ships and if people feel there is enough to do on them.

The Splendor is a bit crazy, but we really liked it. The decor is bright and random and the ship design is a bit confusing. But, I loved the comedy club and the entertainment. The hot tubs were great and well positioned. But, if you like to hang out on the outside chairs, there are not many available and there were kids running around screaming all the time! Such is Carnival! The main outside area has a retractable sunroof so they can close it when it rains, but this translates to a bit of an awkward main area set up. I do like the dining rooms on Carnival better- how they are set up, though Princess food rocks! The Splendor had some nice separate food areas in buffet area when you can get different things. I think there was much more of a selection on the Splendor. It is a nice big ship all in all. We would totally go again. In fact, we are thinking about doing either another 7 day on the Splendor or a 4 day to Mexico in a couple months for a babymoon (I am newly pregnant for the first time), but I may not want to go with the chance of catching some illness being much higher on a cruise!

All in all, it is a good ship. But 2013 is so far away!

Wanted to let you know we just got back and it was wonderful.

Cold and a little rainy but beautiful scenery. We saw lots of whales on a sea day just west of Vancover Is.

Yes, the hot tubs were hot. We even sat in the rain/Hot tub in Skagway.

We really liked the Sea Princess even though it is smaller than many cruise ships.

We liked that.......more intimate. We love classical music and they had a wonderful string quartet.

I noticed that you sailed on the Splendor. I am considering a 2013 cruise to Hawaii on the Splendor. How was it and would you sail her again? We probably won't be able to sail before then.

Lanie, Thanks for such a GREAT/AWESOME review....

I just read it AGAIN for a second time....:D

Were going on this same cruise Nov 9th and cant wait....

Reading your review made me feel like I was on the ship...:)

Whats your next cruise your planning on?

Thanks again

Lanie, Thanks for such a GREAT/AWESOME review....

I just read it AGAIN for a second time....:D

Were going on this same cruise Nov 9th and cant wait....

Reading your review made me feel like I was on the ship...:)

Whats your next cruise your planning on?

Thanks again

Husband is hoping that we can catch a short cruise either to Mexico out of southern CA or that I will be really impulsive and do one out of the carribean again (I just hate having to fly out there though). I might do it if we can just get one on the fly for cheap. Otherwise that money is for the baby!

Have fun on your cruise! It was so great- I am sure you will love it!

Great review, thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm hungry now!!! Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope you get one last vacation in before the baby!!!

Thanks! I can't look at my food pictures without being super hungry too! Yeah, we would like to get away somewhere. Might just end up going to Carmel/Monterey though instead. Boo. Land vacations are not as fun.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and thank you for providing me, another cruise fanatic, with hours of reading entertainment! My husband and I are just a year older than you and love cruising, too! It's nice to see other people our age enjoying cruising, too. My husband and I will be going on the same cruise next March, and your review made me realize that we'll be celebrating St. Patrick's Day on ours, too. I hope you will have the opportunity to do an Alaska cruise some day! We live here, and it's spectacularly gorgeous! We regularly do the Alaska cruise despite being Alaskans, and we never tire of it. Hope you have a healthy pregnancy!!

I've been reading your totally awesome review for the last couple of hours. :) We did our Hawaii cruise on the Diamond.

Just loved all of the pictures! I usually snap 3,000+ pics on each cruise and I loved it when you said you snapped 3,000. :)

BTW...congrats on your pregnancy! Very pleased for you and your hub!:)

Edited by JWJs

You know, I really like the age range on the Princess ships! There does seem to be a good portion of couples in their early 30s, whereas on Carnival there are a lot of early 20s groups (playing beer pong!). Which is fun too, but not as relaxing!

Alaska is beautiful- jealous that you guys get to go on those cruises all the time! My parents did one in the late 60s for their honeymoon and they still talk about how great it was!

Have fun on your Hawaii cruise! It was really awesome.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and thank you for providing me, another cruise fanatic, with hours of reading entertainment! My husband and I are just a year older than you and love cruising, too! It's nice to see other people our age enjoying cruising, too. My husband and I will be going on the same cruise next March, and your review made me realize that we'll be celebrating St. Patrick's Day on ours, too. I hope you will have the opportunity to do an Alaska cruise some day! We live here, and it's spectacularly gorgeous! We regularly do the Alaska cruise despite being Alaskans, and we never tire of it. Hope you have a healthy pregnancy!!

Thank you for the excellent review. Although we are going on the Coral and to Panama Canal, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and looking at your photos, now I know what to expect and I can't wait!

Congratulations on your pregnancy, hope everything goes well.:)

Oh man, I am trying so hard not to read trip reviews of the Pamama cruise becasue I want to go so bad! And I know if I read them, I will be fixated on going. I have heard nothing but great things about the Pamama cruise- its on the bucket list. Have such a good time!

GREAT review and photos of all the YUMMO food. I have enjoyed your reviews/photos in the past before. Your reviews always make me feel as if I am there on the cruise with you. Thanks for all your info/experiences and photos you have shared with us!:D

Welcome! I love taking food pictures (to torture myself with later!)

I've been reading your totally awesome review for the last couple of hours. :) We did our Hawaii cruise on the Diamond.

Just loved all of the pictures! I usually snap 3,000+ pics on each cruise and I loved it when you said you snapped 3,000. :)

BTW...congrats on your pregnancy! Very pleased for you and your hub!:)

Aww, thanks! I love meeting other picture takers like me! I bet you take your camera everywhere with you on the cruise too! I have gotten halfway to breakfast and then had to turn back because I forgot my camera in the room. Husband sighs, but he goes with it.

You will have one lucky child because you can relate stories in such a way to keep people interested. You are an amazing young lady. Bless you both for taking the time to create a warm and wonderful review. Everything is not perfect and it is a special person to be able to adjust to life as it is. Good, bad or indifferent you go along and accept the things that are and try to help that which is not. We will be doing this same cruise next month and i too am one who makes do with what is handed to me. I love your pictures and especially the food ones as i am picky and won't order what i do not know. Thru you and your pictures i can see what these dishes are and i feel free to order some of these. Thank you very much for my seeing this cruise thru your eyes. congratulations mom and dad.

Thank you so much! I am a bit of a scared eater too- the pictures tend to make everything better! I am glad you have some use for them. Have a great time next month on your cruise!

You will have one lucky child because you can relate stories in such a way to keep people interested. You are an amazing young lady. Bless you both for taking the time to create a warm and wonderful review. Everything is not perfect and it is a special person to be able to adjust to life as it is. Good, bad or indifferent you go along and accept the things that are and try to help that which is not. We will be doing this same cruise next month and i too am one who makes do with what is handed to me. I love your pictures and especially the food ones as i am picky and won't order what i do not know. Thru you and your pictures i can see what these dishes are and i feel free to order some of these. Thank you very much for my seeing this cruise thru your eyes. congratulations mom and dad.

Thanks! This is my first real review on here. On my first cruise i didnt know about this site and on the second one, I meant to do a review, but I kept having trouble with the pictures, and then got really busy! So for this one, I wanted to make sure I got it done! It was fun to do, so any other cruises i go one, I think I will have to review. But, that might not be for a while!

I've really enjoyed your review and pix, thank-you for taking the time to share your vacation with us. Congrats on your impending parenthood! Have you done reviews like this of your other cruises?

Yes! :(:(:( Husband has been following my thread as well (mainly to check what I am writing about him- I'm on to you husband!) and just now read the last page. Since I got all sappy in my ramblings he ran over to me all sarcastically and said "oh, are you so sad?" Well yes. Yes I am. It is sad, because now it is really over! And we don't even have another cruise planned.

What do people do to get over the post-cruise let down?

So simple book another cruise, it's the only thing that helps me, even if it's several months away, I'm excited just knowing I am going again...We took our first cruise 4.5 years ago and we have been on at lest 12, I am addicted, but in only 4 years I have sailed all over the world, I would have never thought that possible, one thing I do is whenever I am on board I always buy future cruise certificates, so I get the great room credits and the amount you paid then becomes your deposit on the next cruise. This Nov we are taking this same cruise, since I was not able to do the South Pacific again, but I like Hawaii, (husband used to have the islands as part of his work territory) in laws lived there so spent alot of time there, more excited about being on board, love the sea days! Thanks for the great review

• 2 weeks later...

Melanie,

I just finished your review/blog last night. I have to ditto every comment about your writing skills. It was real; not watered down, not negative. I really appreciate the pics too. I hope we can have the same wonderful experience as you and your sweetie. We sail on Oct. 26. This is our 4th cruise, and celebrating our 25th year of marriage.

Congratulations on the baby. I know you must be excited.

Cindy from the Hot SoCal Desert :)

Melanie,

I just finished your review/blog last night. I have to ditto every comment about your writing skills. It was real; not watered down, not negative. I really appreciate the pics too. I hope we can have the same wonderful experience as you and your sweetie. We sail on Oct. 26. This is our 4th cruise, and celebrating our 25th year of marriage.

Congratulations on the baby. I know you must be excited.

Cindy from the Hot SoCal Desert :)

Wow! Congrats on your anniversary! What a great way to celebrate- have a great time!