Day Trip from Malaga

swcruise

Hi,

We will be staying in Malaga overnight at the end of our cruise in September. I am considering two options for this day :-

1) Seville- Having looked at the train webite, it is about 2.5 hours away.

2) The 2nd option is Cordoba which is over an hour away by train

I would be interested in your opinion on both of these cities and which one you would recommend. Is Seville a little far for a day trip ??

I also researched Ronda, but I was unable to find a way to get there via public transport or private tour bus. We will be there on a Saturday, if anybody had information on how we could do this I would be most interested ? :- car rental isn't an option for us.

Tks, looking forward to your replies and suggestions.

S

Autobuses Portillo services Malaga to Ronda (takes 2hrs 45 mins). They have buses at 10AM and 12:30PM , and return at 4:30 PM and 8 PM

http://www.ctsa-portillo.es/ima/pdf/malaga.pdf

You could also do Granada, approx 2 hrs from Malaga. I did it via private tour, let me see if I can find the public transport options.

I didnt realize Cordoba is so close by train, it must be an AVE train. Cordoba is interesting, specially the Mezquita. I would probably do that given its that close and its more compact than doing Granada or Sevilla.

Since we went to Granada , we didnt spend any time in Malaga , but I'm told its very nice.

Editing to add: There is coach bus service to Granada . The company is http://www.alsa.es . Trip can be between 1:30 hrs-2+ hrs, depending how direct is the bus.

CruiseLuv: Yes, it is an AVE train to Cordoba and it seems the easiest with regular trains and the shortest journey of the three choices I am currently pondering.

Tks for the link to the bus schedule for Ronda - what I have read about it makes me want to visit, but like Seville it is 5 plus hours travelling before you even starting touring the town so it may be to much for one day..

• 2 weeks later...

I have done 3 land trips to southern Spain staying in Marbella. Rhoda and Sevilla would be too much for a day trip, Malaga itself is a beautiful city. You might want to consider staying in the city especially after a port extensive cruise. Nerja about 30 minutes from Malaga is very nice and the caves nearby are awesone. Another option is a tour to the Alhambra in Granada. Maybe see if your hotel offers this.

Ronda is about 90 mins e/w by car.

But by train the connection times (no direct service) mean about 3 hrs e/w, by service buses both the timetables & journey time conspire against the cruiser, & tour buses (simple out & back transfers from hotels) again the start/return times are unsuitable for cruisers.

Check out this thread:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1374364&highlight=

Mijas Pueblo is easy by car 20 miles, or by train 20 miles to Fuengirola then bus 6 miles to Mijas.

Check out these threads:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1380199&highlight=

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1394531&highlight=

Nerja - the town centre is pretty compact & interesting if not specacular (though check out the Balcon de Europe), the caves are a short taxi ride out of town. 35 miles/45 mins by road from Malaga

Granada under 2 hours. The only significant point-of-interest is the Alhambra, for which you need advance timed tickets, which is why most cruisers visit by ship's excursion.

Sorry, can't help with Cordoba or Seville

John Bull :)

If wanting to do a trip inland?

Granada.

Yes (As already stated above) The Alhambra is the primary attraction there. If you suspect that the combination of the culture/history/architecture of the old Moorish fortress as well as the scenery via the train across the Andalucia countryside may pique your interest(s)?...Research it further.

From personal experience of having been to the three cities(Cordoba/Sevilla/Granada)...If being given the choice of only one to forge a day trip...It would be Granada.

Thanks All,

We will be in Malaga pre cruise for 1.5 days so we have a plan in place to see the city. We will probably do the HOHO bus and hop on and off to see the sights and do a little walking. Are there any beaches that you would suggest that would be good to walk along near Malaga and what are the options to get there on public transport ?

On our return from the cruise we have decided to head for Nerja on the Sunday, we have a very late flight leaving Malaga at 10.30 pm and looking at the bus timteables I think that is doable.

So now we just have to decide on Saturday. I have read about Granada and think it sounds amazing but think it is a little far for a day trip. A car is not in the equation for us so will need to travel via bus/train or tour operator. I have semi-settled on Cordoba, I was a little surprised at train prices I thought they would be less in Spain. It seems we we take the regular train it will be 44 euro return and the AVE will be 90 euro approx. It just depends on which train we make outbound that will determine the price, I know we can mix and match and get the cheaper one back if it fits time wise. I am just trying to figure if at the top end Cordoba is worth 270 depending on the timetable options on the day (3 in our group for a day trip..)... Any feedback on this city may help convince me one way or the other....

Joh Bull has given me additional food for throught and we may head to Mijas on the Saturday..

One thing that I hadn't realised was how short a trip it is from Malaga to Madrid on AVE, it is just over two hours.. From the map of Spain, I would have anticipated that it was much further. If I had researched before I booked the flights I think that I may have considered overnighting in Madrid and returning from there on the Sunday. Too late now, will leave Madrid to another trip and make the most out of the trip to the Costa del Sol..

If wanting to do a trip inland?

Granada.

Yes (As already stated above) The Alhambra is the primary attraction there. If you suspect that the combination of the culture/history/architecture of the old Moorish fortress as well as the scenery via the train across the Andalucia countryside may pique your interest(s)?...Research it further.

From personal experience of having been to the three cities(Cordoba/Sevilla/Granada)...If being given the choice of only one to forge a day trip...It would be Granada.

I recently did an NCL excursion from Malaga to Granada that primarily went to the Alhambra, which was great.

I had been to Sevilla over 25 years ago, staying there for two nights. There is more to see in Sevilla. The Cathedral is spectacular, but the Alhambra is very special. I think Granada is closer, so I would probably recommend Granada. If you don't want to go to Granada, Cordoba might be worth it, I don't think Malaga has that much to see. Get a Rick Steves guide to Spain.

It depends how long you are going to be in Malaga. I found Malaga charming. We did a very touristy horse drawn carriage ride to the castle in the center of town and got off there. This castle or palace was lovely. We spent the day there for a nominal entrance fee and enjoyed the scenery from high on the hill. We did a bit of shopping and then back on the ship. I really liked Malaga.

Are there any beaches that you would suggest that would be good to walk along near Malaga and what are the options to get there on public transport ?

quote]

If you're looking for quiet & scenic beaches I fear you may be disappointed. I don't know every inch of the coastline, but from Nerja in the east almost to Gibraltar in the west it's wall-to-wall developments - the only way you know you've gone from one town to the next is the boundary signs. Nothing but beachfront hotels / condos / unbanisations / tourist tat. This is vacationland for northern europeans.

Serenity is just a few miles inland, up in the hills, and with super coastline views.

JB

With just one day, I would be tempted to enjoy Malaga. It's a beautiful city and the train which operates nearly every 20 minutes is very efficient. You could explore some of the Costa del sol which is very beautiful if you so wish.

All the cities are beautiful but you will spend a lot of time travelling and I am afraid may be rushed to see all these cities have to offer.

Just another thought. But Alhambra is stupendous :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived