How Does "Free Internet Access" Work?

stones902

We are becoming platinum members shortly and one of the advertised perks is free internet access. Can anyone tell me how this works? Does this mean free access in your cabin? Should I bring a laptop? or is this free internet in the public internet cafe room?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Free internet in the public internet cafe for sure. Do not know about bringing your laptop and going wireless in specified areas is free or not. I do know that Princess has no cabins where you can access the internet.

When you go to the Internet Cafe, you scan your cruise card and the amount will show up on your bill. However, at the end of your cruise it will be deducted if you are either Platinum or an Elite Member.

Answer above is correct, no internet access in the rooms on Princess.

Also not sure if the free internet includes the wireless access if you bring your own laptop in the Atrium. It is quite new to most of the Princess fleet so there is not much feed back on it as of yet.

The free interenet access for Platinum/Elite cruisers is for terminals located in the internet cafe (and probably in the library of some ships). Wireless access is not available in the cabins, just in certain public area locations. Wireless access is not free for Platinum/Elite cruisers. Wireless access costs $0.35/minute and is must be purchased in 30 minute blocks. You can purchase wireless access at the Pursers desk. You will recieve a card with an account number and an access code. When you have used up the 30 minutes you must purchase another card. This information was accurate as of our last cruise (January 2005), but may change.

At least I hope they will upgrade their wireless access to cover passenger cabins in the future.

I heard from a friend that there weren't enough terminals on the ship she was on and that there was always a wait. This may have been awhile ago, so hopefully conditions have improved. I am curious about the Royal Princess. Anyone know?

I heard from a friend that there weren't enough terminals on the ship she was on and that there was always a wait. This may have been awhile ago, so hopefully conditions have improved. I am curious about the Royal Princess. Anyone know?

I have never had to wait to use the internet on any of the ships I have sailed on. I could possibly see an issue if someone was sailing on the Pacific, Tahitian, Royal, etc. . Sorry, can't help you with the Royal.

When I was on the Royal Princess two years ago there were only 3 or 4 computers in the library area. That was their internet center. They also had wireless laptops available at the purser's desk for use in the atrium area (that was before you could use your own laptop with wireless signal). Platinum members (there was no elite level at that time) were restricted to using the wireless laptops if they wanted to use their free internet access. It may well have changed since then, but there really wasn't much room in the library area to add more terminals.

We were on the Dawn in December and I'd say there were 20-24 terminals in a newly refurbished computer room. It was never even 1/4 filled. Free wireless for Platinum members was only available there - as mentioned above, you have to pay for it like everyone else if you bring your own laptop and use it in the atrium.

To add to the confusion, the Regal Princess has ONLY wireless laptops that you sign out at the Pursar's Desk. They do not have desktops. You can use the laptops at either tables provided nearby or sit in the Atrium and use it there.

The bottom line is that the number and type of computers varies by ship: some have only a few computers, others (like the Caribbean Princess) have not only an Internet cafe but also computers in the library. The older ships such as the Royal and Regal were built before the Internet became ubiquitous and would take some major renovations to create an Internet cafe.

When you become Platinum and get the unlimited Internet access, be sure to check your bill during your cruise and especially the night before debarkation to make sure that the charges are correctly identified and removed.

We just returned from the Island Princess in the Internet Cafe on deck 8 there were two areas with computers (8 each) there were occassional waits but not often, the charge was $.35/minute and $1.00 page for printing. The connection was slow depending on your position at sea and the satelites. It took almost two minutes to connect to AOl and others said that was quicker than connection to other IPS. Enjoy your free conection ....it is easy as others have said...just swipe your card. You are informed of the charges as you sign off (be sure to do so or you are paying for the next person who uses that terminal).

I haven't yet been on the RP, but I never had to wait on the Grand, Caribbean, or Star...

Hopefully it will be the same for you on the Royal!

Be sure to post us a note when you get on!! ;)

Archived