London to Harwich by Train - First Class?

Probably will be a Class 321 train, so the only real difference is standard has 3+2 seats in a row and first has 2+2 seats. Not enough to warrant paying first class fare in my book. Its only about a 75 minute trip and standard is perfectly adequate.

Simon

We took the train from Harwich to London on our Baltic cruise. It is not really worth the extra money for 1st class. We did not take the cruise train, which is direct, but a regular scheduled train, with stops, and it was not full. It took only about 15 minutes more. We had plenty of room to spread out bags and all. If I recall they have a train that runs about every hour or so. It was very easy.

I'm looking at taking the train from London to Harwich for our upcoming TA. What is the difference between First Class & Standard? I can't find anything describing the differences.

Thanks!

We did first class on the return from Harwich-Liverpool Street Station and was glad we did as the train was VERY crowded..first class seating was better for us as the seating is 2's and had plenty of room for our luggage right next to us...Each to their own...;):)

• 1 month later...

Will need to go from London to Harwich on July 17. Read somewhere that the Liverpool train station will be in repair and that shuttle bus service will be substituted.

Is there another way to get to Harwich?

What is the best way to go from Harwich to Heathrow?

I've just checked the National Rail website and it says that there is just a substitute bus service from Manningtree (where you would normally have to change anyway) to Harwich Int. Even with the bus part way, this is still the way I'd go to Harwich, but I'd get a slightly earlier service just in case loads of cruisers are doing the same thing!

Harwich to LHR..there is no really easy way. Start off by getting the train back to Liverpool Street. If you are happy using the tube and getting your luggage up and down escalators and some stairs, use the tube. Take the Central line to Holborn and change onto the Piccadilly to LHR..cost about £5 each. Other option is to grab a cab at Liverpool St and go to Paddington (about £10 - £15), then get the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect to LHR. Express is about £15 and goes to T1,2,3 & 5..Connect is about £12 and goes to T1,2,3 & 4.

Simon

• 2 years later...
We did first class on the return from Harwich-Liverpool Street Station and was glad we did as the train was VERY crowded..first class seating was better for us as the seating is 2's and had plenty of room for our luggage right next to us...Each to their own...;):)

Did First Class include assigned seating?

Did First Class include assigned seating?

No not assigned seating...but our first class area was empty and we had our choice of seats..a few other passengers got on at a couple of stops..so it was basically first come first seated.

Actually thats a good point. Whilst space probably isnt an issue getting to Harwich the return journey is more likely to have a concentration of passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app