Tilt Head for Monopod?

I have decided to take along a Canon 100 - 400mm to Alaska in July. I began to wonder about a monopod (which seems like a good idea) and then I read on another forum about the advantages of using a titl head with the monopod. I then visited the Really Right Stuff site - and yes, they do have some really nice stuff - and one probably would not need to go that overboard ($$) - then again, I would not want the lens to take a tumble either. We have a bear watching excursion to Anan Creek, and I thought that I could brace the monopod against a railing and then use the tilt head to get the angle I want. Whaddyathink?

Thanks for your feedback!

Ollie:)

I use Kirk ballheads (BH-3) and they are great. Very, very well constructed. Not sure about there mono heads but the BH-3 is great. Nice people to deal with as well. I'm also a big fan of their "L" brackets. Very convenient to use. I think a monopod at a minimum is a good idea. A tripod is even better if you want to carry it. Have a great trip and enjoy Alaska, it is amazing up there. Take care, Jim

I use a Giottos MH1001-652 ballhead on my monopod and have found that leaving the ball free to move with the tension turned up allows me to tilt the camera easily while still offering good support. If I need it to be solid, a twist of the knob locks it down. The ballhead also allows me to flip my camera to portrait orientation with minimum fuss.

For bear viewing, I would tend to agree with Icruzthere4Iam about a tripod with a caveat regarding crowds on the platform. I also travel with a compact Velbon Ultra-Maxi tripod (with a small MH1004 mini ballhead) that has proven to be an excellent monopod when needed. I always have a few velcro straps looped on my bag handle that I can bind the legs with when crowds make using it as a tripod inconvenient.

Dave

I'm using an Opteka pistol grip tilt head on my SLYK carbon-fiber monopod. While it's a bit heavier than the average head, it offers superb control, it make the monopod easy to carry and it offers a quick-release head. I'm delighted with it: about $40 through Amazon.

The opteka head is no longer available in us amazon, but still available in uk amazon. It's a cool idea, I am thinking about getting a ball/tilt head for the monopod as well...

I just checked Amazon and it's available in U.S. through 47th Street Photo, but fulfilled by Amazon. Just type into their SEARCH field: Opteka Pistol Grip. It's $29.00, discounted from a list of $130 and it's available with Prime (free 2-day) Delivery. It's listed as "In Stock." There is another listing for one used one, but the new ones are also listed.

Thank you all for your comments - this is an exciting time! Pilot Dane - would you please comment further on "the monopod is overkill in many respects...."

Pilotdane can answer but I have the same "overkill" factor on my Giottos MM9180 monopod. It supports my camera with a lot of capacity to spare. I could probably mount a .50 caliber machine gun on it and it would support it without a quiver. As pilotdane mentioned, it doubles as a great walking stick or staff and in a pinch, would deliver a pretty hefty whack to anything needing whacking. ;)

Dave

The GM5561 is not a pixie thin little monopod. It's more in the "beast" category with a rated camera weight capacity of 55 pounds. As with any mono or tripod stronger is generally better as far as damping vibration and reducing unwanted movement. The downside is it's price and weight. I find the extra weight helpful though, especially when shooting with a long telephoto. Even if the monopod is not extended it makes a good handle and the weight hanging below the camera & lens has a good stabilizing effect when hand holding shots. The sturdiness and weight also came in handy when I had someone attempt to mug me in Amsterdam last fall.

Carbon is quite nice if you can afford it. When shooting in the winter it does not feel cold and your bare hands don't want to freeze to it like aluminum. Carbon fiber dampens vibration faster than aluminum so when bumped it's almost dead with very little residual vibration. Carbon is also quiet if you are into animal photography. If you accidentally bump carbon, even with something metal you don't get the "tink" or "clank" sound of metal on metal. Carbon is also lighter and stiffer than aluminum. But, I have to get back to it's major drawback, price. Especially with a brand name like Gitzo. I I love it and I've never regretted buying it but I'd swear there is a layer of gold in there somewhere or a diamond in the handle to warrant it's cost.

i have Gitzo travel tripod and a monopod. The Mono with a manfrotto ball head is less than two pounds and is 14 inches long. As much as I love the heavier beasts when you are walking or hiking that two pounds of weight is a godsend. Plus it usually fits inside a shopping bag or messenger bag since many places won't let you in with a tripod or monopod.

I use an inexpensive Manfrotto 234 head on top of a Gitzo GM5561 monopod. The monopod is overkill in many respects but it's extra sturdiness makes it a very useful walking stick.

Same head, but on a Dolica WT-1003 monopod. The monopod is fairly cheap, but it works well enough, and it's main attribute is it's lightweight.

I have a nice heavy-duty Benro monopod at home, but I want to keep things lightweight on a cruise, so I take the Dolica. And while I've not been denied taking the monopod on board, I suppose the one time I am denied taking it on board as someone thinks it's a billy-club I can just pitch it in the trash can as it only cost $14 or so.

I'm thinking of getting a monopod since we have a few hours to kill in Singapore enroute to our cruise. I have a Canon 450D (will eventually upgrade to 60D) and Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L USM and I am mostly into bird photography. My trips tend to include long hikes in the rainforest both on planned shore excursions and land based trips so it needs to be small and easily packable. I also heard of some sort of harness that allows you to wear it with the monopod inserted into some kind of pouch. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of getting a monopod since we have a few hours to kill in Singapore enroute to our cruise. I have a Canon 450D (will eventually upgrade to 60D) and Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L USM and I am mostly into bird photography. My trips tend to include long hikes in the rainforest both on planned shore excursions and land based trips so it needs to be small and easily packable. I also heard of some sort of harness that allows you to wear it with the monopod inserted into some kind of pouch. Any ideas?

Manfrotto makes a pouch that is worn on your belt that you stick the bottom of the monopod in to provide support without fully extending it to reach the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-080-Monopod-Belt-Pouch/dp/B001A1Q0CU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303035751&sr=8-2

Handy in close quarters or while leaping over vines in a rainforest. :)

Dave

If you're looking for a reco on the monopod itself, I'm very happy with my Feisol CM-1401. It has the right balance for me of length (open and closed), weight, quality, and cost. I strap it to my camera bag and don't even know it's there.

You might not recognize the Feisol name. They're fairly new but have been receiving a lot of positive reviews on photography forums. The general consensus seems to be that they're just a little below Gitzo in quality/performance but a lot below them in price. I got mine from reallybigcameras.com. Kerry there is great to work with (I have no affiliation with them).

I have decided to take along a Canon 100 - 400mm to Alaska in July. I began to wonder about a monopod (which seems like a good idea) and then I read on another forum about the advantages of using a titl head with the monopod. I then visited the Really Right Stuff site - and yes, they do have some really nice stuff - and one probably would not need to go that overboard ($$) - then again, I would not want the lens to take a tumble either. We have a bear watching excursion to Anan Creek, and I thought that I could brace the monopod against a railing and then use the tilt head to get the angle I want. Whaddyathink?

Several years ago I bought a combination walking stick/monopod from Sportsman's Guild. It is light and strong and can be used as a short cane,, longer walking stick and or monopod because of its 1/4 x 20 screw on the top. In its cane/walking stick format, one uses the round wooden ball that comes with the unit. As a monopod, I unscrew the ball and attach my Manfrotto 3232 tilt head. A couple years ago, I used this combination with a Sigma 50-500 on my Minolta 7D. It worked very well. This year it will be used with a 70-300 Sony G on my A-700.

Archived