Labadee, Haiti...unsure

lakerniner

We are looking forward to being on Labadee in May after many years away. Did you know there is a school for 200 students up in the mountains that was built and sponsored by Royal Caribbean? I would love to visit, but I don't know if it is allowed. Many passengers bring school supplies for the students.

Suite guest get first crack at the cabanas. The concierge is the person to see.

About $150 to $175 for 6 for the day. But the amenities, are for 6. Includes snorkling equiptment, a HIGH class lunch, water and Ice, floating mats, and a private beach.

How did you reserve the beach cabana?

Since we were a family of 6 adults and all only C&A diamonds in JS's I e-mailed the DL concierge about a month before our cruise and asked to be put on a waitlist...Our concierge responded back right away and said that she had taken care of it for us but we wouldn't probably know until the night before arriving at Labadee..Sure enough the (suite) Concierge notified us that night that he had one available and had taken care of everything..We were evidently the first on the waitlist and got the only one available...Lucky Us !!!:D

For those with questions on the zip line, you do not land on the beach or in the water. You actually start off roughly 500 feet up on a tower that they built on a hill, and zip accross to the other side of the bay. You get so close to the water that waves were actually hitting my feet, and we got up to around 50 mph. On the other side of the bay there is a wood platform which you zip over top of, and there is a system of springs on the cable that slow you down over the platform. Once you stop your basically hanging in your harnace above the platform and there are guys there that help you get down. Its a lot of fun, cant wait to get back to Labadee to do it again.

Mike

If I had to choose between Labadee and Coco Cay, I would pick Labadee, it really is beautiful there. Below is a pic I took from the top of the zip line platform, you get a pretty good view of the area from up there.

Beautiful picture! Here are some of the pics I took while I was last there...

48588070.jpg

7c52a26f.jpg

159bc449.jpg

You cannot leave the Labadee beach area....so no excursions into any other part of Haiti.

Actually, I don't believe that this is totally accurate and have read of one excursion that takes guests to a local village in the nearby vicinity. Check out the list of excursions that are offered in Labadee.

You cannot leave the Labadee beach area....so no excursions into any other part of Haiti.

Since RCI is working with the Haitian government on adding an excursion to the Citadel..This will be something we can look forward to hopefully in the not too distant future...;):)

Since RCI is working with the Haitian government on adding an excursion to the Citadel..This will be something we can look forward to hopefully in the not too distant future...;):)

I've seen some of the information regarding this proposed excursion and it certainly looks intriguing. Not sure when or if they will finalize their plans but it certainly would be a different excursion. Check out Adam Goldstein's blogs for information about the Citadel plans.:)

Actually, I don't believe that this is totally accurate and have read of one excursion that takes guests to a local village in the nearby vicinity. Check out the list of excursions that are offered in Labadee.

You're referring to the "Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove & Beach" this includes a walk through "Le Village" a simulated village where locals (employed by RCI) demonstrate crafts, food prep etc. Still not comparable to seeing anywhere near the real view of Haiti..The tour is approx 3 hrs and costs $65.pp..We were just in Labadee March 25th and weren't interested in this excursion at all..

Labadee is beautiful. It's the nicest of all of the "private islands" that we have been to on any cruise line. Unlike some private stops, there is tons of room and has plenty to do for all ages. Take your sea pass card, a few dollars and make a day of it. I understand that there is a pier there now, so no more tendering. :)

You're referring to the "Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove & Beach" this includes a walk through "Le Village" a simulated village where locals (employed by RCI) demonstrate crafts, food prep etc.

Still not comparable to seeing anywhere near the real view of Haiti..The tour is approx 3 hrs and costs $65.pp..We were just in Labadee March 25th and weren't interested in this excursion at all..

With all due respect, I would recommend it (note that the owner's son told us upfront that "Le village" is staged as the RCI rules didn't allow it otherwise. We had a good time and were happy that the locals got paid - we heard around $10.00 USD/day); it also gives you enough time after the tour to explore the private island of Labadee (or before your tour if you're taking the afternoon excursion).

For a pre-view of what someone can expect from this type of excursion, feel free to browse the pictures from our recent Holiday cruise that included Labadee, Haiti as the first port of call (the "Haitian Cultural tour" is seen on the first half of the album):

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2095

Enjoy!

With all due respect, I would recommend it (note that the owner's son told us upfront that "Le village" is staged as the RCI rules didn't allow it otherwise. We had a good time and were happy that the locals got paid - we heard around $10.00 USD/day); it also gives you enough time after the tour to explore the private island of Labadee (or before your tour if you're taking the afternoon excursion).

For a pre-view of what someone can expect from this type of excursion, feel free to browse the pictures from our recent Holiday cruise that included Labadee, Haiti as the first port of call (the "Haitian Cultural tour" is seen on the first half of the album):

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/2095

Enjoy!

That's the nice thing about Labadee you can do as much or as little as you want and still have a good time...Don't assume by my post that I was advising to 'not" do this excursion if it has some interest for "you"..But it didn't sound interesting to "us" as we had a private cabana on Barefoot Beach (and wanted to use that as much as possible) :cool:, and opted for the zipline and the Arawaky Snorkel Adventure, so to take 3 hrs of our limited time to do this excursion was not on our playlist..Glad you enjoyed this option..:)

We are on Freedom of the Seas In November, and might be inerested in renting a cabana, how would we go about geting he email address for the consierge?

Thanks So Much:D

Where did that anger come from? :confused:

Anger? I'm assuming you are not talking about my calling Labadee a beautiful place, or assuring the OP to have no worries about the place, or saying I'd gladly tip someone if I accept their offer to carry a lounge chair for me?

As to whether I would be angry to have to wrestle a chair away from someone when I respectfully decline their offer to carry it for me .. probably not a lot. Just annoyed. I'd get another chair and hope that eventually they get the idea that they are offering a service I don't care to use. Somewhat like if an aggressive vendor in Jamaica grabs you and starts braiding your hair when you are saying no thanks. What's the difference?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
how is the snorkeling ? we have our own equipment

Yeah... not so many fish. Fished out. Don't bother here.

Jt ski or take a snorkel excursion out of Labadee. It might be a "free" private island, but it doesn't have much. Not even the "water park" is free.

• 8 months later...

Archived