Phone in case we get separated from our 4 year old on land?

3guysandagal

My husband, 4 year old son, and I are traveling with our entire family on RCI's Liberty of the Seas' Western Mediterranean cruise. I have read a lot of tips/ideas on the boards about staying together and what to do if separated both on and off the ship.

I am not the panicky type but want to think through how to proceed when we are off of the ship. Our son knows to hold our hand, stay put if separated, look for someone in a uniform or a mommy with a baby/child to help him if we get separated. However, I'm wondering if it makes sense to get a cell phone that we could have on the trip in case of an emergency (e.g., if we get separated and someone finds our child and needs to get in touch with us). We then could have the phone number on an ID bracelet / write the phone number with a Sharpie on his arm.

If we do have a phone, do you have any recommendations? This is out of my realm of expertise. Receiving calls would be more important to us than making calls. I have seen that National Geographic has a Talk Abroad Travel Phone or SIM card that can be used anywhere and has 2 assigned numbers - a US number for incoming calls and a UK number for incoming/outgoing. Before I begin researching I thought I'd go to the experts on Cruise Critic! Many thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Do you routinely lose your child? I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Bring your regular cell phone, and should an emergency occur, you'll gladly pay whatever price is charged.

In a strange place, you will really be "on guard" and you will not be seperated from your child, I'm sure!

I'm with CB on this - I can't even begin to imagine losing track of your 4 year old. If you are that worried - put one of those child leashes on him. I'm of the better safe than sorry crowd but I don't think you will lose him. Put your regular # on his wristband and carry your phone and turn it on if you lose him and pay whatever price you would have to pay in that instance. Make sure you have worldwide coverage or whatever your carrier calls it for that circumstance.

I agree. Highly doubtful you will lose your child. I have quite a few myself, and God knows I've actually tried at times to lose them, but never been successful.

I think you are feeling some anxiety and it's coming out over this issue. Most regular cell phones have calling plans that will work in different countries; there's no need to purchase another phone. Call your carrier and discuss this with them. Then, just make sure your child knows or has the phone number with him, stop worrying and enjoy your trip.

If you do carry your regular phone, do not turn it on unless you absolutely have to. You could be charged huge rates when backed up texts, etc. are delivered. I rented a global phone from my carrier (Verizon) for a very reasonable rate. I didn't end up using it at all, but wanted to have it just in case I had a problem in port with my kids.

Best,

Mia

I just made sure my kids knew to tell someone (in uniform or a mom, just like you said) that they were on a cruise and to tell them the name of the ship we were on- figuring that whoever they approached would get them back to the ship/port somehow. In a touristy city, most people will know enough English that that small bit off communication shouldn't be a problem.

It is a good idea to have an id bracelet. They provide them at the youth program. This way if you are off the ship- they will know that he is a cruise passenger and you could also write your cell phone number on it with a sharpie.

I made my 4 year old ride in a stroller if we were in a crowd- like at Disney but on the islands he isn't going to get lost in a crowd I doubt. If you are in a shop- then I'd have him in the stroller to prevent him from pulling things off the shelves.

I guess what I am getting at is if he is the type that wanders off- then its stroller city for him. No sense in worrying needlessly.

If your son is like mine he will never want to get off the ship- problem solved!

My husband, 4 year old son, and I are traveling with our entire family on RCI's Liberty of the Seas' Western Mediterranean cruise. I have read a lot of tips/ideas on the boards about staying together and what to do if separated both on and off the ship.

I am not the panicky type but want to think through how to proceed when we are off of the ship. Our son knows to hold our hand, stay put if separated, look for someone in a uniform or a mommy with a baby/child to help him if we get separated. However, I'm wondering if it makes sense to get a cell phone that we could have on the trip in case of an emergency (e.g., if we get separated and someone finds our child and needs to get in touch with us). We then could have the phone number on an ID bracelet / write the phone number with a Sharpie on his arm.

If we do have a phone, do you have any recommendations? This is out of my realm of expertise. Receiving calls would be more important to us than making calls. I have seen that National Geographic has a Talk Abroad Travel Phone or SIM card that can be used anywhere and has 2 assigned numbers - a US number for incoming calls and a UK number for incoming/outgoing. Before I begin researching I thought I'd go to the experts on Cruise Critic! Many thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

why dont you buy a child alarm . you hook it to thier clothes and if they get so many feet away it alarms on the part you keep. here are some examples. http://www.mypreciouskid.com/child-locator.html

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/child-locator-alarm.html

Advice one, don't depend on fancy devices. If you feel the need for some device, a leash as another suggested.

I guess one rule of thumb be clear who is in charge of the kid. The more in the party the easier it is assume someone else is doing something. Thinking "Home Alone."

If you do carry your regular phone, do not turn it on unless you absolutely have to. You could be charged huge rates when backed up texts, etc. are delivered.

To prevent this, I just leave my phone on in Airplane Mode when traveling internationally so I can't receive texts or phone calls when traveling. That way I can still use free wifi when available to check my email or use the internet, but don't have to pay any extra fees.

Archived