No Egypt for Oceania April 23

johnhunter0

Just found out tonite . . . 17 days before sailing. I would have understood 3, 6, 8 weeks ago . . . not now. Do you think it's because the % refund is about to disappear? From everything that I've read the past few weeks in major papers and travel journals, things have settled down -- and tourists are actually going to Cairo square where the revolution started (!) The people and the economy are begging for tourists to return. Travelers are reporting great experiences.

Let's face it: It is never going to be "safe" over there again, if it ever was in the first place. LOUSY TIMING, OCEANIA ! Particularly since your message back in early February was so cautiously optimistic. I'll give you credit for the well-drilled agent that I talked with tonite (about as much personality as a mummy).

Questions: I don't suppose there is any recourse, even with travel insurance ? Yeah . . . who is going to insure the Middle East !

If anyone has any guidance here on any way to get more than 25% refund . . . . but it seems like just bad luck. Thoughts ?

Sorry about the bad news.

Did you check with your insurance company? Or should I ask if you purchased trip cancellation insurance? Just a starting point, mind you.

I am sure you will be advised to contact your Travel Agent ASAP. S/he may be most helpful of anyone.....

Unless you you have Cancel for any reason insurance you are subject to the cancellation penalties

You will still get a cruise just not the ports you signed up for

Go & enjoy

I am sorry but haven't you been keeping up with the news. All the unrest in northern Africa? Many cruise lines cancelled Egyptian ports after the unrest started. Do you really want to be touring when riots occur or transportation is disrupted. We did an over night in Cairo last year - and I would not want to take the long bus/van ride back to Alexandria if there was any chance of political unrest.

Just found out tonite . . . 17 days before sailing. I would have understood 3, 6, 8 weeks ago . . . not now. Do you think it's because the % refund is about to disappear? From everything that I've read the past few weeks in major papers and travel journals, things have settled down -- and tourists are actually going to Cairo square where the revolution started (!) The people and the economy are begging for tourists to return. Travelers are reporting great experiences.

Let's face it: It is never going to be "safe" over there again, if it ever was in the first place. LOUSY TIMING, OCEANIA ! Particularly since your message back in early February was so cautiously optimistic. I'll give you credit for the well-drilled agent that I talked with tonite (about as much personality as a mummy).

Questions: I don't suppose there is any recourse, even with travel insurance ? Yeah . . . who is going to insure the Middle East !

If anyone has any guidance here on any way to get more than 25% refund . . . . but it seems like just bad luck. Thoughts ?

We are on that cruise also. Quite frankly it is a vacation for us and I am glad that I don't have to choose between the desire to see the pyramids and concern for safety. While we are very diappointed (at the situation not Oceania) God willing we will see Egypt another time. :(

Several of us have been discussing this possibility on the roll call. It should not have come as a surprise to anyone following the news and why would you not have trip insurance knowing that you were sailing to that part of the world? Why would you ask for $ back? No port is ever guaranteed.

I'm glad that I'm sailing with a cruise line that does not take unnecessary risks in order not to disappoint me. I'm a big girl and hope to live to visit the pyramids some other time, meanwhile I'm looking forward to being with my loved one in other beautiful places. We're talking vacation here---not hospice. c

We always buy our air ourselves. Given the instability and natural disasters around the globe in some areas, we will have to select future trips carefully. If itineraries change, the tickets may not be exchanged if the air carrier does not serve the new destinations.

Hi, We're sailing on April 20th -- Dubai to Athens -- originally stopping in Luxor, Sharm el Sheikh, Port Said and Alexandria. We were given an alternate itinerary. As of this writing, Port Said and Alexandria are out but Sharm and Luxor are still in...and this is from the State Dept..."the resort areas are calm, however stay away from crowds and demonstrations in Cairo and Alexandria." Oceania takes the concerns of its passengers and crew very seriously and we all have to go with what is best for our safety. Egypt has been there for 5000 years and it will be there well into the future. You cannot cancel a cruise and get money back just because you are not going to the places you expected to go. Every cruise line and tour company have that in their contract with us. Just enjoy the wonderful ports you will be in. Arlene

I agree with the OP that the itinerary change and could have and should have been made earlier. Until the elections take place I feel that passing up Egypt will be the generally accepted practice in the cruise industry and that Oceania should have known this and given the passengers the choice to change their plans.

If you go read Africa/Middle East Ports on CC there is a thread in which Israeli CC members answer questions. The most recent are deep concerns over what could affect Israel. That is the next area to watch for the April 23 cruise (and others): 3 more port days could be at risk...sigh.....

Oceania was just keeping their options open in case things calmed down. Had Oceania canceled their ports 2 months ago and things had gotten better I am sure the OP would be complaining as to why Oceania canceled and did not wait longer.

Things have not quieted down. There are Friday demonstrations scheduled for tomorrow in Cairo and other cities.

I certainly can understand the cancellation of Egypt and Syria. Note, Syria was not mentioned in the correspondence but just went away. However I am not pleased with the substitute ports and the loss of the at sea day that we enjoy. I also believe we lose a half day in Haifa.

O has also cancelled Egypt and Syria for the 6/13 Nautica cruise. It seems to have turned into a Greek Island cruise. Very disappointing for me.

We just received word from O (via our agent) that they have cancelled Port Said and Alexandria from the 11/2/11-Sands of Time sailing also. Egypt and Israel were the main focus of the itinerary for us and, since we have been to so many of the other ports recently (including the Greek Isles just last year), we have decided to cancel and re-book on a different itinerary. Very sad but we will try again another time. Better to be safe than sorry.

Billie

Back when the April 20 Dubai to Athens cruise was first announced, in the 2010-11 Winter Collection brochure, Alexandria was not a port of call and there were three days in ports in Israel. Then, due to a holiday conflict in Israel, one port day in Haifa was dropped and Alexandria was added. Now we have pretty much gone back to the original itinerary by adding back a day in Israel (Ashdod) and dropping Alexandria. The only difference is we are exchanging the stop in Port Said for Kusadasi. I don't know that I would consider that a deal-breaker or a major change.

I agree with others who say that safety comes first. Oceania was assessing the situation and for a time there, they were really between a rock and a hard place (with all the Middle East uprisings and then the bombing in Jerusalem). When traveling around the world these days, there are so many factors which can impact one's travels---from political uprisings to earthquakes and tsunamis...

Those of you on the Insignia cruise leaving April 23, go check your itinerary. This morning's posting shows that one of the 2 days in Jerusalem has been subtracted and added to Haifa. If you've scheduled private tours this changes everything; I've also posted this info on the Roll Call.

Archived