Californian Coastal

C at Sea

Hi, Want a bit of advice about this cruise. It is not for next year as we already have 2 cruises booked with P&O for 2012. But I noticed this little cruise advertised for May 2013!

Last year we went to USA for 1st time. Flew to New York and cruised the Eastern Seaboard up to Quebec. We absolutely loved it and wanted to see a different part of America next time.

We would fly to LA and stay a couple of nights before boarding the ship. Ports are San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, somewhere in Mexico beginning with En!

Has anyone been on this cruise or similar? What would the weather be like in this region in May? Any more info would be great, thanks!

Never been on it but I live in San Diego and May is beautiful! We usually always have great weather (except today, very windy and cloudy!) so it's very unlikely that you'll experience a bad weather day here. Probably be mid 70s, zero humidity.

We did it in May '09 (a replacement due to H1N1 flu) & enjoyed it a lot. Weather at sea is cool but it was still fun. We enjoyed it so much that next month we sail from LA to Vancouver on their Coastal Wine Country cruise & also LA roundtrip next April. In '13 they add Catalina (just off the coast from LA) & an overnight in SF (1300 until 1300 the next day). We prefer the '12 itinerary with 2 sea days & SF from 0700 until 2200 which will allow us time to take a Sonoma wine tour. So there are options & they're particularly nice for those of us who can drive to the Port of LA. :D

Hi C at Sea. We have not done that cruise but have visited the ports as part of a land tour and really enjoyed them. If you get chance I would suggest that you extend your holiday to take in a bit more of California..Yosemite is magic and a few days in Las Vegas is an experience not to miss. It is very OTT but such an exciting place and you would get the oportunity to see the Grand Canyon.

PS I live in Stoke. What part of our lovely county are you from?

Ports are San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, somewhere in Mexico beginning with En!

Has anyone been on this cruise or similar? What would the weather be like in this region in May? Any more info would be great, thanks!

The Mexican port you couldn't remember but that it starts with En is Ensenada. That would be a lovely tour for someone who is unfamilier with the "Left Coast".

I'm taking a cruise next October (2012) that goes from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not familier with the East Coast, having never been on that side of our country.

I'll be on the West Coast in Sept '11. I also LIVE on the West coast in fact within 300mi of ALL the ports. I'll be taking the cruise for the love of crusing as well as the Calif coast line. The weather in May is beautiful. Mornings have what is called: June glum. :rolleyes: It simply means the sky is a bit glazed till the sun burns it off. I actually love it.

All depending on the time you have, the port isn't too far from many famous spots. Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon are ok, but a long trip from the ports. Las Vegas about 5 or 6 hours drive, The Canyon even longer.

I know you'll love it too. :D

I'll be on the West Coast in Sept '11. I also LIVE on the West coast in fact within 300mi of ALL the ports. I'll be taking the cruise for the love of crusing as well as the Calif coast line. The weather in May is beautiful. Mornings have what is called: June glum. :rolleyes: It simply means the sky is a bit glazed till the sun burns it off. I actually love it.

All depending on the time you have, the port isn't too far from many famous spots. Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon are ok, but a long trip from the ports. Las Vegas about 5 or 6 hours drive, The Canyon even longer.

I know you'll love it too. :D

Yes, June gloom... the weathercasters here call it Nature's air-conditioning. Keeps the temps down along the coast... can also generate some spectacular fog off the coast and along the shoreline.

I understand the thread question was about the weather in May for the coastal cruise but I am leaning towards the Sapphire in Oct of 20012.... So would the weather be better in May or October.... not that we have any control over the weather...

I live in So Cal and I would not do this cruise in May, I would go in September. As others have mentioned June Gloom is just what it sounds like Gloomy! Its night and morning low cloud cover that hugs the coast and out to sea. It does keep the temps down but it can be bit depressing.

August is great but a bit warm. After Labor Day the kids are back in school.

If you decide to vist the beach in LA in May I don't think you'd want to go swimming, as the ocean temps tend to be cool in May (around 60 degrees F.) In September the water temps warm up to the high 60s low 70s. Sometimes that is as the water temp around here is as unpredictable as the weather in Alaska!

If do come out to LA let me know and I can give you some tips on what to visit, I know a couple of nice places away from the tourist traps.

I live in So Cal and I would not do this cruise in May, I would go in September. As others have mentioned June Gloom is just what it sounds like Gloomy! Its night and morning low cloud cover that hugs the coast and out to sea. It does keep the temps down but it can be bit depressing.

August is great but a bit warm. After Labor Day the kids are back in school.

If you decide to vist the beach in LA in May I don't think you'd want to go swimming, as the ocean temps tend to be cool in May (around 60 degrees F.) In September the water temps warm up to the high 60s low 70s. Sometimes that is as the water temp around here is as unpredictable as the weather in Alaska!

If do come out to LA let me know and I can give you some tips on what to visit, I know a couple of nice places away from the tourist traps.

I agree. I think we get some of our best weather in September. May and June can be quite foggy near the coast. Some days are clear and warm during the spring, but you just don't know when those will be. I September, in southern California, we get east winds off the desert that tend to flatten the seas and the coast gets very warm.

San Francisco, Santa Barbara and San Diego are some of the best coastal cities that California has to offer. I might have to sign up for this one myself. ;)

I understand the thread question was about the weather in May for the coastal cruise but I am leaning towards the Sapphire in Oct of 20012.... So would the weather be better in May or October.... not that we have any control over the weather...

They now say there's May Gray along with June Gloom! ;)

In May 2009, we were delayed by a couple hours tendering into Santa Barbara but eventually got into town. Generally October will have better weather & having lived in LA nearly all of my life (including growing up a couple of miles from the LA South Bay beaches)...many days in May & June it's the same daily forecast...late night & early morning low clouds & fog, clearing to partial sunshine in afternoon...this is a recording. :eek:

So if I had a choice...I'd sail October vs. May/June anywhere along the west coast...but it hasn't stopped us from sailing in May 2009 with another cruise next month & one next year :D

I agree. I think we get some of our best weather in September. May and June can be quite foggy near the coast. Some days are clear and warm during the spring, but you just don't know when those will be. I September, in southern California, we get east winds off the desert that tend to flatten the seas and the coast gets very warm.

San Francisco, Santa Barbara and San Diego are some of the best coastal cities that California has to offer. I might have to sign up for this one myself. ;)

I should also mention that warm weather in California is not bad as our humidity is very low (we are in a desert), so a 90 degree day here will be much more comfortable then a 90 degree day in Florida or the Caribbean.

Well, part of the excitement of living in the bay area is we never know what the weather will be like. It can be in the 80's in February but here we are in April and it is freezing cold outside.

We sailed up to Alaska out of San Francisco in May one year (we usually go in Sept and the weather is much more predictable in the fall). Some friends from Florida came out to meet up and sail with us and I warned her to dress warm as San Francisco can be bitter cold in the spring / summer. Ha....well, she showed me. It was a record heat wave -- 93 degrees in the city ...which is unheard of for May. Just keep your eye on the weather reports while you are packing and go from there. You really won't be able to guess what it will be like. I mean, I was over in the city on the weekend and took a jacket along for the ride. Today, I needed a down parka....I mean, it is windy and bitter cold outside. So, from 80 degrees to the 40's with a stiff wind in two days flat. There is no planning of a wardrobe ahead of time here.

But, no matter what the weather is like....there is nothing so special as sailing under the Golden Gate. Just layer and be sure to have those layers on when sailing out of the bay into the open ocean. The fog rolls in and it is chilly....but still very special.

Hi, Want a bit of advice about this cruise. It is not for next year as we already have 2 cruises booked with P&O for 2012. But I noticed this little cruise advertised for May 2013!

Last year we went to USA for 1st time. Flew to New York and cruised the Eastern Seaboard up to Quebec. We absolutely loved it and wanted to see a different part of America next time.

We would fly to LA and stay a couple of nights before boarding the ship. Ports are San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, somewhere in Mexico beginning with En!

We have taken a twelve day (Southbound) west coast cruise and will be taking a ten day cruise (Northbound) on May 3. It's a great itinerary!! Ports include San Diego, Catalina Island, San Francisco (2 full days), Astoria Oregon, Seattle Washington, Victoria BC. and Vancouver BC. Our previous cruise also included Nanaimo BC and Monterey California. The previous cruise was in late September and the weather was very nice. Light jackets at the most. We spent extra time in San Diego on the Southbound trip and will be there three days early in May. It's a great city, nice weather and lots to do and see.It certainly is one of our favorites!

Yes, May is really an iffy month. We can have nice sunny, mild weather or overcast, foggy weather along the coast. It's just very unpredictable. California weather doesn't really get sunny and warm until mid June and even then we can still get coastal overcast skies. July through Sept it's nice, warm summer beach weather and very hot inland. If you're going to do a Pacific coastal cruise I'd do late Sept or early October when we have wonderful mild and sunny fall like weather. Personally either April or October are the best months to visit Southern California...fewer crowds & great weather. Maybe just a light jacket or sweater in the evenings.

Here in LA, May could be "June Gloom" (I love that "May Gray") or even in the 100s (not at the coast, though). But most likely overcast in the morning.

Make sure you don't stay at an LAX hotel. Not a great area, and you would have to find transportation to get to any sights. Also, don't stay in downtown LA. My hubby has worked there for over 30 years now and he wouldn't recommend staying there.

Check out the threads about hotels on the Western Destinations part of CC for some good recs.

Thanks for all the advice!

I have only really looked at the May cruise, I didnt notice any October ones. Will have to have another look!

We normally use the hotel that Princess book us in as it includes transfers from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship. Think this year it is a LAX MARIOTT? But may be changing for 2013?

Soccerref - we are in sunny(well it is at the moment!) Stafford. Not a million miles from the notorious Stafford Hospital!!

Are you talking about the May 4th RT from LA ?

We booked that one because it offered the 2 days in SF.

LOL neither one of us has been to SF and we live in San Diego. :p

DH does not set one foot in a plane, and I hate road trips. We're pathetic. :D

Pat

Thanks for all the advice!

I have only really looked at the May cruise, I didnt notice any October ones. Will have to have another look!

We normally use the hotel that Princess book us in as it includes transfers from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship. Think this year it is a LAX MARIOTT? But may be changing for 2013?

Soccerref - we are in sunny(well it is at the moment!) Stafford. Not a million miles from the notorious Stafford Hospital!!

Personally, I wouldn't stay by the airport unless I have an early morning flight the next day (we stayed at the LAX Marriott the night before our flight to Honolulu for our honeymoon). It's not a nice area so you would have to get a taxi to go out for meals or sightseeing, so I certainly wouldn't recommend it for spending a couple of days pre-cruise. You should check out the hotel threads on the Western Destinations board here to get some better choices. You would have to get a shuttle or taxi to get to a hotel, but if you stay in San Pedro, you can take advantage of free shuttles to get to the port.

I have done these California Coastals about 50 or 60 times in my career at sea.

Although the weather is variable, about 75% of the time you can expect cold, fog, rain, wind, and choppy seas. The other 25% can range from pleasant to just glorious.

Many people expect to see the California coast during this cruise. It rarely happens - except when entering or exiting a port.

Everyone takes a bathing suit - few have the opportunity to actually use it.

Demographics on these itineraries are quite unique. Do not expect to see too many dinner jackets or evening gowns. This is generally the denim and t-shirt crowd.

I have lived in Santa Barbara for the past two decades. May is usually lovely. This weekend the weather is gorgeous. June Gloom usually is in June, although it can start in late May some years. Your cruise is the first week of May so it should be wonderful weather. October is also beautiful. Many locals consider the autumn the best time of year here. Skies are clear and the temperature is perfect. We very rarely get coastal fog in October.

I am currently booked on that coastal cruise for October this year, but we considered going in May. October just worked out schedule wise. It is so convenient for us and the ports of call are the best in California in my opinion. Whichever month you go, you will love it.

Archived