Adventure Ocean - Brilliance of the Seas - night time group babysitting?

BWP

Hi, I'm a little unclear what the set up is for group babysitting on the BoS @ night time? The website seems vague. Can anyone shed some light?

I know that in-stateroom babysitting is offered @ $19/hour for up to three children (ouch!) Question: what do they charge for only one child, or is it the same flat rate of $19/hour?

And then I've been advised that there is a group babysitting option in Adventure Ocean @ $5/hour per child.... but I need a bit more information: are the children entertained, or are they settled down to sleep? what are the operating times for this night time group babysitting?

I will be cruising on the BoS in July with THREE young children, so really need to get a better understanding of all the night time babysitting options available, and the costs and times, etc. My DH and I are hoping to do MRD @ 9pm sitting, so need to make a plan to settle the children, whether it be in-stateroom or Adventure Ocean...

Any help/feedback from your own previous experiences on the BoS would be greatly appreciated!

That's what I thought initially too! But I emailed Royal Caribbean directly to enquire about babysitting options, and I got a reply outlining some info re the group babysitting in Adventure Ocean. I did indicate that we were cruising on the BoS... but I wonder if that fact has perhaps been overlooked? The info provided was really brief, so I have replied requesting more info, but they usually take at least 48hrs to respond, so thought I'd try the boards here in the interim :)

That's what I thought initially too! But I emailed Royal Caribbean directly to enquire about babysitting options, and I got a reply outlining some info re the group babysitting in Adventure Ocean. I did indicate that we were cruising on the BoS... but I wonder if that fact has perhaps been overlooked? The info provided was really brief, so I have replied requesting more info, but they usually take at least 48hrs to respond, so thought I'd try the boards here in the interim :)

How old are your children? If they are eligible for Adventure Ocean (at least 3 and completely potty trained - no pull-ups, able to go by themselves with no prompting and no help at all), then they can go to the late night zone (charge begins after 10 p.m., otherwise free). If younger than that, you will have to do in-room sitting which is on an as available basis and (IMO) costly.

Thanks for the feedback, Geri. My youngest will be 18mnths old and will need in-stateroom babysitting... but I've also got 6 & 7 yr old boys, and I'm concerned about how I'm going to get them all to go to sleep in ONE room for the babysitters?? So I'm very pleased to hear that the older two can go to Adventure Ocean until 10pm at no cost! Personally I would prefer to have them in bed and asleep by about 8pm, but it might work out more practical to let them stay out a bit later, leaving the stateroom quiet for the toddler to settle down for the night... and then we can bring the boys back to the room @10pm.

So busy trying to figure out the logistics for our night time routine on the cruise with the kids, that I've barely had time to research ports or worry about what to pack, LOL! :p

BWP - yes, your oldest two will be at Adventure Ocean, having a ball, no worries. :D Its not "babysitting" per se. Think of it as one big Summer Camp. ;) It will be free until after 10pm. And the kids won't know when that "babysitting" begins because its seamless. They call it the "Late Night Party Zone"

The schedules are at the link in my signature. The kids will have their own dance parties, karaoke, Wii, parades -- basically they won't remember that you are onboard because they will be having too much fun.

Your youngest will have to be signed up for the in cabin sitting. That will be done as soon as you board at the pursers desk, grab as many days/times as you can because they book up fast.

Thanks for the feedback, Michelle. Just had a quick look at the various AO compasses posted on your link - and it all looks fab! I'm sure they're going to love it there. Just hope they won't be too wiped out from all the entertainment and late nights. We need them bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings - our day time intinerary is pretty port intensive, with plenty of walking and sightseeing required.... in substantial heat! Lol, it's going to be an interesting adventure, that's for sure ;)

Just hope they won't be too wiped out from all the entertainment and late nights. We need them bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings - our day time intinerary is pretty port intensive, with plenty of walking and sightseeing required.... in substantial heat! Lol, it's going to be an interesting adventure, that's for sure ;)

Well, then that part is in your hands. The way I keep my kids "bright eyed" is keeping the same sleeping schedule. ;) My kids are in the habit of an 8pm bedtime at home, so I push that to a 10pm pick up time at Adventure Ocean -- and aim for a 10:30 bedtime on the ship (with a quick snack stop on the way back to the cabin)

We always choose main seating (6pm) so the kids don't miss any Adventure Ocean activities. It seems that many of the AO events happen during the 2nd seating times.

What time are you feeding the kids? :)

What time are you feeding the kids? :)

We plan to feed the kids in the Windjammer @ about 6pm, and then either settle all three of them down for the night with in-stateroom babysitting, or take the two older boys to AO until 10pm.

At home, bedtime for the kids is usually 7pm during the week, and about 8/8.30pm on weekends. There have been a few special occasions where we've let them stay up until about 10pm, and we've always been amazed at how well they handle those late nights - despite still waking up at the crack of dawn :rolleyes: They're never grumpy or out of sorts the next morning.... but it's one thing doing that occasionally, and quite another doing it for 12 nights - when we're in a different port nearly every day, with lots of sightseeing and walking to be done.

Personally, I think I would prefer to settle all of them down after supper with in-stateroom babysitting, so that their routine is less disrupted, and they get more sleep... but I need to be prepared for the fact that (a) I might not be able to get in-stateroom babysitting every night; and (b) I might have problems settling my toddler (18mnths), when her two older brothers (6&7yrs - and not the quietest of boys :p) are in the same room as she is.... Which is why I was asking about the AO setup in the evenings, just so that I have backup options.

My DH & I are booked into MDR, 9pm sitting. We're travelling with a larger group of family, celebrating my parents 40th wedding anniversary... so we really would like to be able to join them in the festivities.... hence all the over-the-top planning to get the night shift sorted out :)

Thanks for all the feedback and advice - I appreciate it!

Archived