Deck Question

There was a post on here that was poking fun at a room that was 1048 actually Deck 10 on Majesty OTS. The poster tongue in cheek indicated he was on Deck 1. But I was curious about Decks below Deck 2. Recently on the Radiance a bartender mentioned his quarters on Deck 1. Not hard to figure out that was where the crew was. But he went on to mention that there is a Deck 0 and another deck below that. He got busy with customers so i couldn't follow up. Can anyone shed light on this?

Crew cabins, crew dining and rec areas are below the lowest passenger cabins,then under that comes the ship's storage and mechanicals! Since only ship employees may access that area, I guess it really doesn't matter!

Yes there is deck 1, deck 0 and then it goes to the "-" decks.

Deck one usually is still above water line and has portholes for crew cabins, but yes there are crew cabins on decks below and under the water line. Also a lot of behind the scenes stuff down there.

I´ve done an ultimate ships tour on Princess once and we went all the way down to the lowest deck where the laundry is located.

Those crew cabins can be tiny and cramped and sometimes to get to them you have not a regular door in the hallways, but some (in lack of better words and terms) "holes" where you more or less have to climb through.

I'll let you know! My daughter boards the Adventure tomorrow as a members of the performance cast (dancer). She will be living in, as she calls it "steerage class" for 6 months! Support the performers, go see the shows, the talent is amazing.

I'll let you know! My daughter boards the Adventure tomorrow as a members of the performance cast (dancer). She will be living in, as she calls it "steerage class" for 6 months! Support the performers, go see the shows, the talent is amazing.

I agree that the talent on the ships is amazing. I am always in awe. I hope she enjoys the experience. We accidentally took a wrong turn when getting back on board from a port and saw some of deck 1. The biggest difference I saw was no carpet in the hall and generic green paint on the walls. We were qickly redirected back to the passenger areas. Having talked to many of the waiters and bartenders, I know that it is definately not glamorous and they certainly deserve the tips that are recommended and then some. We have met some wonderful people who work on the ships. Take the time to talk to them, some of their stories are amazing!

I used to work onboard another cruise line and I was 'lucky' enough to have a larger of crew cabins. NOTHING like what I was used to being a passenger. I had a really small desk that had shelf above it for storage, small closet(half of passenger cabin), bathroom with smaller shower than passengers have (yes, they get smaller) with the toilet & sink basically on top of one another. Beds....they were bunk beds that each had the own curtain to slide back & forth the block out light when cabin mate came & went.

Most of your bartenders, waiters, bus boys, deck cleaners, ect have a room with small closet, bunk beds, & sink. They have shared showers & toilets down the hall. So yes, their quarters are tight. But on the other hand when they purchase their drinks & sundries down below it is a heck of a lot cheaper than passenger pay, but they still have to pay!

Needless to say, when I get a cabin, I think about how I had to live for 6 months and usually dont sweat it anymore!

Yes there is deck 1, deck 0 and then it goes to the "-" decks.

Deck one usually is still above water line and has portholes for crew cabins, but yes there are crew cabins on decks below and under the water line. Also a lot of behind the scenes stuff down there.

I´ve done an ultimate ships tour on Princess once and we went all the way down to the lowest deck where the laundry is located.

Those crew cabins can be tiny and cramped and sometimes to get to them you have not a regular door in the hallways, but some (in lack of better words and terms) "holes" where you more or less have to climb through.

Hi -

Those "holes" are called hatches. When closed and dogged (locked), they are water tight - something that needs to be below the waterline.

g

I used to work onboard another cruise line and I was 'lucky' enough to have a larger of crew cabins. NOTHING like what I was used to being a passenger. I had a really small desk that had shelf above it for storage, small closet(half of passenger cabin), bathroom with smaller shower than passengers have (yes, they get smaller) with the toilet & sink basically on top of one another. Beds....they were bunk beds that each had the own curtain to slide back & forth the block out light when cabin mate came in.

That is what my son's cabin looks like and yes that is the nicer cabin.

Archived