One thing I learned from my first cruise - camera gear needs.

On my first cruise I took way too much gear, I took a whole jump bag with all the gear I have set up for me when I need to leave fast. Next cruise I am going to take one DSLR with a couple of lenses, a point and shoot and a small camcorder.

Of course I will take the needed chargers, extra batteries and storage media.

I have been taking photos since I was in high school back in the early 70's. My work today involves taking photos, but I really love it and and pretty much a photo nut. I shoot between 20,000 to 40,000 photos a year and hours of video, going on vacation gives me a chance to shoot new places.

Here is a slide show from the Lane car museum.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/PeaceKeeper2/Lane%20Cars/?albumview=slideshow

I like this photo I snapped on the Sun.

DSC_0150.jpg

Love your picture.....I am packing for a cruise on Infinity thru Panama Canal,...and my camera is key item! Love to take pictures, and to have them to help remember trips! Also, use them as resources for painting...hobby. We are hoping to see some animals in Costa Rica, maybe some colorful birds!

I like this photo I snapped on the Sun.

DSC_0150.jpg

That is a great photo. Did you know that that photo op was coming and waited for the right moment? I can just imagine how excited I would have been if I knew that was coming and then to get a great shot like that.

Ellen

That is a great photo. Did you know that that photo op was coming and waited for the right moment? I can just imagine how excited I would have been if I knew that was coming and then to get a great shot like that.

Ellen

I had a feeling it was about to appear for me, I always have my eye out for something strange to shoot. I caught this one at the exact moment for the look on his face and the bird was even looking the right way.

On my first cruise I took way too much gear, I took a whole jump bag with all the gear I have set up for me when I need to leave fast. Next cruise I am going to take one DSLR with a couple of lenses, a point and shoot and a small camcorder.

Of course I will take the needed chargers, extra batteries and storage media.

I take a DSLR and a Flip. That's enough. :D:D

there was a time when we did land tours all over europe -- and dh carried 2 cameras and a camcorder -- and they were huge in those days -- way too much fussing trying to find the right lens -- choose the right camera -- switching from one camera to the camcorder -- he missed a lot of good shots

now -- just one camera and a few chips and batteries

Just my D90 with 18-200mm VR II lens, Nikon CP filter, 2 batteries, and 3 different cards. Debating on whether laptop is worth it. Taking iPhone 3gs and my Kindle for sure. I can do wifi on the iPhone and Kindle gets free 3gs internet.

Make sure to check about using your 3g devices for the data costs, you might get a bad surprise or not.

• 6 months later...

Updated my camera plans for my upcoming cruise. I just bought some new gear, I always love doing that, I bought a Sony DSC-WX9 camera and a GoPro 1080p video cam to go along with my Samsung HD camcorder. The GoPro will be great for getting in the water with and all of the gear uses SD cards. This should be a nice package to carry.

I was overly concerned about my camera gear on our first cruise, not paying attention to all that have gone before me. I used to shoot professionally but gave it up after doing a double wedding....but that's another story and long ago. On our last cruise in May 2011, I took only my Canon S5IS that has an adapter with a UV filter mounted. I took the charger, rechargable batteries, and the download cord for the laptop. That's it. Took tons of pictures and didn't miss the macro, wide angle, or add on flash unit. I had fun working my camera a little more and the pictures came out great.

I have four DSLR's. I'm planning on taking my D300 with the grip and a Nikon 18-200mm VR. One charger. Should be able to easily handle any of my needs. I'll also be bringing a point and shoot--I feel comfortable handing that to a stranger to get a photo of my husband and I together.

Everything else stays home.

I think it depends a bit on where you are going as well. For Alaska I took a lot of gear and used every bit of it -- 500mm down to macro. We are going to the Galapagos, and I expect to take a fair amount, but likely not the 500mm. On the other hand, heading for Italy, etc., I will take just the DSLR and one extra lens, and DW will take her point and shoot.

I agree that you don't need to take tons of equipment everywhere, but there are trips that require more.

I think it depends a bit on where you are going as well. For Alaska I took a lot of gear and used every bit of it -- 500mm down to macro. We are going to the Galapagos, and I expect to take a fair amount, but likely not the 500mm. On the other hand, heading for Italy, etc., I will take just the DSLR and one extra lens, and DW will take her point and shoot.

I agree that you don't need to take tons of equipment everywhere, but there are trips that require more.

Did you find the need for a polarizing filter on the AK cruise? Thanks.

Archived