Review Ruby Princess March 27, 2011

mycruz

Great review! We were on there as well, right down the hall from you (me, my mom, and daughter) It was nice chatting with you.

Thank you for the tip on the Crown sailing and we may be on there with you next year over spring break :)

It was a fabulous trip!

Can you please clarify your second paragraph which talks about you getting suite perks too, since you booked the trip? I thought I read you were actually in the suite? I think I'm confused.....

Murphey, we had booked a suite and an interior room because we were bring 3 grandkids and we all didn't fit in the suite. Because the kids were all under 18 I had to be booked in the interior room and was extended all the suite benefits. Laundry, internet, Thermal Suite, etc. worked for me! The only thing I haven't seen yet is the 2 credits for Captain's Circle which I emailed about once I returned. I wish I had talke to the Captain's Circle rep while on board about that one.

Mycruz, I live in Fort Lauderdale. The traffic that you experienced is typical of spring break season. It is usually pretty bad on A1A in that part of town in March and April, but other times of the year it is moderate. The restaurant that you went to, Carlos & Pepes is on 17th St a few miles from Las Olas Blvd. I agree with you that it is grim. I don't know anyone who eats there, but since it has been there for so long perhaps there are some locals who continue to go back there because they are used to it. The most popular sit-down Mexican restaurants in Fort Lauderdale are La Bamba (in north Fort Lauderdale, it's good and fast) and Rocco's Tacos on Las Olas Blvd (it's great but too noisy for some and the wait is looooooooong). For people staying at the Sheraton on the beach, I recommend Bahia Cabana for very casual waterfront dining, Coconuts for moderate waterfront dining, and 3030 at the Marriott Harbor Beach for upscale dining. I think there are some recently opened restaurants at the Sheraton (including a Mexican one) but I haven't tried them yet.

Hi Royal, I hear you about the Spring Break traffic. I just wasn't thinking about it and wasn't prepared for it! I live in Orlando and grew up in WPB, it's just been a long time since I've been in FLL at Spring Break and had to endure it! Yes, Rocco's was where we were headed but stopped at C&P's. Glad it's not just me, I love a good Mexican place so we'll check out one of the two your mentioned next time. The Dos Caminos in the Sheraton is supposed to be very good, ate at the one in NYC a couple of years ago and it was really good. We just weren't up for it, like I said, we should have stayed put that night. We're booked for another cruise next March so I'll be ready for the traffic, it just caught me off guard! Thanks for the suggestions on Mexican restaurants!

It is interesting to note that the City of Fort Lauderdale seems to be actively discouraging Spring breakers (or at least the drunken partier types) from coming to Fort Lauderdale for Spring Break these days. Doesn't seem to be working though...

I have started my own review of this cruise in a separate thread, but I have quite a bit still to write.

Archived