Teens Dress Code

We are traveling with a thirteen year old boy also. We are eating in one of the specialty restaurants for formal night as I am NOT buying a suit. 13 yo boys grow like weeds. We've bought 3 sizes of uniforms this year. For 5 days I am bringing two pair of khakis and a pair of navy pants along with polo shirts, a long sleeved dress shirt and maybe one short sleeved dress shirt. I'll also bring two pair of jeans because he will need long pants if he chooses to ice skate. If the 3 pair of dress pants are not wearable after one use then he'll have to wear jeans to dinner the last night or two. He also wants to live in shorts and tees! I had to buy those also. Last year he could dress out of his fathers closet but he's outgrown his dad! I think people forget how quickly these boys grow. I am going to try to find a sports coat a little big because he'll be in high school next year and will need one.

I think a pair of khakis will go a long way if they keep them clean then maybe you could cut them off and make dress shorts when you get home, so it's not a total waste. I found nice polos at Marshalls for $10 - $15 a piece.

There have been reports here of people being turned away from the MDR wearing shorts. It's more likely they'd let him in wearing shorts, but he'll be one of few:rolleyes:

No he won't. My son wears shorts to the MDR on casual nights. Not the basketball shorts but nice dressy shorts and a polo shirt. Lots of teen boys do.

First, thanks to those of you that didn't bash me and had some good advice as to how much/little we had to pack to make everyone happy. I truly appreciated it.

Second...I didn't say I would send him to the dining room in basketball shorts. He will likely wear nice jeans and/or pants on the non formal nights, Formal nights, he will dress up a bit more...but to get slammed for asking the question is not very nice.

Really I don't understand why this is such a hot topic with everyone.

Maybe you all live in areas that are WAY different than where we live, but on the West Coast at least where we are at, nobody cares nearly as much. Looking clean and tidy and respectful is what matters.

How are nice longer shorts any different than a thigh high excuse my language, sleasy, dresses that I guarantee you I will see. Personally I find that much more offensive. But now I know I will get bashed some more...oh well, I guess I know now not to post anything that has differing opinions.

First, thanks to those of you that didn't bash me and had some good advice as to how much/little we had to pack to make everyone happy. I truly appreciated it.

Second...I didn't say I would send him to the dining room in basketball shorts. He will likely wear nice jeans and/or pants on the non formal nights, Formal nights, he will dress up a bit more...but to get slammed for asking the question is not very nice.

Maybe you all live in areas that are WAY different than where we live, but on the West Coast at least where we are at, nobody cares nearly as much. Looking clean and tidy and respectful is what matters.

How are nice longer shorts any different than a thigh high excuse my language, sleasy, dresses that I guarantee you I will see. Personally I find that much more offensive. But now I know I will get bashed some more...oh well, I guess I know now not to post anything that has differing opinions.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says. It really ticked me that no one actually read the original post. If they had, they would realize you weren't asking if he could wear his basketball shorts, it was asking if you had to spend the money for a different outfit for each night.

Some folks read what they want to just so they can spew off at the mouth, without regard to what was actually asked.

My son WILL wear nice dressy shorts to the MDR on casual nights and I personally don't give a rats a** what anyone thinks about it. But he LOVES dressing up for the formal night.

Don't go spend a lot of money for clothes he'll outgrow in 3 months. And while you want him to look nice, make sure he's comfortable. He IS a kid and it IS vacation.

I really thought most posters gave constructive advice! I only saw one post that I would consider "bashing". Many of us have kids in that age group so we understand completely the frustrating issue of packing for teen boys!

There will be people that think wearing shorts is acceptable and there are those that don't. You can decide what is best for your family but I doubt you will get everyone to agree with you. At the end of the day, does it really matter? If you and your son are comfortable with him wearing shorts, go for it. Worse case scenario is that he will be asked to change into long pants or dine elsewhere.

You are right MOST people were very constructive and I TOTALLY appreciate that. But there were a few that threw me for a loop with how nasty they can become.

I NEVER SAID he would wear basketball shorts to dinner. I said that is what he wears every single day to school. And guess what, so do 99 percent of his friends. That's what kids these day do here.

I'm totally ok with buying a few sets of nicer clothes, but was trying to figure out how many i had to buy. I specifically wanted to understand if a jacket/suit/tux was necessary for formal night or if pants and a shirt were ok.

the reason I asked about shorts is because I could figure out how many I needed based on what he can wear and can't wear to dinner. Not that he would wear basketeball shorts for dinner, but I'm buying him some nicer shorts for touring.

Thanks again for the nice posters here...people like Sailawayjack...what is the purpose of being so nasty?

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says. It really ticked me that no one actually read the original post. If they had, they would realize you weren't asking if he could wear his basketball shorts, it was asking if you had to spend the money for a different outfit for each night.

Some folks read what they want to just so they can spew off at the mouth, without regard to what was actually asked.

My son WILL wear nice dressy shorts to the MDR on casual nights and I personally don't give a rats a** what anyone thinks about it. But he LOVES dressing up for the formal night.

Don't go spend a lot of money for clothes he'll outgrow in 3 months. And while you want him to look nice, make sure he's comfortable. He IS a kid and it IS vacation.

:) Thanks

You are right MOST people were very constructive and I TOTALLY appreciate that. But there were a few that threw me for a loop with how nasty they can become.

I NEVER SAID he would wear basketball shorts to dinner. I said that is what he wears every single day to school. And guess what, so do 99 percent of his friends. That's what kids these day do here.

I'm totally ok with buying a few sets of nicer clothes, but was trying to figure out how many i had to buy. I specifically wanted to understand if a jacket/suit/tux was necessary for formal night or if pants and a shirt were ok.

the reason I asked about shorts is because I could figure out how many I needed based on what he can wear and can't wear to dinner. Not that he would wear basketeball shorts for dinner, but I'm buying him some nicer shorts for touring.

Thanks again for the nice posters here...people like Sailawayjack...what is the purpose of being so nasty?

I promise you that when you return from this amazing vacation, the last thing you will remember is what your son was wearing! Now, on to the more important task of planning those excursions!

No he won't. My son wears shorts to the MDR on casual nights. Not the basketball shorts but nice dressy shorts and a polo shirt. Lots of teen boys do.

You are talking about short cruises to the Bahamas, not a Med cruise. RCI says shorts are not allowed in the MDR. You will see them, especially on short cruises which tend to be more casual. Med cruises are completely different and people tend to dress according to the suggested guidelines.

:confused:Sorry Mom, but any fault here lies with you. You booked the cruise. You should have know what expected of not only you, but your children. Then to make matters worse, you booked a European Cruise. They are always more formal than others. While your son does not need a suit for formal night, it does say "NO SHORTS". I don't give a rats a-- if they are long, short, basketball, or dressy. SHORTS ARE SHORTS. It's all on you MOM.:mad:

1. The OP asked a question. She did not say that her sons WILL be wearing shorts, merely questioned the idea

2. Your post is unnecessary, unhelpful and downright rude. Why some people on this board get a kick out of belittlling and bashing others is completely beyond me. I'll also bet my salary that posters like yourself would not dare venture their opinion in a face-to-face environment, preferring the internet as a way to vent your rubbish.

With regards to the OP, RCI's guidelines do state no shorts. Ultimately they are only guidelines, however having been a teenage boy myself 7 or 8 years back, there is nothing worse than sticking out, and you may want to consider this. Whilst myself (and probably 99%) of other cruisers wont even notice that your sons are wearing shorts, your sons themselves may feel like they stick out, and as a teenager there is nothing worse. Dont take what is posted on these boards as gospel for the way it works on the ship, especially with regards to dress code. Usually 99% of cruisers abide by the dress code for any given night, despite what people will tell you on here:rolleyes:. Therefore, just have a chat with your sons and prehaps suggest some smart trousers just to fit in with the rest of the dining room?

Hope you enjoy your cruise :)

Darren

:cool:Mom--I read your original post, and my outburst was not directed to you. You never did say that your son was going to wear basketball shorts to MDR for dinner, but it was more directed at the individual who basically said that he did not care what RCCL or anyone else said, shorts are acceptable. Others said the same thing. I don't care what they say, shorts are not acceptable to RCCL and to me at dinner in MDR. That being said--yes people do wear shorts, yes RCCL lets them get away with it. They should enforce their own rule, or do away with it. But as long as it is a rule (enforced or otherwise), people should not give advice telling other to ignore the rule. But you should be aware that European cruisers do dress more formal than Americans, and you always stand out, both onboard and ashore:cool:

2. Your post is unnecessary, unhelpful and downright rude. Why some people on this board get a kick out of belittlling and bashing others is completely beyond me. I'll also bet my salary that posters like yourself would not dare venture their opinion in a face-to-face environment, preferring the internet as a way to vent your rubbish.

Darren,

He's trollin'. Let him troll. Don't waste your time and energy feeding him. I wish we could stop them all, but we can't. Not worth your time. :)

Carry on.

Ryan

EDIT: Jack has responded to his original post. Maybe he is a little more caring than his first post displayed. Maybe next time the offending poster should take a deep breath before firing away on the keyboard... :) My apologies for my initial response.

I'm wondering about the dinner dress code for teenagers. Before you bash me for what is appropriate and not for dinner, I'm trying to figure out what is acceptable and not acceptable for my 13 year old daughter and 15 year old son on our upcoming Mediterranean cruise without breaking the bank.

My son is a sporty kid and ONLY wears basketball shorts and shirts every single day of his life. He literally owns one pair of jeans and the rest are shorts. Yes, we all know kids like this. While I'm ok making him dress up and not wear tshirts, do I really have to go buy him an entirely new wardrobe that he will never wear again and will outgrow before a year is up for one week at sea? Are teens expected to be in jackets on formal nights or could they wear khaki's and a button down shirt? how about sandals or sports shoes? Or do I have to go buy him shoes he will never wear again too.

I'm assuming that teen girls can wear stylish jeans or capri's on the non formal nights with cute dressy tanks??? On formal nights I assume a cute sundress would be enough?

To answer the first part of your question; the suggested evening dress guidelines for teenagers are exactly the same as for any other Cruiser. Being sporty is not justification but an excuse.

On another note, even though this was not asked by the OP, but she mentioned a week post cruise in Italy.

Please keep in mind that your son might need something else than shorts during that week on land, maybe even more than on the ship.

Depending on where you tour in Italy and what your plans are, long pants might be needed. Many places in Italy will not welcome your son in shorts.

To the OP I think you basically got your answer, but will give you my 2 cents. My son is now 15 and what we have always done for him is bring 2 pairs of pants, one khaki and one dark. He wears these 2 pairs of pants either with polo shirts on casual nights, or a button down shirt and tie on formal night. If we can find and borrow a jacket that fits he brings one, if not he goes without.

Immediately after dinner, he changes back into his normal shorts and t shirt to head back to the teen center.

You will find that a lot of teens do dress per the suggested dress code but definitely not all. Try walmart, target, or a local thrift store for inexpensive pants. Definitely not worth putting out lots off $$ for one vacation.

Wow, I guess I should have known this would stir the pot. Truthfully, my son is NOT a disrepectful kid. He is one of the kindest teenagers I know, gets great grades, makes good choices, so what if he feels more comfortable in shorts. This is not about a kid not wanting to follow the rules, I just think that I don't need to buy a whole new wardrobe that won't be worn again. Thanks to those of you for the ideas that he can just wear the same thing several times. And thanks for the vallidation that a suit won't be a "requirement". I'm fine buying a couple pairs of pants and a couple nice shirts and tie.

And to be honest with you, for the NON formal nights, I think that shorts can look just as classy and appropriate as clothes that technnically fit the standard. I've seen lots of totally tacky and age inappropriate clothes on kids. I'd rather see my daughter in a pair of nice shorts and a nice shirt than some of the homecoming dresses that are out there these days. Just a thought....

I just returned from Oasis, and what everyone says on CC is true...there is a dress code and some follow it and some don't. I never saw anyone turned away. I was in the same situation with my 12 year old son. This is what we did:

Day 1: He wore shorts (long plaid type) and a polo, we figured it to be less formal since everyone was just getting bags and getting settled. He probably wore flip flops, or maybe sandals. He fit in fine and I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable that he was breaking the dress code (just so you know, my kids go to catholic school and wear uniforms, so for the most part I'm a conformist.)

Formal Nights: He wore black pants, a short sleeve dress shirt, and a black tie. You could get away with 1 pair of pants, 2 shirts and 1 tie, or even 1 shirt if he's a neat eater :) Again, I never felt ill at ease that he wasn't in a suit. Actually, I thought many of the kids in suits looked uncomfortable!

Other Nights: He wore black pants and polo shirts.

Last Night: We ate in the Windjammer, but if we went to the MDR he would have dressed similar to Day 1 (plaid shorts and polo shirt.)

He only wore 2 pairs of black pants, even though we had 2 pairs of khaki pants packed as well. We skipped MDR two nights.

Good luck and happy packing!!!

On another note, even though this was not asked by the OP, but she mentioned a week post cruise in Italy.

Please keep in mind that your son might need something else than shorts during that week on land, maybe even more than on the ship.

Depending on where you tour in Italy and what your plans are, long pants might be needed. Many places in Italy will not welcome your son in shorts.

Thanks, I am aware of the restrictions, and definitely plan to get him some pants and nicer shirts, it was merely trying to figure out 17 days worth of clothing and what combination he can fit in his suitcase. And don't want more pants in his closet than I have to when we're home. I'm not worried about having multiple "outfits" for him, nor would he care, but frankly, have you smelled teenage boys clothes after a couple of wears :)

Thanks, I am aware of the restrictions, and definitely plan to get him some pants and nicer shirts, it was merely trying to figure out 17 days worth of clothing and what combination he can fit in his suitcase. And don't want more pants in his closet than I have to when we're home. I'm not worried about having multiple "outfits" for him, nor would he care, but frankly, have you smelled teenage boys clothes after a couple of wears :)
Cruisinitaly: When are you cruising? We will have teens on the 6/12 Brilliance. We live in Florida and your son sounds like ours (14). Even when its cold, he wears shorts. That being said, he does know that cruise dinners require slacks and a button down or polo shirt. I generally pack two pairs of slacks and have them laundered 1/2 way through the cruise. I do bring several shirts, but have them laundered as well. He's grown out of his dress shoes for the second time this year, so he will be wearing clean, new tennis shoes (black). Our daughter (16) wears dresses for the most part to dinner. While we dress (tux and gown) for formal night, we do not require that our children do. They always look better than 1/2 the crowd in the MDR anyway. Don't stress and pack light!!

A couple????? After 2 hours I can smell them coming from a mile a way! Ever had one "forget" their wet tennis shoes in your car for the weekend?:eek:

I'm wondering about the dinner dress code for teenagers. Before you bash me for what is appropriate and not for dinner, I'm trying to figure out what is acceptable and not acceptable for my 13 year old daughter and 15 year old son on our upcoming Mediterranean cruise without breaking the bank.

My son is a sporty kid and ONLY wears basketball shorts and shirts every single day of his life. He literally owns one pair of jeans and the rest are shorts. Yes, we all know kids like this. While I'm ok making him dress up and not wear tshirts, do I really have to go buy him an entirely new wardrobe that he will never wear again and will outgrow before a year is up for one week at sea? Are teens expected to be in jackets on formal nights or could they wear khaki's and a button down shirt? how about sandals or sports shoes? Or do I have to go buy him shoes he will never wear again too.

I'm assuming that teen girls can wear stylish jeans or capri's on the non formal nights with cute dressy tanks??? On formal nights I assume a cute sundress would be enough?

We've done 4 Med cruises with our DD over the past few years with our DD (so she was 12, 13, 14, 15) -- three RCCI (Splendour, Voyeguer, Voyeguer), one Celebrity (Solstice).

We cruised in November so it was a bit cooler in some spots than you will likely see late spring/summer/early autumn, so DD wore jeans in port and on board but wore casual skirts with a dressier cami and a light cardigan to dinners. There are lots of cute short skirts and light weight dresses out right now.

Most of the young men that she "hung" with or that I saw on board wore long pants -- some of the "docker" style on more formal occassions, but mostly more casual ones. In Europe male teens do wear jeans but they are not the levi style or more casual types that are pretty common in the states.

Cruisinitaly: When are you cruising? We will have teens on the 6/12 Brilliance. We live in Florida and your son sounds like ours (14). Even when its cold, he wears shorts. That being said, he does know that cruise dinners require slacks and a button down or polo shirt. I generally pack two pairs of slacks and have them laundered 1/2 way through the cruise. I do bring several shirts, but have them laundered as well. He's grown out of his dress shoes for the second time this year, so he will be wearing clean, new tennis shoes (black). Our daughter (16) wears dresses for the most part to dinner. While we dress (tux and gown) for formal night, we do not require that our children do. They always look better than 1/2 the crowd in the MDR anyway. Don't stress and pack light!!

Bummer, maybe they would have gotten along...we are cruising on June 19th

Hi I just wrote this on the childrens dress code thread :) >>

I just convinced my teenager to go on our cruise. I am not going to totally police the way he dresses the whole time. He has a nice suit(that we bought him for prom) he will wear that on the two formal nights the other nights he will wear jeans and a shirt. He will be clean and neat no holes or rips new clothes, but his kind of clothes. I am not going to buy him special clothes that he will never wear again and that he will be miserable wearing...we are doing the MTD so we will be sitting with just us and my folks anyway:)

Now my son is the rocker type tattoos and all! lol judge if you want:p. He will be 17 at the time of our cruise. He likes the really skinny jeans, if that is what he wants to wear to dinner thats fine with me as long as like I said above he is neat and clean with no holes;) oh he will also be wearing his chucks(old school converse) with his suit, which btw I think looks really cute:D

Archived