Oceania secrets they don't tell you

cruzluvers

I love these threads but wonder if for Oceania the "secrets" are less obvious than what you might find on Princess or Celebrity. I think the "secret" of Oceania, which is only a secret to those who have not had the pleasure of cruising on one of her fine ships, is just how AMAZING they are!

Best secret they do not tell you you is how wonderful the crew are.

They remember you from cruise to cruise

They go out of their way to make your cruise memorable & always with a smile for day one to day 30 or any time frame

Lyn

Best secret they do not tell you you is how wonderful the crew are.

They remember you from cruise to cruise

They go out of their way to make your cruise memorable & always with a smile for day one to day 30 or any time frame

Lyn

I fully agree with Lyn. Some nationalities though, just shine through above the rest.;)

This may not be a surprise to Shopperfiend (judging from the name), but the jewelry store on board has terrific merchandise, some of it fairly priced ~ and no taxes to pay. We were on Insignia in June for our wedding anniversary and DH got me beautiful diamond and tanzanite earrings for less than I could have gotten them through my jeweler at home.

Harriet

LAexNY, look out for Shannon, Cellarmaster, from Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.

Further to the topic of secrets you are not told, try an own menu burger in Waves, with a milkshake after returning from a shore excursion. Ask the carver in The Terrace, when any beef roast is on offer to slice an inch thick piece, take it out 'back' to the galley and fry as a steak. Absolutely wonderful, and never a problem for the serving staff to oblige.

There are some cruise lines that push the fact that 'whatever you want, just ask, this will be all part of your wonderful experience with us, Oceania does not push that fact but with their wonderful staff, nothing is a problem, ever, just ask and ye shall receive.:):)

Gee, Rhonda. I don't recall seeing too many Australian crew members!

Actually, the crew members I was referring to were my 2 Jamaican cook friends who have been to Australia twice now while on their vacations in the last 2 year to visit with us. And YES they are both on Marina. But I am sure the Aussie crew are great as well.:)

try an own menu burger in Waves,

what is an own menu burger:confused:

We always ask for the meat from the carvery to be cooked more ...they always seem to have rare roasts which is not to our liking:eek:

They will grill your portion in the back & bring it to your table when ready

LHT28, 'my' own menu burger is no bun, no salad, two beef patties, fried onions, sauteed mushrooms and peppers with a load of fries on the side.

What I was saying, what ever you want, however you want it is no problem for the Oceania staff.:)

LHT28, 'my' own menu burger is no bun, no salad, two beef patties, fried onions, sauteed mushrooms and peppers with a load of fries on the side.

Mine is the Kobe Beef burger (on Marina, hope it's on Regatta this summer), no garnish, no salad, slice of Swiss cheese, load of fries. Not the healthiest I suppose, but that's what vacation is for :cool:.

Also, at Waves on Marina, they have gone to a system where a waiter writes your order and table number, then submits it to the cooks. Then, they bring it to your table (which all have numbers on them). This results in fewer errors, better service, no crowding around the grill counter waiting for orders, and the drink waiter will visit your table and bring your drinks before your food. It's a smooth system; that's one of the reasons you seldom notice that Marina has more passengers.

What I was saying, what ever you want, however you want it is no problem for the Oceania staff.:)

OK got it

You can get just about any dish the way you want it ...just ask it is not just in WAVES

I do that all the time

Lyn

Mine is the Kobe Beef burger (on Marina, hope it's on Regatta this summer), no garnish, no salad, slice of Swiss cheese, load of fries. Not the healthiest I suppose, but that's what vacation is for :cool:.

Also, at Waves on Marina, they have gone to a system where a waiter writes your order and table number, then submits it to the cooks. Then, they bring it to your table (which all have numbers on them).

Don be sure to ask for the fries without the seasoning ..better for you ;)

They use to have that system in the good old days ..well actually they came to the table took your order no standing in line

Lyn

Perhaps the point Mother Mucker was trying to make was that many of the St. Petersburg tour agencies will arrange a group visa for their group, which is included in their tour price, since it costs them next to nothing. I've never been on an Oceania St. Petersburg tour, but I would guess that passengers on those tours buy their own personal visas for big bucks!

Syria used to have the same system for their licensed private tours, but, alas, now one has to apply individually for a visa. Of course, this comment is irrelevant at the moment: Oceania has cancelled its Syrian stop.

Bill

Perhaps the point Mother Mucker was trying to make was that many of the St. Petersburg tour agencies will arrange a group visa for their group, which is included in their tour price, since it costs them next to nothing. I've never been on an Oceania St. Petersburg tour, but I would guess that passengers on those tours buy their own personal visas for big bucks!

Bill

If you do a ship's tour in SPB your VISA is covered with their GROUP Visa.

Which is the same as with Alla or Red October or Denrus ...

When we did St. Pete it was with Renaissance, before these "group visa" outfits started up, and we did hire our own guide (who was incredibly inexpensive then but no longer is) and got our own visas. The cruise line never claimed that the only way to see St. Petersburg was on a ship's tour, and I've never seen O make such a claim either.

If we were to go now, I'd use one of the Red October, et al.,outfits rather than a ship's tour, but that's just because I prefer a smaller group than a full busload.

It is my understanding that neither the ship's tours nor the private tour companies are covering you with any visa but that the Russian government has created an exemption from the visa requirements for shore excursions when in port less than 72 hours total when accompanied by federally-licensed guides, who supposedly are responsible for you. Your tour ticket (and immigration card) act as a blanket visa for you.

CintiPam, that may well be! It makes sense from the government's standpoint in that such a system encourages tourism. It was a pain in the you-know-what when you just had to buy an expensive visa.

But the net result is that it becomes easy for short-term visitors (such as cruisers) to be able to see a wonderful city without having the hassle of getting their own visas.

I remember that when we left the ship in May 2001 our passport/visas were checked at least THREE times. Coming and going.

Subsequent to that visit, on more than one occasion someone would ask either here or at the Yahoo board if they could slip away from the ship's tour to do some shopping ... all I could say was, "I wouldn't advise it!"

Archived