How does Princess compare to Carnival?

TimInOhio

My wife & I are contemplating taking our 8 year-old son on his first cruise on a Carnival ship over spring break 2012. My wife & I have sailed twice the Western Caribbean on Caribbean Princess and the Eastern Caribbean on Emerald Princess. In general, how does Carnival stack up against Princess? Thanks in advance!

TimInOhio

If you choose the newer ships you'll be pleasantly suprised. The last Carnival cruise we went on was the Liberty and the layout was very similar to Grand series. Food was good, entertainment was good, we had a great time. Go for it!

I went on the CB for a 7 day southern Caribbean cruise last Christmas. Then I went on a 4 day spring break cruise in March on Carnival. I don't think I was comparing apples to apples, but I will never go on Carnival again!

Like the other posters have said, if you select a 7 day cruise, you should be fine, but I went from one extreme to another and was not very happy with the cruise.

Some of the noticeable items were the food, entertainment and the activities by the pool deck. The food and entertainment was scaled back from princess. The pool activities were sometimes not very family friendly, some were carnival sponsored and some were the guests putting on their own show. I don't know if this was because it was a short 4 day spring break cruise or the norm for Carnival?

Our one and only Carnival cruise was very good and compared favorably to Princess.

I do not think you can make a straight cruise line to cruise line comparison. I think that it very much depends on the ship, the length of the cruise, and the date of the cruise.

Our Carnival cruise was 8 days, departed mid week, and it was not within school break or post secondary reading week break. It was a very good cruise and dispelled many of the negative comments that we had read about Carnival. Now, a 4 or 7 day cruise during Spring break or school vacation, on an older ship, may have resulted in a completely different experience for us. Would we try Carnival again...absolutely YES.

If you choose the newer ships you'll be pleasantly suprised. The last Carnival cruise we went on was the Liberty and the layout was very similar to Grand series. Food was good, entertainment was good, we had a great time. Go for it!

Our first and then many of the other cruises after cruise on Liberty were with Princess and we find layout to be much better on Princess ship. In fact this is one of the reasons we prefer Princess. Numerous smaller better quality pools rather that huge pool areas where everybody tend to gather making it very crowded.

Overall Princess ambiance is nicer and more refined.

We are trying Spirit class (Miracle) of Carnival for our next cruise, because it seems nicer than Conquest (Liberty) class.

Food on Princess and service are also better, but Carnival's isn't bad too.

If you are sailing during school vacation there will be tons of kids and very limited adult only space on Carnival.

Like the other posters have said, if you select a 7 day cruise, you should be fine, but I went from one extreme to another and was not very happy with the cruise.

6 dayer on Liberty during Thanksgiving week didn't work for us. It was brand new and shining, but huge crowds and bottlenecks everywhere were horrible. I almost had a panic attack.

I like both lines and each ship I've sailed. Yes, the waterslides on Carnival are great!

Princess is a bit fancier in decor, but food, service, etc. is very comparable to Carnival. I have neighbors whose kids love Camp Carnival.

ENJOY!

Sailed Caribbean Princess 2 years ago and Carnival Pride this past February.

We loved both cruises, for different reasons and wouldn't hesitate to book either again.

here is the link to my review of Carnival Pride should you wish to read it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1360179&highlight=

Have fun making the decission.

We enjoy both lines. Carnival's ships are a bit flashier, kind of neon-like, and Princess' ships are more subdued, beautiful wood and marble touches. Food is comparable in my opinion as is entertainment. The kids love the waterslides that Princess does not have on their ships. Both have excellent kids' programs. I give Carnival the edge on comfy beds.

I think you'll enjoy your cruise. You did mention that you will be going during spring break.....Some of Carnival cruises during that time can be more of a college party atmosphere, but that's usually a bigger issue on shorter cruises. Just keep it in mind.

Have a great time!

Archived