Packing cubes, shoe bags & ziplocks!

FoghornLeghorn

I'm an organzied packer (and planner - we all have our crosses to bear ;))

I've always used big ziplock bags, medium ziplock bags, small, tiny...about all sizes. After reading on the boards about the packing cubes, I ordered a set of ebags.

Just received them & when I opened the package I thought...oh crapola, they only sent me the big size and not the medium & small that was supposed to be in the set!!

Nope, I was wrong. It was so lightweight I had no idea the other two were inside the big one. It was amazing how sturdy and how lightweight they are. I am so excited to use them on my next trip.

13032_9_1?&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1&qlt=80&hei=140&wid=140

I also, will continue to take my beloved ziplock bags in all sizes. But, they do tend to slide around a lot. The ebags, I think will be less inclined to move around.

SHOES! I have several friends who travel and cruise a lot. Making it hard to buy them gifts for birthdays or bon voyage.

I must keep my shoes in something in my luggage, so I have replaced my normal lunch sacks (yes, the brown paper ones) and my ziplock bags with something I found at personalization.com. I ordered several for friends and then of course, when they came, I had to order some for myself.

This place is always running specials 20 - 30 percent off, or free shipping, etc. Love this place.

Sometimes I think we just need to do things for ourselves, that make us feel special too!

2795-14312.jpg

I've always used big ziplock bags, medium ziplock bags, small, tiny...about all sizes. After reading on the boards about the packing cubes, I ordered a set of ebags.

Just received them & when I opened the package I thought...oh crapola, they only sent me the big size and not the medium & small that was supposed to be in the set!!

Nope, I was wrong. It was so lightweight I had no idea the other two were inside the big one. It was amazing how sturdy and how lightweight they are. I am so excited to use them on my next trip.

I also, will continue to take my beloved ziplock bags in all sizes. But, they do tend to slide around a lot. The ebags, I think will be less inclined to move around.

SHOES! I have several friends who travel and cruise a lot. Making it hard to buy them gifts for birthdays or bon voyage.

I must keep my shoes in something in my luggage, so I have replaced my normal lunch sacks (yes, the brown paper ones) and my ziplock bags with something I found at personalization.com. I ordered several for friends and then of course, when they came, I had to order some for myself.

This place is always running specials 20 - 30 percent off, or free shipping, etc. Love this place.

Sometimes I think we just need to do things for ourselves, that make us feel special too!

2795-14312.jpg

I use the packing cubes also. It really does make it easier and more organized.

I am all about being organized as well..... can't say I give my shoes the special treatment but I also use all the zip locks as well.

Container Store. com has a nice selection of travel items...

Happy Travels....

I am all about organization and also use the zip lock bags. I have seen the packing cubes advertised - but I am wondering if they just plain take up more room in your luggage?

If you still recommend them what sizes do you recommend and how much actual clothing do they hold? Where would you get the best deals (I am in Canada)

Thanks

years and years ago -- actually in the 50's when i first started to travel -- i watched as one of the truck drivers deliberately swung his luggage cart as he approached the plane's luggage hold area and every piece of luggage flew off his carts into the snow/slush - several suircases flew open from the impact and peoples clothes went into the mess and he just laughed

so i got an idea -- buy plastic sweater bags and blanket bags and a few other sizes that i could get then -- and pack all clothes in them

since then we have had to replace a few bags and now i have to patch a few bags as you can no longer buy them

once we are on the ship -- we just slide the plastic bags into drawers -- dh has his own -- i have my own -- easy to see everything -- and personal items do not touch drawers that may be dirty

Love the personalized shoe bags! I hate hate hate packing, so cute stuff like that makes the task a little less miserable for me. :o

HUGE thanks to Janet for reminding me about the Container Store! I have been scouring websites for my idea of the "perfect" travel bottles for my toiletries, and I have found the holy grail at Container Store. You're a life saver!

NeedabreakCanada:

I just bought my ebags. Love them. Will be using them on the Disney Dream in a few weeks.

I bought the combo set in the picture I posted.

Large, medium and small.

The large is a little bigger than the 2 1/2 gallon ziplock I use.

The small one I'll use for unmentionables

I will still use ziplocks.

I was just amazed at how light they were.

So, once I get back I might get another set.

Or, I might get one or two more of a certain size.

I'll just have to see how they work and how much I can get in them, etc.

I like it that the top part is mostly mesh, so you can see what's in them. Some bags I've seen are solid.

SewCruise: I so agree on the shoe bags. Just a little something cute to take on my trips. They really make cute gifts.

Krazy: I agree with the ziplock in the drawers! They should really make some different colors so we keep things separate.

Just be careful how much of this extra packing stuff you buy, it does add a bit of weight and does take up some extra space.

I use one packing folder in the suitcase, usually for shirts that can wrinkle easier. The packing cubes for stuff that I can roll tightly, like socks and underwear, I have a half tube cube for my electronic charging cords.

I do use ziploc baggies, but I line the bottom and top of my case with them, in case someone else decides to bring a bottle of wine that breaks or soda cans that explode.

I work a second part time job in a luggage/travel supply store and advise people all the time regarding the packing aids. They do come in handy at times, but don't forget to use every nook and cranny to pack, never pack empty bags, like coolers or evening bags. I'm not saying don't take them, just don't pack them empty.

I have several sets of the packing cubes/folders/compression bags and I can say that quality does make a difference. We carry the Eagle Creek brand and they are a lot more durable than the less expensive brands you get in places like Target.

years and years ago -- actually in the 50's when i first started to travel -- i watched as one of the truck drivers deliberately swung his luggage cart as he approached the plane's luggage hold area and every piece of luggage flew off his carts into the snow/slush - several suircases flew open from the impact and peoples clothes went into the mess and he just laughed

so i got an idea -- buy plastic sweater bags and blanket bags and a few other sizes that i could get then -- and pack all clothes in them

since then we have had to replace a few bags and now i have to patch a few bags as you can no longer buy them

once we are on the ship -- we just slide the plastic bags into drawers -- dh has his own -- i have my own -- easy to see everything -- and personal items do not touch drawers that may be dirty

I've noticed for several years now that blankets and sheets come in nice zippered plastic bags. I save those, and yes, pack in them. They are great for that. I call them the redneck packing cubes.:D

FYI - plastic helps reduce friction. Friction causes wrinkles. Use plastic drycleaning bags or even the cheapest lightest tall kitchen garbage bags (I buy clear) to put your dress clothes in and this helps reduce the wrinkles drastically.

2795-14312.jpg

Thanks for the tip on ebags packing cubes. They look like just the thing I need! I just bought some from e-bay (sold by ebags) for $18 + free shipping. Looking forward to using them!

Archived