Visitors aboard ship

billys mom

Does anyone know if visitors are allowed the board the ship while we are docked in Port Canaveral? My grampa lives in Florida and would like to drive to the ship to see us and he was wondering if he could get on the ship to see us or if we would have to make plans to meet him somewhere.

Visitors are only allowed under special circumstances and with a great deal of paperwork. I've boarded the ship just for lunch and a couple of hours visit and it required passport numbers and other papers prior to the date because it has to go thru immigration.

Grandpa can still come to the port and see the ship from the outside of the terminal and you can go from there to lunch. He will at least be able to see the ship.

Entering the cruise ship terminal is very much like entering the gate areas at an airport (although no shoe removal required....yet). Only prescreened and ticketed cruise pax can go past that point now. Then the ship's computer scans you aboard capturing your picture that is coded on your issued room/everything card. Then it scans you off and back on again at each port. They keep a very accurate accounting of the persons on board with that system.

When I was a kid, it was common to entertain friends and family in your stateroom before sailing. Bon Voyage Parties were so much fun, and our friends would then stay to watch the ship sail away. Streamers, confetti and the "all ashore who's going ashore" announcements used to be exciting parts of the sail away experience.

It was also fun to board other ships when in ports, either to be nosy or to preview them for future sailings.

Just a couple of the many sad things we've given up due to terrorism.

Willy,

I never got to experience a sail away with streamers etc, but I do remember going aboard a couple of ships when I was very young with my Granny and Parents. The most vivid memory is going to one of the ship's nurseries and they had a real rocking horse with horsehair tail and mane.

I also rememeber going to meet relatives AT the gate when the plane arrived or going to the gate to see them off, times have certainly changed.

I hate to "one up" you, but.....

When my aunt and uncle were flying to Italy, back in the 60's, the folks at the airport actually let me run across the tarmac and go up the stairs and into the plane to kiss them good bye. I actually remember that clearly!!!! Funnier yet was that a famous singer at the time named Bobby Sherman was sitting across the isle from them.

I'm sure everyone was smoking cigarettes in their seats too! I can't say that I recall that, but I do recall being on planes as a teenager when half the passengers were smoking, using a tiny little ashtray built into their arm rests.

IMAGINE?!?!?!?!

OMG!! I LOVED Bobby Sherman! Watched 7 Brides for 7 Brothers on T.V. just to see him! LOL

Yes I remember smoking on planes too, I also recall having fewer seats and more room, and the stewardesses walking down the aisles right before take-off with trays of chewing gum and candy. Life was more pleasant.....

Archived