Internet and Phone Advice

bluejayrover

(I posted this in response to another thread for Insgnia, but it applies to all Oceania ships.)

I was on Nautica this Jan/Feb and got to understand the internet system and capabilities very well. As a currently working executive, it was extremely important that I kept up with my emails and in touch with the office daily. But I also did not want to spend more than the cost of the cruise itself for internet service - you laugh? It can easily be done!

Here is what I discovered:

There are two systems: internet and cruise mail.

USING THE INTERNET SYSTEM IS NOT THE MOST COST EFFICIENT WAY TO GET YOUR EMAIL - CRUISEMAIL IS. SEE BELOW ON HOW TO USE CRUISEMAIL TO YOUR BENEFIT.

Internet:

Cost - without discounts it's $1.00 per minute. That's $1,440 per day! If you buy their package you can cut it down to $720 a day.

Speed - its as slow as your first AOL dial up modem in 1998. You can spend 2-5 minutes just to get to your email.

If you use Comcast, ATT, Roadrunner, etc. make sure you know your username and password and how to get to the log-in screen. Many passengers are used to using their home PC/Mac where they just hit a "Mail" icon to get to their inbox and don't know another way. That will not work on the ship. You need to know your mail provider - for example, if you use Comcast, how to go to Comcast.net and enter your username and password and get to your inbox. Same if you are using an IPAD.

If you have a Kindle, load everything before you leave!

If you like to surf the net (Ebay, Facebook etc.) remember is very expensive. On shore you will find plenty of internet cafe's and hotels that will have much cheaper access - even on your IPhone.

CRUISEMAIL:

Before you leave on your cruise, Oceania provides you with a CruiseMail address. You can receive unlimited emails at this address for FREE. It costs $2.95 to respond to the email - even if it takes you two hours to write the response. You can even write a response, save a draft, come back to it and send it for $2.95. On the internet system it will cost you $1.00 for each minute it takes you to just write the reply. And think how much email you get that you just want to read and never reply to - these are all FREE.

What I did was before I left: I had all my email from multiple accounts forwarded to the cruisemail email address I was given beginning on the first day of the cruise. You need to set this up before you leave. Work with your provider on how to do this. Then on the boat I received over 1,000 emails during my trip for FREE and responded to only a few. This was FAR CHEAPER than using the INTERNET system.

The Oceania person on-board does not know the CruiseMail system and gets people to the internet - I suspect to make the line more money. They almost discourage the use of CruiseMail.

I have given Oceania feedback that they need to lower the price and have unlimited service for just a premium over what a good hotel would charge - like $25.00 a day instead of $1,440 per day. There were people who didn't know how to sign out of the internet and the thing would keep charging their credit card and they would have a $700 bill on the first day!

ADVICE FOR PHONE USERS:

Especially for smart phones (Iphone, BlackBerry) make sure you turn off roaming, wi-fi and location services while on board the ship (best to have your phone powered off completely). If it is on you will get reception from the boat's service which is not covered under ANY plans. Even international unlimited plans. If you use your cell phone on board thinking you are fine because you have an international plan, you will have a HUGE bill when you get back.

When you are off the boat, then turn on your phone and roaming, or use the wi-fi piece for internet access.

Good Luck!

I really appreciate your post but find it incredible. My wife and I are sailing on the Marina next month. It's our first Oceania cruise. In the past, mostly on Crystal, we've purchased a large block of minutes at the beginning of the cruise, purchasing additional minutes later on, as needed. I can't ever recall spending more than several hundred dollars total. I'm an attorney, as is my wife, and we both need to stay in contact with our offices and clients. I typically access my Outlook account via Citrix. Is Oceania simply that much more expensive than Crystal when it comes to internet usage?

Finally, I have an iPhone and was planning on activating an international roaming plan for the duration of the cruise. Based on what you've indicated, I assume that I should only use my phone while in port, correct?

Thanks, again.

. Is Oceania simply that much more expensive than Crystal when it comes to internet usage?

Thanks, again.

I cannot imagine going on a cruise to spend several hours on the internet but to each his own :eek:

Here are the prices for Oceania you can decide what works best for you

Pricing

We offer 6 different rate packages, which include the following:

-$.95 per minute with no package

-100 minutes for $80.00, additional minutes are $.80 per minute

-200 minutes for $140.00, additional minutes are $.70 per minute

-500 minutes for $300.00, additional minutes are $.60 per minute

-800 minutes for $400.00, additional minutes are $.50 per minute

-1,200 minutes for $540.00, additional minutes are $.45 per minute

Package amounts are charged upfront and no refunds will be made for unused minutes. All additional minutes are charged at the same rate level.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/stayintouch.aspx

I really appreciate your post but find it incredible. My wife and I are sailing on the Marina next month. It's our first Oceania cruise. In the past, mostly on Crystal, we've purchased a large block of minutes at the beginning of the cruise, purchasing additional minutes later on, as needed. I can't ever recall spending more than several hundred dollars total. I'm an attorney, as is my wife, and we both need to stay in contact with our offices and clients. I typically access my Outlook account via Citrix. Is Oceania simply that much more expensive than Crystal when it comes to internet usage?

Finally, I have an iPhone and was planning on activating an international roaming plan for the duration of the cruise. Based on what you've indicated, I assume that I should only use my phone while in port, correct?

Thanks, again.

As you can see Oceania does have plans but they are not cheap! Also, for those rich people that can afford hundreds of dollars on emails and think nothing of it, I was trying to provide some tips on how to get your email - like knowing your provider's home page and username/passowrd. Also, I was trying to provide Cruisemail as a low-cost alternative.

yes, I did enjoy my trip because I was able to easily keep up with my business and kept the cost down in doing so. I could have charged the cost to my business but it was so outrageous I could not justify it. I was very happy with the CruiseMail system and happy to make more people aware of it as an alternative to checking their email then the more traditional system.

When i was on-board, it was amazing how few people heard of the CruiseMail system eventhough a personalized email address was provided to everyone in their final packette of information.

I hope oceania goes to unlimited service for free and promotes the hell out of it...but I doubt it.

As for your phone, wcheck with your carrier and oceania but most likely your international plan is not covered by Oceania's carrier.

Hi blujayrover. How were you notified that you received an email? Thanks.

It was in the final pack (looks like a blue bound booklet) of information I received. Right near my name, address and all that on the first page. I am sure customer service can provide it to you also if you are having trouble finding it. It only worked for the days of the cruise. I tried sending some stuff to their early as a test but it got kicked back.

Thanks bluejayrover for the great information on internet use.... this is our 3rd Oceania coming up on the 26APR and we will be spending 16 glorious days on the Regatta.

In the past, I have purchased an internet package and taken advantage of internet access cafes when in port.

I always take my own laptop with me since it has all of the necessary work programs needed. Is it possible to check the cruisemail account from my personal laptop in our PH??

could you get on to cruisemail from YOUR laptop in YOUR cabin, and check to see if there were any emails for you?

Was there still a screen outside the computer lab that listed the names of people who had cruisemail? That's how I checked last cruise, when i didn't take my own laptop, but someone posted that the screen isn't there anymore...

Thanks!

It was in the final pack (looks like a blue bound booklet) of information I received.

You did not answer the question

When you were on the ship how were you notified that you had mail or did you just check regularly?

Was there still a screen outside the computer lab that listed the names of people who had cruisemail? That's how I checked last cruise, when i didn't take my own laptop, but someone posted that the screen isn't there anymore...

Thanks!

Marian

there was no screen on Marina at least none that I saw

Maybe someone on the R-ships will comment

Lyn

There was no screen outside the computer lab on Oceania in Feb. I found my cruisemails by checking regularly. I only used my own PC in port so I do not know, but I would assume the wi-fi on board hits their log-in screen which has a separate button off the home page for Cruisemail. The lapstops in concierge match the ones in the lab and they can reach cruise mail so I assume your own PC can as well.

Thanks for the update on accessing cruisemail in the room - we are in a penthouse and usually put their computer away but if I can not access cruisemail with my laptop then will use theirs....

This will save me 100's of minutes checking email.

I will set up my emails to forward to my cruisemail email address and enjoy being able to check emails for free :)

When you use cruisemail to check your emails, can you delete emails at no cost or is that chargeable?

Regarding the iPhone with ATT service: if your phone is on and a call comes in and goes unanswered to your voicemail, you will still be charged international roaming fees. Besides whatever else has been mentioned to shut off, remember to shut off "push data." Just had a looooong conversation at the ATT store yesterday. What I plan to do is forward my iPhone to my magicjack and pick up any messages in my email. You can buy an international texting plan for $10 for 50 texts sent and 200 received.

Another thankyou from someone who also has to run a business whilst on holidays. My phone bills and email costs have been enormous in the past so I will cerainly take all of this onboard.

Kellie;)

I was very glad that you shared that information as I was appalled at the cost of internet usage on our first Oceania cruise this past winter. Oceania uses the same company to supply their interest services as Holland America but they charge twice as much. And it's not even fast.

I did buy a package and found I got better speed on my own laptop in my cabin than I did using their computers in the lab.

We are sailing with them again in a few months so I will give your suggestions a try.

Thanks.

Bluejayrover: Is there a cost for incoming emails that you read/delete on your cruise account that is set up by Oceania???

Also, I use Yahoo mail. Do you know how I can forward that email to my Oceania email account? I asked Yahoo and they don't know what I am talking about. Maybe I'm not asking the question correctly?

Also, I use Yahoo mail. Do you know how I can forward that email to my Oceania email account? I asked Yahoo and they don't know what I am talking about. Maybe I'm not asking the question correctly?

Go to your yahoo mail click on OPTIONS (top right) then in the pull down menu click on MORE OPTIONS

On the left there are several categories go to POP & FORWARDING

check the box to Forward your yahoo mail (put new email address) in the space

Lyn

Forwarding sounds like a great idea, but what happens to the emails that arrive AFTER you get off the ship, and BEFORE you get home?

I guess they're just lost in cyberspace forever?

Marian

Yes that is correct

so you would need to go online before the end of the cruise & change the settings

Maybe in the last port of call in a cybercafe

It is a trade off I guess ;)

Lyn

There is also a setting to send it to your mobile phone

Go to your yahoo mail click on OPTIONS (top right) then in the pull down menu click on MORE OPTIONS

On the left there are several categories go to POP & FORWARDING

check the box to Forward your yahoo mail (put new email address) in the space

Lyn

Thanks. I'll have to decide whether to upgrade my Yahoo account ($20). This option isn't available to the casual, free email user. It'd be worth it if someone could answer the question as to whether just reading and deleting incoming email is charged in the cruise's email system.

Thanks. I'll have to decide whether to upgrade my Yahoo account ($20). This option isn't available to the casual, free email user. It'd be worth it if someone could answer the question as to whether just reading and deleting incoming email is charged in the cruise's email system.

Well I do not pay for my yahoo dot com account

so not sure what you are talking about unless they charge in other countries for using Yahoo mail

Archived