Internet and Phone Advice

bluejayrover

I don't know about Yahoo but I know that on Gmail, you can have your e-mails forwarded to another address but opt to also keep them in your Gmail inbox. So you wouldn't miss any in the transition from ship to home. I would guess there is the same option on Yahoo.

On hotmail.com free account, there is no charge for forwarding and there also is a place to check that you want the original email to still be visible on hotmail.com. This way you can forward your emails to cruisemail account, check them for free and still be able to reply/see your email from your hotmail account.

gmail also offers the same service.

I take my own laptop so I can compose replies on my laptop, cut and paste into an email and then send from my laptop using only a minute of two of internet time.

I don't know about Yahoo but I know that on Gmail, you can have your e-mails forwarded to another address but opt to also keep them in your Gmail inbox.

I did not see that option in Yahoo

I did a test & there was no mail left in the yahoo account it went directly to my new designated email

I dont remember who, but I think it is the original poster, that if Oceania were to make the internet free and available to all, they would have a good chance at becoming the #1 cruise line.

I am right in there with all the complaints and suggestions and frustrations. I was also on the maiden voyage where all internet was free to everyone. Is there some data that was recorded from that cruise regarding the cost to Oceania for that cruise's free internet?

I am wondering why we have not heard from Don (honderner). He has experienced some of the same challenges and keeps in touch with Frank DelRio and Bob Binder so I am almost certain they have an awareness of the passengers concerns or perhaps complaints is a better term.

Don, where are ya? Maybe off on another cruise but can't participate because of the internet costs?

So many of us have written so long about this........is anyone out there from Oceania? OR is it the reality that Oceania only wants thepatronage/ people with enough money not to care about internet charges. I sure hope that is not the case and do not believe it because we met and talked with both Mr. DelRio and Mr. Binder on our maiden voyage and they seem real and friendly and interested in all of us.

As you may have surmised, I am an internet user, for pleasure. On the Marina maiden, I was delighted to be able to send a travelogue daily to my family and close friends. I love to check CC and reply now and then. Perhaps a bit of research on a port we are approaching. You know......

My two cents.

Lynne

Well I do not pay for my yahoo dot com account

so not sure what you are talking about unless they charge in other countries for using Yahoo mail

There is the Classic Yahoo Mail and the Yahoo Mail Plus. They charge $19.99 for the Yahoo Mail Plus which allows mail forwarding.

Maybe they weren't charging for the additional feature when you got it but they are now!

There is the Classic Yahoo Mail and the Yahoo Mail Plus. They charge $19.99 for the Yahoo Mail Plus which allows mail forwarding.

Maybe they weren't charging for the additional feature when you got it but they are now!

Sorry I have classic YAHOO mail

If you just follow the instructions you will see where you can forward mail FREE:rolleyes:

as of 6pm tonight they were not charging anything to forward mail

Try this

Go to your yahoo mail click on OPTIONS then MAIL OPTIONS (top right)

On the left there are several categories go to POP & FORWARDING

check the box to Forward your yahoo mail (put new email address) in the space SAVE CHANGES

Sorry I have classic YAHOO mail

If you just follow the instructions you will see where you can forward mail FREE:rolleyes:

as of 6pm tonight they were not charging anything to forward mail

Try this

Go to your yahoo mail click on OPTIONS then MAIL OPTIONS (top right)

On the left there are several categories go to POP & FORWARDING

check the box to Forward your yahoo mail (put new email address) in the space SAVE CHANGES

I followed your directions and here is what I got:

Upgrade to Mail Plus so you can:

download your Yahoo! Mail in an email client, such as Outlook

forward your Yahoo! Mail to a different address

I followed your directions and here is what I got:

Upgrade to Mail Plus so you can:

download your Yahoo! Mail in an email client, such as Outlook

forward your Yahoo! Mail to a different address

Sorry I do not know what to say

I checked 2 of our YAHOO.COM accounts & it worked on both

You must be using a different YAHOO Classic than I am

Lyn

Do I understand this right? If you use the email on the ship, you can send and receive for free? Not talking about any "forward stuff" just using the oceana email they assign to you in the blue folder.

Deb

If you send emails it is $3.95 per email address

at least that is what I think the paper said in the folder

You cannot send for free

You're right. Sending email is $3.95 using your Oceania@Sea email address.

I wonder what happens to email that is forwarded to Oceania's email system that you want to keep? I have a few email accounts, but what if you only have one? You can't return email you want to keep to your Yahoo account because all that email is forwarded to Oceania AND besides, it would cost $3.95 per.

I'm still debating whether to buy the Yahoo Mail Plus for $19.95. (I'm telling you Lyn---I cannot click on any link that will allow me to forward mail. What I get is a message that forwarding mail is only available on Yahoo Mail Plus.) What happens at the end of the year when I don't want to buy it again? Does everything then revert to the free account or am I going to run into a problem?

My former boss would call this "chasing ghosts."

The original idea of forwarding mail sounded great but the more I look into it, the more issues that need to be addressed.

You're right. Sending email is $3.95 using your Oceania@Sea email address.

I wonder what happens to email that is forwarded to Oceania's email system that you want to keep? I have a few email accounts, but what if you only have one? You can't return email you want to keep to your Yahoo account because all that email is forwarded to Oceania AND besides, it would cost $3.95 per.

I'm still debating whether to buy the Yahoo Mail Plus for $19.95. (I'm telling you Lyn---I cannot click on any link that will allow me to forward mail.

Are you in the UK?

Someone mentioned that hotmail & Gmail you can save the messages there as well as forward them

I would do a test to one of your email accounts before you go to save any problems with cruise mail

Lyn

Are you in the UK?

Someone mentioned that hotmail & Gmail you can save the messages there as well as forward them

I would do a test to one of your email accounts before you go to save any problems with cruise mail

Lyn

In the USA. I use Yahoo Classic Mail and Gmail.

I still am not sure how to use the Cruisemail. We contacted Oceania and they said you had to notify "Oceania@Sea" upon embarkation. Sounds like that is a per minute deal as explained in the Blue Book. I am not sure anyone really understands the system. How do we set up for Cruisemail upon embarkation??

You have been very helpful on all this but please clarify what you did.

Thanks!!

I still am not sure how to use the Cruisemail. We contacted Oceania and they said you had to notify "Oceania@Sea" upon embarkation. Sounds like that is a per minute deal as explained in the Blue Book. I am not sure anyone really understands the system. How do we set up for Cruisemail upon embarkation??

You have been very helpful on all this but please clarify what you did.

Thanks!!

This is the way that Oceania@Sea works:

An Email address is set up for each passenger, for the duration of that cruise ONLY.

Passengers may receive and compose email without cost, but there is a $3.95 charge PER OUTGOING EMAIL.

At the end of the cruise, the account is deleted and the email address ceases to exist.

This is the way that Oceania@Sea works:

An Email address is set up for each passenger, for the duration of that cruise ONLY.

Passengers may receive and compose email without cost, but there is a $3.95 charge PER OUTGOING EMAIL.

At the end of the cruise, the account is deleted and the email address ceases to exist.

So when did they start not charging for incoming mail? When we were on Insignia in 08 there was a charge for incoming mail.

So when did they start not charging for incoming mail? When we were on Insignia in 08 there was a charge for incoming mail.

When they 'upgraded' the internet and moved to a new supplier.

The price went from $2 each way to $3.95 but only for a send, free to receive so a complete single conversation 'loop' EMAIL cost is (virtually) the same. Just to send a message to say, your tour guide to confirm your arrival, will now cost twice as much but at least you have control to not respond to an incoming informational email if you want.

The OP, bluejayrover, has written an excellent post on email use. I am thankful for that review as this change to cruisemail (from the old free to see *IF* there is email / notice board announcing who has mail) is a disappointment to me and the way I want to use email on vacation.

In the original post there is an item in conflict to my experience on Marina's MV so things may have changed. If so that is a great improvement. I will not repeat my issues with cruisemail I posted elsewhere as they may now be mostly resolved.

Just would appreciate clarification on two points:

1. On Marina's MV we had nothing on the Computer Room's PCs' Desktop or Start menu except to log into our account.

On the computer rooms PC's can one now access a program to compose messages (i.e Notepad) without charge?

2. On that same cruise, because we had to log into our internet account before having access to anything, we could not access cruisemail without using internet minutes. There *may* have been a link on that same log in page to go to cruisemail but the system DID require a login to the internet account before going to the crusiemail page where I could then log into cruisemail email.

Is that no longer true - can cruisemail really be accessed without logging into internet account and incurring charges?

I appreciate hearing of experiences becasue it sounds like things may have changed since I sailed in January but there is some conflicting / confusing info (to me.)

thanks

2. On that same cruise, because we had to log into our internet account before having access to anything, we could not access cruisemail without using internet minutes. There *may* have been a link on that same log in page to go to cruisemail but the system DID require a login to the internet account before going to the crusiemail page where I could then log into cruisemail email.

Is that no longer true - can cruisemail really be accessed without logging into internet account and incurring charges?

I seem to recall on the top right there was a place to log into the cruisemail without signing in for the packages

I just used a package rate so did not really pay much attention to the cruisemail portion

Hope someone will answer your query with a definitive answer

Lyn

• 2 months later...
If someone sends me an e-mail at the cruisemail account, how do I retrieve it?

Can I do this on my own device or MUST i go to the ships own internet area to read it?

From either

Just go to the web page I think on the top right there is a place to sign in for the Oceania cruisemail without incurring a fee

I might have been dreaming but I thought someone had posted a screen shot of the main page

Yes, that is correct. No need to go to the internet to check your cruisemail. There is a button on the home screen when you go into the computer room. or as the attendant and they will show you how to get to it. Give that email address to all our firends and relatives and figure out how to have your emails (from yahoo, outlook, gmail, work etc.) forward to your cruisemail address while you are away - then you can check your email for free and only reply to the very important ones. Also, the cruisemail system is faster. It will save you ALOT of money.

Thank you so very much for your most helpful info. I do Have one question...

When I send one email but have cc to one or more others... is that considered ONE message out, or one to each person...remember on the TO.. I have only one name .. appreciate yout help.. Thanks so much

Thank you so very much for your most helpful info. I do Have one question...

When I send one email but have cc to one or more others... is that considered ONE message out, or one to each person...remember on the TO.. I have only one name .. appreciate yout help.. Thanks so much

I have not used the cruise mail but I have read that they will charge for each email address in your message header

If you use webmail you can put as many as you want

Maybe someone who has used the new cruisemail can comment on their experience

Lyn

Internet:

Cost - without discounts it's $1.00 per minute. That's $1,440 per day! If you buy their package you can cut it down to $720 a day.

Who spends 60 minutes/hour, 24 hours/day on the Internet?

Archived