Kids in a separate stateroom

DavyB

I know I've seen on the boards that kids have stayed in a separate stateroom than the parents. However, when I call to book two staterooms on the Epic today, I was told that I would have to stay in the same room as my kids.

My kids will be 16 and 12 at the time of sailing. Can anyone verify that this has been done in the past?

THANKS!!

David

Your kids, at that theirs ages, would not be allowed to be booked in a cabin of their own without an adult, on any ship within the NCL fleet...I am not sure they would on any other cruise line either...

Carnival and RCCL allowed it as long as I was in a connecting stateroom or one nearby. I'm new to NCL, so it may be that they have different rules than I'm use to, which is fine.

they are correct....

what families do is book one parent in each stateroom...of course if it is just the 3 of you...you cannot book them alone

when parents book 2 rooms, at embark they just have it changed around...or even easier...do nothing and just sleep wherever you want.

Remember....the cabins must be adjoining, connecting or across from each other for NCL to allow the parents to switch at embark.

Some lines understand this so they will allow you to book adjoining or connecting (they are not the same thing btw) well knowing that you are a family and just want extra room.

However, if you are traveling as a solo parent and just want a different room for your well underage kids and you want a private room for yourself...aint gonna happen.

As of now there are just the 3 of us but may be 4 of us traveling and I would like the extra room instead of being cramped. However, with the sale going on today, I wanted to take advantage of that. Looks like I will book one room and then if my 4th decides to go, then I will add a room later with one adult in each room.

Thanks for the heads up and happy cruising. :p

David

As of now there are just the 3 of us but may be 4 of us traveling and I would like the extra room instead of being cramped. However, with the sale going on today, I wanted to take advantage of that. Looks like I will book one room and then if my 4th decides to go, then I will add a room later with one adult in each room.

Thanks for the heads up and happy cruising. :p

David

that will cost you some $$...not sure how much...but I am sure they will try....although maybe the prices will go down:D

We put our older kids in a seperate stateroom right next door. They put 1 adult and 1 child per room on the ticket, and we stayed in 1 room and they were in the other. They were fine. You could also try adjoining rooms, but I know a adult has to be listed as sharing with a child.

Once onboard, you can switch rooms at will...they do NOT care who sleeps where! It's simply the booking that requires an adult with kids.....they want to make sure there ARE adults with the kids!

in his case right now there is only 1 adult cruising which is the issue.

That makes perfect sense and kudos to NCL for sticking to this policy. I'm sure they have saved themselves many issues.

Anyway, cruise has been booked with 3 of us in a large balcony. If they get on my nerves, I can head out to my large balcony. haha just kidding, my kids would never get on my nerves. ;-)

As of now there are just the 3 of us but may be 4 of us traveling and I would like the extra room instead of being cramped. However, with the sale going on today, I wanted to take advantage of that. Looks like I will book one room and then if my 4th decides to go, then I will add a room later with one adult in each room...

Book both cabins today with all four people. Then, BEFORE the final payment is due, you could cancel the second cabin if needed. But, you get the sale price now.

Just an idea.

Book both cabins today with all four people. Then, BEFORE the final payment is due, you could cancel the second cabin if needed. But, you get the sale price now.

Just an idea.

Thats a great idea. Also, while checking prices for our Star cruise in 2012, I found (and booked!) that 2 cabins were actually cheaper than 4 in one cabin. I know, sounds too good to be true! I actually called instead of booking on-line because I didn't believe it myself. Now granted, I only saved around $50! But still, 4 in a cabin would have been tight, now we have a girls room and a boys room. Also, when I booked the agent specifically told me that their needed to be an adult in each cabin at time of booking only. She said they didn't care where anyone slept once we boarded.

I would book two staterooms. If they are connecting I understood it was ok to have the kids in one. Sometimes if you call you get different policies from different people.

We've travelled with two non interconnecting rooms (admittedly with two adults). One adult is booked into each then we swap on board. You can go to the main desk and get a blank card just to open the door. Your charging still uses the main card but it means we can get in to either cabin.

I know I've seen on the boards that kids have stayed in a separate stateroom than the parents. However, when I call to book two staterooms on the Epic today, I was told that I would have to stay in the same room as my kids.

My kids will be 16 and 12 at the time of sailing. Can anyone verify that this has been done in the past?

THANKS!!

David

David, there are 2 ways to do this and why you were told no, I have not a clue: yes, if the cabins are adjacent you can put them in one cabin. If you can't seem to arrange that, just put your name on one reservation and wfie on the other, with one child in each cabin. They when you check in just re-adjust the key cards. It is done constantly.

Nita

ps, now I see there may be only 3 of you. That could complicate things a little.

Edited by newmexicoNita

THANKS!!

David

Whenever we sail with our 2 teenagers (both under 21), we book a balcony and an inside across the hall. Since one person must be at least 21 booked in each room, we book with one parent and one kid in each of the rooms and then I switch cards with one of the kids. Since my husband is usually the one to pay for alcohol, which the teens cannot do, this has not been a problem. You only have to switch back to exit and enter the ship when you are in port since they check the pictures on the cards. We have done this 2 times -- one on RC and one on NCL -- never had a problem.

On the Epic the best way is to book adjacent rooms. You can open the balcony dividers and move freely between the rooms. You don't need connectors, although they are available on decks 13 and 14. As stated by many others, there needs to be an adult booked in a room with an underaged child. We have found this to be true on all our cruises with NCL, RCI and DCL.

I was on the star in Feb. with my hubby and 3 girls 13, 7 and 6. We booked two inside rooms not connecting and were told by out NCL person we booked with that once on board we could switch our cards so my husband could use his card for our room and not our kids but they wouldn't let us. So he had to use his card for his sodas and for getting on and off the ship and our 6 year old daughters card to get into our room. When we booked he put the youngest on one reservation with one of us and the older two on the other reservation. So don't count on getting your cards switched once onboard. I even bitched and complained and it made no difference. It worked out fine but was just a pain in the butt.

• 3 years later...
We never had a problem booking our daughters into their own, connected stateroom. As long as there was a connecting door, it was no problem (and I like it better this way too - I could keep an eye on them!) ;).

Robin

We were able to book the underage children in a connecting room for our upcoming cruise. Now when I go to print the e-docs out they won't print. I was able to put in all the information but at the end the form read that if underage you could not agree to the terms and condition of the cruise contract and without checking that box the e-docs won't print. Called NCL help desk and was told that an adult has to be in each room. (Yes you do get different answers from different people at NCL). So my question is how did you book your daughters in the connecting cabin and have e-docs printed when you boarded the ship?