How Strict Is Celebrity On Smuggled Booze???

asalnars

I just don't want to get called to the naughty room just because they find wine in our checked bags, rather than our carry ons.

We carry the two wines on in our beach bag or just the plastic bag the wine came in from the store. No problem and we zip by thoses that have to unpack their bags to prove their wine allotment.

I dont understand why Celebrity allows 2 bottles of wine but no alcohol or beer.:confused:

Might as well then ask why some lines allow NO wine and some allow unlimited. If something is important, then cruisers have their choice of lines to cruise.

Smoking on some lines, non-smoking or limited on others. Same thing. Policy making is up to the cruiseline.;)

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think the decision is clear, put them in the carry on bags, I don't want to wait any longer than necessary to get my bags!

I was just looking at it from our perspective as my husband hates having a ton of carry ons since we drive right to the ship, as between my personal items I always carry on (jewerly, snacks, makeup, change of clothes) and all our camera equipment (video camera, underwater camera, and regular camera) we usually have more than enough things to hand carry without adding one more. :)

We don't find the price of drinks onboard out of line. Sure we will pay a dollar more for DH's beer he orders at a home casual restaurant. But on the cruise ship, we are basically at a resort. And some resorts we've been at charge more than the ship.

We don't drink enough to make a package a "deal" especially considering we enjoy a cold drink while at ports in a local spot. But it seems to me if you are having more than 4 or 5 drinks a day on the ship, it would be the way to go.

Personally if the price of drinks makes for fewer loud late partiers in the stateroom, I'm okay. ;)

We smuggled a couple of liters of liquor in rum runners on Solstice last year and didn't get caught, but that was likely dumb luck. I was fully prepared to get caught and lose the booze.

We packed all our "stuff" (including two sanctioned bottles of wine) on one bag, and nothing but our cloths (oh ya, and those rum runners) in another very large bag. Did this help? Who knows.

For what it's worth, the entire time we were aboard we probably only had 1 or 2 drinks from our "stash". We didn't even cork our sanctioned bottles of wine. We enjoyed the bars and other venues so much that sitting in our room drinking sounded dumb.

Despite having not been caught I doubt we would smuggle again. Unless of course they put a nicely decorated bar filled with fun people and a nice band inside my cabin. Then maybe ;)

For what it's worth, the entire time we were aboard we probably only had 1 or 2 drinks from our "stash". We didn't even cork our sanctioned bottles of wine. We enjoyed the bars and other venues so much that sitting in our room drinking sounded dumb.

Despite having not been caught I doubt we would smuggle again. Unless of course they put a nicely decorated bar filled with fun people and a nice band inside my cabin. Then maybe ;)

This is the point that people who complain about costs of drinks forget. You aren't drinking at home or out on your deck/patio. Part of the drink on the ship is atmosphere, music, company etc. Nothing like a nice drink on deck at one of the bars after a day at port. The cool breezes, hot sun and rest for your weary body....ahhhhhh. That margarita sure tastes better than at home!:D

Does Celebrity allow 2 bottles of wine ONLY on embarcation? If travelling in Italy or France, is it allowed to bring 2 bottles on board from a port?

This would be so nice because the wines one can buy in these countries would be a lot better than the wines offered on the ship. Even with the corkage fee, it wouldn't be much more expensive either.

Does Celebrity allow 2 bottles of wine ONLY on embarcation? If travelling in Italy or France' date=' is it allowed to bring 2 bottles on board from a port?

This would be so nice because the wines one can buy in these countries would be a lot better than the wines offered on the ship. Even with the corkage fee, it wouldn't be much more expensive either.[/quote']

Wine/liquor bought ashore is taken when you get back on the ship and held until the end of the cruise. It cannot be consumed during the cruise.

This is, I believe, standard practice and not exclusive to Celebrity.

We smuggled a couple of liters of liquor in rum runners on Solstice last year and didn't get caught, but that was likely dumb luck. I was fully prepared to get caught and lose the booze.

We packed all our "stuff" (including two sanctioned bottles of wine) on one bag, and nothing but our cloths (oh ya, and those rum runners) in another very large bag. Did this help? Who knows.

I agree 100%. When I fist started cruising I was on a very tight budget and I will admit I did smuggle. I was a single mother and the cost of a vacation was almost prohibitive. Many posters say if you can't afford to cruise stay home, maybe they are right...but I don't regret taking cruises and the cruise companies made plenty of money off of me over the years. I don't judge people that feel they have to smuggle I remember emptying my bank account to go on a cruise with my daughter and coming home to a week of ramen noodles for dinner.

The remarkable thing about smuggling is that the times I did it...I ended up lugging the stuff home. The preparation and nerves about being caught or having the pouch explode in your luggage is not worth the trouble. Also, sitting in the room waiting to see if your bag "made it through" or whether you will have to go to the "naughty room" is a little too much tension for me on a vacation!!

Also, unless you are the type to attach a flask to your laynard.... there is no way to freshen up your drink by the pool or in a lounge without looking insane. So as other posters have said...do you really want to be walking back to your room constantly?

I found sitting in my room alone drinking made no sense. All I wanted to do was get out of the room and go have fun. So smuggling essentially backfired. Celebrity is generous in allowing two bottles of wine to be brought on board and it is nice to be able to have a glass of wine while I'm fixing my hair to go out at night.

I now buy the premium package and I am happy that the days of smuggling, traveling on a shoe string budget and weeks ramen noodles are behind me.....

Wine/liquor bought ashore is taken when you get back on the ship and held until the end of the cruise. It cannot be consumed during the cruise.

We were able to bring wine from every port. We bought it to take home, & were prepared to surrender it (they hold it, & give it back on the last night) but they never asked for it till the last port before the crossing. So I think it's hit & miss, I would imagine they are more careful during spring break & on the one week party type cruises.

We were given a bottle of Lemoncello from our private tour guide after a stop in Sorrento. We had it taken as we boarded which we knew would happen.

We were surprised that when it WAS returned it was late afternoon of the last day. Perfect timing. So we enjoyed sipping farewells with friends before and after dinner on our balconies. Didn't have to waste it as we weren't lugging it home with us. :)

DH did an "experiment" a couple years ago... left the ship in the late afternoon and went back to the port city and bought a bottle of wine. He then came back on the ship. He wasn't stopped. Don't ask me which port, but he did it. Unfortunately... the wine he bought was AWFUL!!!!!

On our just completed Constellation cruise they were extremely diligent about screening oncoming luggage - much more so than on any other cruise we've taken before. I talked to quite a few people who had liquor or other "do not pack" items in their suitcases and who had to report to the naughty room and surrender their items. To make matters worse they were destroying all liquor brought on board at embarkation. In fact I don't know of anyone who brought on liquor at embarkation and did not have detected - a very unusual situation.

We bought two bottles of rum (one each at two different ports) at port stops on our cruise. They were small bottles and we expected to surrender them for return at the end of the trip and no one said anything about them when we passed through security on our way back onto the ship. Go figure.

Forgive me if this has been addressed before, as I know there are numerous posts on this subject, but is there a problem if we want to put our 2 bottles of wine that we are allowed to bring on board in our checked bags rather than our carry ons? ...

There is no issue with this but a small chance of being called to the naughty room to retrieve the luggage if they can't tell if it is wine or booze when they scan it.

Does Celebrity allow 2 bottles of wine ONLY on embarcation? If travelling in Italy or France' date=' is it allowed to bring 2 bottles on board from a port?

This would be so nice because the wines one can buy in these countries would be a lot better than the wines offered on the ship. Even with the corkage fee, it wouldn't be much more expensive either.[/quote']

Our experiance in Europe cruises is that they are very inconsistent on this. We've bought some small amounts of wine on board with the intention of taking them home and possibly enjoying them on board if they passed through. We've not had an issue but on the same days we've passed through with a bottle of wine others have had it held. You are always better off bringing your two bottles on board at the initial port of embarkation if your intention is to have it on board.

Does anyone know if Diet Tonic water is available onboard? I do have a favorite because some of it doesn't taste good at all!

No they do not. There is no limit on bringing on non-alcoholic beverages. It is not uncommon to see some people checking an entire case of soda or bottled water with the porters along with their luggage.

While Celebrity's official policy is embarkation only, in practice they sometimes do not enforce this policy in Europe. On my two cruises in Europe (one on Century, one on Equinox) they very rarely had anybody set up taking alcohol from people returning from port. I think only in one port on one of these cruises did I see them take alcohol from anybody. It was not that people were trying to smuggle or sneak alcohol on - people were putting alcohol in clear view into the scanner and there was just nobody from Celebrity taking it or any tables set up for them to take it, label it etc. In one port I purchased some wine to bring home with me to consume on a special occasion and after it went through the scanner I held it up looking at security staff to see who I should give it to and was completely ignored.

In the Caribbean they tend to enforce this more often, especially on shorter cruises and double especially during spring break time.

I really disagree with the thread/thought that this is like shop lifting. I have not been to a hotel that has a rule against a guest having beer or a bottle of something in their room. They may not like it much if you bring it into their bar and may say something, but for comsumption in your room (on land or at sea) who cares.

This is all about making money and this is why they are letting the food quality slip in the main dining room and the buffet, so that you will spend to eat in the other restaurants. Cruises didn't used to need to have other (pay) venues because they put their effort into the food they served everyone.

On NCL they allow you to bring on as many bottles of wine you want, but they will charge you a 15.00 corkage fee for each bottle you bring even before you get to your cabin.

We have in the past carried 2 bottles of wine each onto the ship and had some in our suitcases. Never had them taken away from us. On the other hand, my parents were traveling with us, and my mom packed some water bottles in their suitcase and they have to go to the naughty room for their bags even though it was only water! My dad was not happy and especially since our bags went through with no problems!

We purchased the premium beverage package for our upcoming cruise! No more packing wine! WooHoo! We will probably carry on two bottles when we board in Spain.

We love cruising Regents for the fact that all the drinks, excursions and gratuities are included, but their cruises are so much more expensive! And if I want to cruise more than once a year, Regents is not the line for me! Could not afford that! But a nice treat once in a while! I was very happy to see this beverage package with Celebrity!

I believe it is a hit or miss...

We were on the 3/26 cruise with Larry S and yes, they took every bottle. In fact, I had to go to the naughty room to get our suitcase because it had prescription saline solution for my DH in it and they couldn't recognize what it was. BTW folks, I was told that they knew it wasn't alcohol because the alcohol shows up BLUE on their updated scanner. So, buyer beware.

They had confiscated huge amounts of liquor, had it lined up and they destroyed it all.

As Lucy said, we also had the premium alcohol package and it worked out great. We also got our monies worth and did not drink in excess. We had the opportunity to try all the specialty coffees and many different wines at dinner.

So, againk beware. They are being very diligent about the alcohol on embarkation day.

Pat C

We plan on buying the premium package so all our drinks will have been prepaid So I don't consider it stealing if I buy a bottle of Baileys and take on board to enjoy in the room. Don't understand the logic since they loose any money.

We plan on buying the premium package so all our drinks will have been prepaid So I don't consider it stealing if I buy a bottle of Baileys and take on board to enjoy in the room. Don't understand the logic since they loose any money.

Why on earth would you want to take a bottle of Baileys if you have the premium package? That seems wasteful. Just go get yourself a free, fresh drink onboard!

When I was on a Med cruise on the Millienmum in 2007 I smuggled a decent sized bottle of Islay scotch aboard. So I guess it really depends on who is doing the security screening on a given day.

Archived