Cruise credits now that we have 7 day cruises

Senior Citizen

Do you think that Oceania should change the way they calculate their cruise credits? Before they offered 7 day cruises, one cruise credit was given for a cruise up to, and including, 24 days (that was a 14 day spread, now it is a 17 day spread). Then, 25 days to 34 days (a 9 day spread) gave you 2 credits and 35+ days gave you 3 credits.

Since a number of people on these boards and on the ships have said they like Holland America, I was looking at their itineraries. I also looked at their club and they calculate your "level" based on the number of nights that you are on their ships. Royal Caribbean also changed to this method recently.

In Royal Caribbean's case, I was told it was due to people taking their 3 and 4 day cruises and getting one cruise credit for each cruise. By the time they took 10 3-day cruises, they had made it to the Diamond Level and they were admitted to the special lounge and had complimentary cocktail hour, etc. Royal Caribbean's special lounges were getting packed!

I have always felt the loyalty program should be calculated by the number of nights, not the number of cruises. This is one of the big differences between Oceania and sister line Regent, which does count nights.

Back before they began crediting cruises of more than 24 days with two credits, we received only 1 credit for our 26 day Amazon cruise. We just achieved 5 cruises, although we have 91 nights aboard. This is the equivalent of 9 each of 10 day cruises, and 13 7 day cruises!

The problem is, of course, that it would require major effort to change the system. Everyone's past cruises would have to be examined to calculate the number of nights, and it would take the Wisdom of Solomon to recalculate the plateaus to move to the next level.

I have a suspicion that they're taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" position in this case. I doubt they get enough complaints to consider a change. Oceania folks don't seem to jump at every opportunity to complain about things.

I have always felt the loyalty program should be calculated by the number of nights, not the number of cruises. This is one of the big differences between Oceania and sister line Regent, which does count nights.

Back before they began crediting cruises of more than 24 days with two credits, we received only 1 credit for our 26 day Amazon cruise. We just achieved 5 cruises, although we have 91 nights aboard. This is the equivalent of 9 each of 10 day cruises, and 13 7 day cruises.

I have a suspicion that they're taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" position in this case. I doubt they get enough complaints to consider a change. Oceania folks don't seem to jump at every opportunity to complain about things.

We have the same problem since we only take long b/b or Grand Cruises in the good old days when Oceania had them. It has taken us forever to get to 10. :(

B/B have always counted as two cruise credits because they are booked as two cruises. Way back when, we also did a 25 day cruise and received one cruise credit.

I guess you're right, Don, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." In Royal Caribbean's case, it was definitely broken and they had to go back into their files and convert everyone over to days. Giving someone one cruise credit for a 3-day $229 cruise and someone else one cruise credit for a longer, more expensive cruise just didn't work.

I wonder how Holland America does it? They have some looooong cruises.

HAL computes Mariner Status (1 star, 2 star, etc.) by days on board, with double credit for everyday spent in a suite! A one week cruise in a suite = 14 days, etc.

P.S. forgot to add - you can also get credits based on your ship board account. I think you get another "day" for every $300 spent per day.

You do get an extra day on HAL for each $300 in onboard spending. Celebrity gives you points for each cruise(1), an extra point if your cruise is 14 days or longer and an additional point if you are in a concierge or above cabin.

Archived