Navigator pulled from Europe and I'm not happy

:mad: Yep......just got the call that my Feb 2012 Navigator Med cruise out of Barcelona has been cancelled....apparently they are moving the ship to the Carribean.......and I'm stuck with $4100 in non refundable airfare......no reason as of yet except to say that if I transfer my airfare to another RCCL cruise they will give me a $200 credit....yeah, like I'm happy enough with RCCL to book another cruise with them.

Do you have insurance?

Have you called your credit card company that you used to pay for the airfare? I had a chat with mine a few years ago about what to do if a cruise was cancelled, and they said if I purchased anything with their card and the goods were not delivered, then I would have a claim with them (the credit card company). I'd call and discuss this with them. The cruise isn't being delivered, but the air is dependent on those cruise dates.

Unless the flights don't happen, they wouldn't have a claim on the credit card. They bought flights and the airline has a right to be paid for the service they deliver. Just because the reason for taking the flights has changed doesn't come into play in this, unfortunately.

True, but once you leave the last port on the east, it takes 6 days to get to the first port on the west. That is unless there are drunks at the helm:D

The QM2 (an ocean liner built for speed) sails about 7 knots faster than a cruise ship. Also, it does Southampton to New York in 6 days, I'm sure it takes a day longer to Florida. And even if it does that in 6, it's still a much faster ship.

The QM2 (an ocean liner built for speed) sails about 7 knots faster than a cruise ship. Also, it does Southampton to New York in 6 days, I'm sure it takes a day longer to Florida. And even if it does that in 6, it's still a much faster ship.

From what I understand, the QM2 can actually cross the pond in 5 days, but they don't sail at a consistently high speed on purpose.

I do if I'm trying to use miles for the flight or for an upgrade.

Yes, using miles we book when they come out too. Only so many seats can be released sometimes for certain categories, so we book early.

I am just here to say "ditto" on all of the comments you guys have made. We were soooo disappointed when we learned that the December 10, 2011 Navigator sailing for Med/Egypt was changed to the Caribbean. I agree that this could have been handled much better by RCI. I just happened to be on their website checking for price changes as I do periodically and noticed the sailing was gone. Then I logged in and saw that my reservation number had disappeared. My heart sank. When I called Customer Service, the rep told me, "No your reservation is fine--sailing on the Navigator Dec. 10 on the 8 DAY CARIBBEAN". I said, "Um, no, it's supposed to be a 14-day Med/Egypt!!!" Bad enough that they don't give their customers a "Head's up" on what happening, but even worse that they don't inform their OWN STAFF so that they can be prepared for the influx of phone calls they they (of course) will be receiving!! GRRRR. :mad: So I tried to remain calm and called Crown and Anchor to see what they had to say, and the representative (again) was stuttering and unsure what was going on. He asked if he could place me on hold while he contacted the "Redeployment Dept". I was in the middle of a conversation with my family and just sat on hold without paying much attention. After what seemed like a long time, I looked at the timer on my cell phone and noticed I had been on hold for 27 MINUTES!!!!! He just put me on hold and left me there. Very poor customer service, and I am pretty laid back when it comes to these things, but this is infuriating! We have been "Loyal to Royal" since our first sailing with them several years ago, but I am sincerely rethinking where our loyalties should lie now. I know they have the right to change itineraries as they see fit, but let people know (at the very least the Royal Customer Staff) for goodness sake!

From what I understand, the QM2 can actually cross the pond in 5 days, but they don't sail at a consistently high speed on purpose.

They probably can't sell their cruises for the higher daily rate to compensate for the higher fuel used to make the crossing in 5 days. Also, they might not actually be able to make it a full 24 hours earlier, so there isn't any point in shaving 15 or whatever number of hours off the crossing. Getting in to port at 3pm one day instead of 7am the next day doesn't really do them much good for example. There are lots of cruise ships that can shave a few hours off of times between ports, but the arrival times aren't of any benefit so why burn the fuel?

WOW, I am so glad I am on cruise critic regularly. We were thinking of booking one of these cruises as we thoroughly enjoyed our January 18 nighter on Independence, with the Navigator we thought we would at least get to the warmer weather quicker.

I feel for all those who have booked independently. bummer

We were on the Navigator March 17th Med Cruise - received the CALL and was told that we had till April 26th to change our reservation or it would be cancelled and our deposit refunded.

So we took advantage of the price protection and looked into another MED cruise and found the IOS cruise in June and we were lucky to get two AFT cabins 14 Med cruise for a protected price so saved some money and they even gave us OBC to spend for our inconvenience.

If given LEMONS make lemonade.

Hope everyone else can get as good a deal.

Good lucky.

I'm surprised many people are interested in going to Egypt right now. With the unrest in the middle east I was wondering what the cruise lines were going to do. I am surprised OP didn't anticipated something like this. There is also unrest in Greece. Can Turkey be far behind. I don't blame the cruise line at all. I do wish they had slightly better compensation for people who can prove they already purchased their plane tickets.

They probably can't sell their cruises for the higher daily rate to compensate for the higher fuel used to make the crossing in 5 days. Also, they might not actually be able to make it a full 24 hours earlier, so there isn't any point in shaving 15 or whatever number of hours off the crossing. Getting in to port at 3pm one day instead of 7am the next day doesn't really do them much good for example. There are lots of cruise ships that can shave a few hours off of times between ports, but the arrival times aren't of any benefit so why burn the fuel?

Oh yes, I understand why they don't, just that they could. Actually Cunard is slowing her down even more to stretch crossings to the more traditional 7 day cruise timeframe, believe it or not.

Also, I feel awful for those this change affected, but it shows Europe/Med isn't the win-all so many on this board were proclaiming just a few months ago... this is only the beginning symptom of what will be an over-saturated market and the 'American' cruise lines will pull their ships back home, as always. This happens every few years, does it not?

I have just found out this evening that our March 17th cruise is cancelled.

Did the TA call? NO

Did RCCL call? NO

I found out by chance by reading these boards. Now we are frantically trying to decide what to do for my big birthday which would have been on a sea day during the cruise.

Thank the Lord that the flights are not booked. We looked for them this morning but it is not quite 331 days till the return.

Air insurance through the cruise line or the airline? Because I thought it did cover such an event.

It's really a ridiculous situation. :mad: to say the least.

Even worse for the thousands of people who were displaced after the fire on -i think it was carnival splendor-

Most third-party insurers will cover the cancellation of a cruise (and the airfare) under some circumstances. For example, this is from a CSA plan:

"2. arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, motor

coach company, or tour operator, resulting from inclement

weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship

or boat or motor coach on which the Insured is scheduled

to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public

transportation."

So anyone that had their Splendor sailing canceled would be able to file a claim for their airfare (Carnival refunded the cruise fare) because the cause of the cancellation was a mechanical breakdown. However, short of buying a Cancel For Any Reason policy, I don't know of any that would pay the claim because the cruise line was revamping its itineraries.

The last sailing currently showing on RCCL website for the Med with prices is 7 nights - Oct 30th 2011.

I have heard that the TA may be on the 6th Nov to FLL....but waiting for confirmation on this.

That TA sounds good to me. We love Navigator. I'm sorry for the folks who have lost air fare over the Med. cancellations, but the new schedule may be quite attractive for us. I'm going to check into these new sailings.

That TA sounds good to me. We love Navigator. I'm sorry for the folks who have lost air fare over the Med. cancellations, but the new schedule may be quite attractive for us. I'm going to check into these new sailings.

The TA 6th Nov 2011 opened for booking today...I am booked on it :D

Royal Caribbean International will redeploy Navigator of the Seas to the Caribbean for the 2011-12 winter cruise season. The ship will now reposition to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and sail a variety of five- to nine-night Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries beginning on Nov. 20. Sailings for Navigator of the Seas’ winter 2011-12 cruises are currently available for booking.

Prior to its redeployment, Navigator of the Seas will also offer a 14-night, trans-Atlantic itinerary from Rome, Italy, to Port Everglades, departing on Nov. 6. It will also sail a 15-night return cruise to Rome on April 14, 2012.

For the upcoming winter season, Navigator of the Seas will alternate between a six-night Western Caribbean and an eight-night Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Ports of call on the six-night sailings include Grand Cayman, the newly opened Historic Falmouth Port and Labadee, Royal Caribbean’s private beach destination located on the north coast of Haiti. The eight-night sailing features calls at St. Maarten; St. Kitts; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Labadee.

On Jan. 8 and 22, 2012, the ship will sail a seven-night Eastern Caribbean itinerary that excludes a call at St. Kitts from the eight-night itinerary. On Jan. 15, it will offer a seven-night Western Caribbean itinerary that adds a call to the regular six-night itinerary with a stop in Cozumel, Mexico. A special nine-night New Year’s cruise, departing on Dec. 30, will feature an additional a call at St. Thomas to the traditional eight-night Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Navigator of the Seas joins its sister ships, Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas, at Port Everglades to offer regular sailings to the Caribbean.

Staring when? I might switch a Freedom of the Seas cruise to that one if the timing is right.

and there is a 9 nighter(March)....does the same and St Thomas..........:) Im holding a cabin while I think about it

Lots of good cabins available on the 30Dec 9 Night New Years, and the price is really right for a 9 night holiday cruise. I just switched off of a _5_ night 29Dec on Liberty - did drop from Freedom to Voyager class, but got 9 nights for only 150/person more - I'll take it! Also got one of the two Deck 10 JS Afts - the other one is still available!

RAE

Lots of good cabins available on the 30Dec 9 Night New Years, and the price is really right for a 9 night holiday cruise. I just switched off of a _5_ night 29Dec on Liberty - did drop from Freedom to Voyager class, but got 9 nights for only 150/person more - I'll take it! Also got one of the two Deck 10 JS Afts - the other one is still available!

RAE

We'll be neighbors ...between my friend and I, we have the corner aft cabins on deck 10! (check out the roll call) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1400416

I am so sorry for all of you who have been planning your Med cruise and have had your airfare booked. I know we book big vacations like this way in advance, book our private tours....how very disappointing. I certainly hope that somehow you can get airfare help.....I know we have booked our own airfare and I would have been devastated had this happened to us.

Archived