Navigator pulled from Europe and I'm not happy

:mad: Yep......just got the call that my Feb 2012 Navigator Med cruise out of Barcelona has been cancelled....apparently they are moving the ship to the Carribean.......and I'm stuck with $4100 in non refundable airfare......no reason as of yet except to say that if I transfer my airfare to another RCCL cruise they will give me a $200 credit....yeah, like I'm happy enough with RCCL to book another cruise with them.

Have you looked to see what other possible cruises there are on other cruiselines. Id be more than upset if that happened to me.

I know the market is weak. My friend got a HAL offer which had $100 airfare from NYC to induce them to book a Med cruise.

The RCI website is showing it doing Med cruises in both May and June 2012. If they are moving the ship it sure would be nice if they shut down that part of the website.

Maybe they will be nice and put it in San Juan doing the southern route!

Hi,

I am guessing that they are only canceling the Navigator's winter sailings in Europe. The Navigator probably will spend the winter in the Caribbean and return to Europe in the spring.

I don't blame you for being angry about the airfare.

Chuck

According to their website the Navigator will be in Europe in January, Florida in February and Europe in March. The websites awful. I wonder how many cruises this will affect.

The part I get a kick out of is the website shows it docking in Barcelona on 2/4, then departing from Ft Lauderdale the same day. That's gotta be one heck of a TA cruise:D

The part I get a kick out of is the website shows it docking in Barcelona on 2/4, then departing from Ft Lauderdale the same day. That's gotta be one heck of a TA cruise:D

Itll make the women who sued Carnival for the ship going too fast not look so bad :p

We have sailed NOS for 2 years in Dec and were quite surprised to see they were moving her to Europe all winter- that's why we booked Oasis( and we were ready for Southern)

What I can't understand is why all we heard was "Europe will be strong" and now everyone is bailing out! Disney just brought ship(s) back. Does anyone have any insight into what changed? Maybe it's related to fuel prices- they are so high in Europe( everywhere really!). Maybe the unrest in N Africa and the ME has Americans staying closer to home than anticipated?

Seems like they are all very unsettled this year, not great for their passengers like the OP!

:mad: Yep......just got the call that my Feb 2012 Navigator Med cruise out of Barcelona has been cancelled....apparently they are moving the ship to the Carribean.......and I'm stuck with $4100 in non refundable airfare......no reason as of yet except to say that if I transfer my airfare to another RCCL cruise they will give me a $200 credit....yeah, like I'm happy enough with RCCL to book another cruise with them.

Suprised that air fare was even available this far out, did you have travel insurance, that should refund the air charges

All cruises from November ON, are showing as N/A :p ... WAO !! Can they just cancel all those cruises and move the ship back to the caribbean ???

They did it with Mariner when they moved her from the west coast, so yes they can

All cruises from November ON, are showing as N/A :p ... WAO !! Can they just cancel all those cruises and move the ship back to the caribbean ???

So that means that she will de doing a transatlantic back to Miami/Fort Lauderdale!

Suprised that air fare was even available this far out, did you have travel insurance, that should refund the air charges

That's the kicker - I just booked on saturday....and yes, I did get air insurance, but it covers just about everything except "too bad, they cancelled your cruise"

Could this just be a glitch? My DS & DIL are booked in mid October on Navigator. Now I wonder if this will affect their cruise too.

Have you looked to see what other possible cruises there are on other cruiselines. Id be more than upset if that happened to me.

I know the market is weak. My friend got a HAL offer which had $100 airfare from NYC to induce them to book a Med cruise.

MSC and Costa, both have sailings out of barcelona in feb , which can help if you want to stay in the med, I'm sure that you could get them to cover your hotel stay for the 3-4 days that a potential shift might bring.

Also Call the airline - Find out exactly what it will cost to change the flight to where another RC cruise is..... Once you have that information give that to RC and Tell them what it will cost to rebook with them and they will compensate you for it. Usually Non-refundable fares are just that, they will allow you to make changes and charge you a hefty penalty.

-Not an Ideal solution, but if you give the cruise line a reason to offer more than your contract requires them to do. i.e. book a new sailing with them.... they should be more than happy to bend over to help you more than what they have said so far.

On an aside note--- if you did Choice Air w/ the cruiseline they will help get that taken care w/ little more than a phone call. It is no longer the rip that it used to be.

I hope this helps.

But on the flip-side, I like the new 8 night sailing on NOTS in March

Sorry to hear about this cancellation. Would make me sick.

I just went to the website and this is crazy...a 10 hour (approx)

Trans Atlantic on the 31st? Time travel for Voyager class ships?

Here is a screen grab:

10HourTA.png

It looks like all this repositioning is happening so fast right now. we will see what it looks like in the morning.

Yeah, also Carnival is pulling out of galveston or mobile.. One of those gulf ports. So I'm sure we will be hearing more of this happening.

That's the kicker - I just booked on saturday....and yes, I did get air insurance, but it covers just about everything except "too bad, they cancelled your cruise"

Air insurance through the cruise line or the airline? Because I thought it did cover such an event.

It's really a ridiculous situation. :mad: to say the least.

Even worse for the thousands of people who were displaced after the fire on -i think it was carnival splendor-

But once all these ships come back to the US the Caribbean fares will be so low due to over-saturation of the market.

MSC and Costa, both have sailings out of barcelona in feb , which can help if you want to stay in the med, I'm sure that you could get them to cover your hotel stay for the 3-4 days that a potential shift might bring.

Also Call the airline - Find out exactly what it will cost to change the flight to where another RC cruise is..... Once you have that information give that to RC and Tell them what it will cost to rebook with them and they will compensate you for it. Usually Non-refundable fares are just that, they will allow you to make changes and charge you a hefty penalty.

-Not an Ideal solution, but if you give the cruise line a reason to offer more than your contract requires them to do. i.e. book a new sailing with them.... they should be more than happy to bend over to help you more than what they have said so far.

On an aside note--- if you did Choice Air w/ the cruiseline they will help get that taken care w/ little more than a phone call. It is no longer the rip that it used to be.

I hope this helps.

But on the flip-side, I like the new 8 night sailing on NOTS in March

Soloist....thank you - all good suggestions, but they've all been already explored. The 7 day Costa's don't go where we wanted to go - Athens, Turkey and Eygpt - we've been to the other places offered by Costa/MSC. There is a 10 day Norweigan out of Rome on the 28th that does those ports - so we might try that....but like you said, the rebooking fees (for 4 people) are outragous......

I have air insurance and if my TA can get RCI to write a letter to say that they cancelled due to the civil unrest in Mid East, they might buy that....but he didn't sound too confident that RCI would do that for the obvious reasons. The airlines and cruise interanies are two separate businesses.....the position of the airlines is not responsible for what cruise lines do.....if I get sick, have an accident, get sobpoenaed, or for just about any other reason I can't fly....they will cover it. But this excuse is at the other end of the flight, so it doesn't prohibit me/family from flying. Like I said, civil unrest is an excuse, but it's not in where our designation is, ie Barcelona......it's in Egypt/Libya - 1000 miles away!......but TA thinks it might work so we'll see.

I'm very disappointed with how RCI handled this and I'm usually pretty flexibable.....their position was very business and not customer friendly - kinda like you shouldn't have booked air so far out!....not much we can do as YOU booked the airfare......so I'm really not in the mood to rebook with them. Kinda sad as we were looking forward to sailing on this ship.

Who knows...we might just do a 15 day road trip adventure around Spain!!!! it's either that or eat the airfare! I guess we'll see what happens....like they say - Lemonade from lemons...............

Here's the latest screen shot....

Looks like a TA in November and then the Caribbean, no prices yet so it must still in flux.

Hi Bill

Yes but looking at that info....it has the NV back in Barcelona on 26th Nov and then sailing from FLL that same day :confused:

I also found that on the RCCL website they have the NV & LB and OA all sailing from FLL on the 26th Nov etc :eek: Oh yea including the 24th Dec ...wow can you imagine alllll those people at FLL going on their Christmas cruises.

If she leaves on the 6th of Nov she will most probably reach Port Everglades on the 20th(14 nights is what most ship take to do a TA), do a 6 night Western Caribbean on Sunday and will be back on Saturday the 26th for her 8 night Easter Caribbean.

Archived