MDR dress code for children

My family of 6 will be sailing on Oasis on 4/30. I am wondering if it would be frowned upon if my 10 year old son would wear shorts in the MDR on the nights that arent considered to be formal. We generally try to follow the ships guidelines for dinner dress but I was hoping to avoid running him back to the room to change before he goes to Adventure Ocean each night after dinner.

My family of 6 will be sailing on Oasis on 4/30. I am wondering if it would be frowned upon if my 10 year old son would wear shorts in the MDR on the nights that arent considered to be formal. We generally try to follow the ships guidelines for dinner dress but I was hoping to avoid running him back to the room to change before he goes to Adventure Ocean each night after dinner.

Different people feel strongly about this to different degrees. It is my experience that many people obey the dress code to the letter, while many others don't seem to know about it. You will likely find a wide range of dress in the MDR, especially amongst children for reasons you indicate. Our family always dresses because we feel most comfortable following the guidelines. However, I have seen tank tops and jeans at dinner in the MDR. I don't worry about that so much, but some people feel very strongly.

:cool:Since the cruise line requests that no shorts be worn in the MDR for dinner, why not explain to your son that he has to get dressed up for dinner as there are times in life when this is expected. Set an example for him, give him a lesson early in his life, then let him change right after dinner.:cool:

The published policy is that shorts are not permitted in the dining room for dinner and it is requested that parents have their children follow the same guidelines as adults. That is the policy.

However, it is extremely unlikely that he will be prevented from entering the dining room wearing shorts. So it really becomes a parenting issue and what you are comfortable with.

Realize that he will walk past a sign that states shorts are not permitted. It may or may not make him uncomfortable. It would have made 2 of my 3 kids uncomfortable. The third would not have been bothered in the least.

Obviously you are aware the suggested evening dress guidelines apply to a 10 year old as well. Sounds like a personal problem trying to avoid running him back to your cabin to change.

Obviously you are aware the suggested evening dress guidelines apply to a 10 year old as well. Sounds like a personal problem trying to avoid running him back to your cabin to change.

Not sure why you feel that I am "obviously aware" . :(Seems like it would be a useless question to ask if i was obviously aware of anything. Clearly it was a "personal problem" of wanting to be lazy and not have to pop out of dinner each night to run my son back to the room before deliverying him to Adventure Ocean for the evening festivities.

That's why I pointed that out in my OP. :rolleyes:

I respect the ships guidelines and will follow them. If that is what the ship requests, that is what we will do. Rather than taking the time to search the RCL website and locate the MDR dresscode, I figured I would save myself some time and ask on here instead. Could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of the guidelines and policies so as I don't make the mistake to ask such a question again? Thanks

Why don't you just bring a pair of shorts with you to dinner. After he's finished eating , he could just run into the men's room near the dining room to change while you wait outside to collect his long pants. Couldn't take more than 5 minutes or so and he's ready to go to AO and you can go on with your evening with minimal disruption.:)

Why don't you just bring a pair of shorts with you to dinner. After he's finished eating , he could just run into the men's room near the dining room to change while you wait outside to collect his long pants. Couldn't take more than 5 minutes or so and he's ready to go to AO and you can go on with your evening with minimal disruption.:)

That's a great suggestion! Thanks for your thoughts!

Shorts will be fine - don't worry.

:cool:I love the way these threads go. Usually ok, then you get the first person who says "forget what the rules say, don't worry, it's your cruise, do what ever you want". Go naked, smuggle your own booze, carry food ashore, go for what ever you desire". The original poster, saying that she knows that it is frowned upon, wants to know if she can have her son wear short in the MDR at dinner. Then, THE ONE, and there is always ONE who says--Do what you want. LOVE IT. :cool:

I would have a different approach: Don't go to the MDR. Not because of the dress code, but because the food is terrible! Why stress out about dressing up for other people in the MDR when you can go to the WJ, have a better meal in way less time and go enjoy the fun stuff that you are probably missing by going to the MDR. IMHO.

I would have a different approach: Don't go to the MDR. Not because of the dress code, but because the food is terrible! Why stress out about dressing up for other people in the MDR when you can go to the WJ, have a better meal in way less time and go enjoy the fun stuff that you are probably missing by going to the MDR. IMHO.

:cool:That suggestion has more merit each and every cruise. Seems like you may be right--LOL:cool:

Could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of the guidelines and policies so as I don't make the mistake to ask such a question again? Thanks

That's a great suggestion! Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey, don't worry about some peoples' responses! As you can see, there are posters here who will give you great suggestions and ideas. The whole point of this board is to share our love of cruising and help others with any questions they may have. There's so much we can learn from other CC members.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dress in the MDR is a much bigger issue here on these boards than it is on any ship I have ever been on. You/he will not be turned away wearing shorts.

:cool:I just point out shorts in MDR at dinner time to my head waiter and then save $20.00 each cruise when I tell him that he is not doing his job:cool:

:cool:I just point out shorts in MDR at dinner time to my head waiter and then save $20.00 each cruise when I tell him that he is not doing his job:cool:

Your choice but.....how many less tips would he/she get by turning all those folks away? The numbers favor letting them in. Just saying.

We will be on the same cruise! Traveling with our 9 year old and 10 month old. We did buy the older one 2 pairs of dress clothes but not really that formal. We are not dressing up the baby though and I'm sure they wouldn't expect us to.

2 weeks!!!!

The ever present question, why do YOU care what someone else is wearing?

The ever present question, why do YOU care what someone else is wearing?

:cool:Because I'm old fashioned and believe that a Formal Night in the MDR should be something special, and if RCCL states "NO SHORTS IN MDR FOR DINNER", I believe that that is the way it should be. If everyone showed up in shorts, t-shirts, tanktops, sandlals, it would not be quite as special:cool:

:cool:Because I'm old fashioned and believe that a Formal Night in the MDR should be something special, and if RCCL states "NO SHORTS IN MDR FOR DINNER", I believe that that is the way it should be. If everyone showed up in shorts, t-shirts, tanktops, sandlals, it would not be quite as special:cool:

If every one did that, we'd be on carnival.

Is that what you saw on your last Carnival cruise? Rather doubtful. My guess....Another completely uneducated statement.

:cool:Not my statement, but on my one and only CCL cruise, I literally was the only one in a tux. Did not see anyone else in one. One young lady actually complimented me on my appearance:cool:

Archived