Sunshine Skyway Bridge Tampa/View from balcony?

luvtovaca

We've sailed out of Tampa before and gotten the view of the whale's tail as we passed under the bridge. Amazing!! I'm sure it won't be the same, but will we get a good view from our forward extended balcony? Or should we head on up on deck for the full effect? It's our first balcony and we may not want to leave it!!

Always on top...You can apply my meaning to the ship or why you might want to be on the balcony...

Oh baby...Oh baby...ooooooo baby....Oh my God baby...Isn't that a beautiful veiw of the bridge...

I just had to do that...

Greetings,

We're on the Legend 9/18/2011. Does anyone know the approximate time we sail under the bridge? We don't want to be in the dining room during the 'pass under'.

Thanks!

Maple Hts

Here's a couple more. We were on the Legend last week.

http://img42.imageshack.us/i/024ta.jpg/

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/033bxs.jpg/

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/032bg.jpg/

http://img689.imageshack.us/i/030ol.jpg/

http://impg163.imageshack.us/i/026ow.jpg/

Just stand in one spot and keep taking pictures. Looks cool on slideshow.

We've sailed out of Tampa before and gotten the view of the whale's tail as we passed under the bridge. Amazing!! I'm sure it won't be the same, but will we get a good view from our forward extended balcony? Or should we head on up on deck for the full effect? It's our first balcony and we may not want to leave it!!

We had an extended (JS) aft balcony on Radiance OTS in February, but I still ran outside for pictures when we got to the skyway. I like to head up to the highest forward deck, thats where you get the best shots. Plus you'll get cool pictures and a story to tell if she scrapes. :eek::D

as others have posted outside up high is the best view.

Im often boating/ fishing in that area, been under the skway many many times.. it still freaks me how close it comes to the underside of the bridge..

a great view

My son does not like it as it brings a chore to his mind... throwing a 10ft net for bait unther the skyway :D

as others have posted outside up high is the best view.

Im often boating/ fishing in that area, been under the skway many many times.. it still freaks me how close it comes to the underside of the bridge..

a great view

My son does not like it as it brings a chore to his mind... throwing a 10ft net for bait unther the skyway :D

Hahhahahha!

I love this bridge - going over or under - and living in the area we do both often! :D

THose are awesome pictures!!! My husband now cant wait to take some pictures. We leave in 63 days.....whos counting!! We live on ten minutes east of Annapolis and love when we see ships sailing under the Bay Bridge.....they look so close to the top!

Happy Friday!

Sandi

Tampa is our home, and we've been on the Sensation, Jubilee (now retired), Miracle, Legend, and Inspiration all out of Tampa and some more than once, the best view is as high on the front of the ship as possible. You see yourself going under then turn around and watch the tail come under. Great photo ops and almost a mini excursion all in itself. As for what time, generally takes 2 hours to cruise through Tampa Bay. You leave at 4 (generally) and can arrive at the skyway around 6PM. FYI, The captain does not drive the ship through the bay and under the bridge, that is done by a harbor pilot. Once under the bridge, you can sometimes watch the harbor pilot boat, come up beside the ship and transfer the pilot from the ship to the pilot boat...we have watched the exchange from our balcony. Last Jan. on our sailing on the Legend, the seas were really rough and it took the pilot boat about 45 minutes to do the exchange. It was scary to watch as the pilot boat kept bumping into the ship and them bouncing back....that night it was a dangerous exchange. In 1979 a tanker coming into Tampa bay under the skyway bridge, hit the bridge piling and the old skyway colappsed. Many people lost their lives. After that accident, the port authority changed they way ships come and go under the bridge, thus a harbor pilot now takes control.

I love the chicken tenders that first night-- their honey mustard is the best I ever in my life tasted.

After dinner I did check out the buffet- and the tenders they had there were all dried out-- and no honey mustard.

I guess I can give up seeing the bridge--lol

Archived