pre-booking private excursions on carnival legend

tostadas

i will be sailing legend (cozumel, belize, roatan, grand cayman) in about a month for the first time. I am considering doing some various excursions with private companies, like .com cave tubing in belize and zip lining in roatan. I am reluctant to pre-book with these companies because plans are likely to change during the trip and we may decide we dont want to go on those excursions.

Do these companies have a booth or something similar at the port where we can sign up for the excursion on the day of?

I want to have the opportunity to take part in these fun activities, but i dont want to force other people to waste time waiting for me if i dont go.

Iv never heard of people considering standing up their private excursions. (or even mentioning the possibility). I hope you dont go that way, as it would ruin it for others if the private excursions quit trusting people to show up. I bet it does happen, though Iv never read it on here.

I waited until I got to the port many times and just hired a private taxi to take me around the island. Twice in Roatan, though I have also used private excursions.

i will be sailing legend (cozumel, belize, roatan, grand cayman) in about a month for the first time. I am considering doing some various excursions with private companies, like .com cave tubing in belize and zip lining in roatan. I am reluctant to pre-book with these companies because plans are likely to change during the trip and we may decide we dont want to go on those excursions.

Do these companies have a booth or something similar at the port where we can sign up for the excursion on the day of?

I want to have the opportunity to take part in these fun activities, but i dont want to force other people to waste time waiting for me if i dont go.

If you are not sure you want to do the tours you would prebook than please do not book them. You can find private taxis at most ports but have no idea as to how good or bad they would be. Have had some disappointments.

We tend to prebook and follow thru on them.

We just booked .com for cave tubing and they sent us our reservations stating that if we wanted to invite others to feel free to do so. So, I think they would take you same day if you wanted to go. I just wouldn't book with them because it's their living and they count on it.

Just go to the different ones and ask if there is room - your best bet if you don't want to commit.

We are doing this same ship/itinerary on May 22... we are using .com for cave tubing and Victor Bodden for Rotan (zipline/island tour).

Have fun!! :p

Iv never heard of people considering standing up their private excursions. (or even mentioning the possibility). I hope you dont go that way, as it would ruin it for others if the private excursions quit trusting people to show up. I bet it does happen, though Iv never read it on here.

I waited until I got to the port many times and just hired a private taxi to take me around the island. Twice in Roatan, though I have also used private excursions.

No where does the OP suggest "standing up" a private excursion. In fact, the OP is asking if the companies have booths to book after they arrive just to avoid standing up the vendor.

OP you will find vendors at the ports in Grand Cayman, Belize, and Cozumel. Roatan is controlled by Carnival and they do not allow the private vendors on the property except at a booth in one of the buildings. They pay Carnival to be therre so you really don't get a good deal.

It is very easy to get private excursion at all of the ports except Roatan after you arrive. With Roatan I would plan ahead.

I am on the Legend on May 1st. I have pre-booked a fishing trip and a snorkling cataramaran trip through Carnival. I have read several other peoples post in which they say that some of the better excursions book up fast. Also I have read that people who book through Carnival get off the ship first so you need to keep in mind the time constraints. If you have to tender in to a port and you didn't book with Carnival you may be late getting back to the boat if you have a late start. So you just have to becareful. Good Luck and have fun on your cruise!!!

No where does the OP suggest "standing up" a private excursion. In fact, the OP is asking if the companies have booths to book after they arrive just to avoid standing up the vendor.

OP you will find vendors at the ports in Grand Cayman, Belize, and Cozumel. Roatan is controlled by Carnival and they do not allow the private vendors on the property except at a booth in one of the buildings. They pay Carnival to be therre so you really don't get a good deal.

It is very easy to get private excursion at all of the ports except Roatan after you arrive. With Roatan I would plan ahead.

thanks for the info. in response to some other posts, i do not intend on prebooking something and then not showing up (thats not cool). i think that i'll have do a little more research on individual ports and specific trips to see which ones i can sign up for at the port.

The one thing I like about prebooking independent excursions is that I am using tour operators who have been recommended here, and who can be trusted to do things right. The problem with just getting off the ship and picking at random is that you don't know if they're on the up and up (although I'm sure most are). And not all the trusted ones are right at the pier. An example is Moby Dick in Grand Cayman...great tour, but they are a couple of blocks to the left from the pier ( along with a number of other trusted operators). In Roatan (as has been mentioned), you will want to head off to the left as you get to the port area, go up the hill and on the other side, you will find a number of operators.

I wouldn't miss a chance to get out and see the islands...how often will you get a chance to do it? Lots of great things to do there. Enjoy your cruise...Legend is our favorite!:)

And not to throw a wrench into your planning, but when booking independant excursions, it can be important to know what the local time and the ship time are as Roatan/Belize don't observe Daylight Savings Time, so the time issue becomes confusing in the western caribbean. As illustrated in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=916513

A great tool for seeing time in other locations:

http://www.timeanddate.com/

First and foremost, the "ship time" is the most important time always remember it. All of the tour operators know what time to leave/pick up/drop off but just knowing when pre-booking alleviates a lot of stress.

When planning independant's on the Western Caribean route, most specifically Belize, I decided to use Carnival for an excursion (River/Altun Ha Ruins Tour). It is the only time I've gone on a cruise ship excursion for a number of factors. Good luck with planning, you will enjoy legend, great ship and itinerary.

Hi!

In Belize we used cave tubing . com They met us at the port and had an employee holding a sign that said "Major Tom". You could certainly go out to the port and ask to be included on the tour. They have several buses and expect extras. Very nice people and definitely a fun time!

In Grand Cayman we used native way watersports, they met us at the gazebo right outside the gate with clip board in hand. light blue shirts with collar. If you don't book ahead, go up and ask to be added...they will likely let you. I LOVED this excursion! Rum Point Beach is awesome.

We're going again on this itinerary 3/2012 and will likely try some other adventures but I wouldn't be upset if we did all the same things.

Have a great time!

The one thing I like about prebooking independent excursions is that I am using tour operators who have been recommended here, and who can be trusted to do things right. The problem with just getting off the ship and picking at random is that you don't know if they're on the up and up (although I'm sure most are). And not all the trusted ones are right at the pier. An example is Moby Dick in Grand Cayman...great tour, but they are a couple of blocks to the left from the pier ( along with a number of other trusted operators). In Roatan (as has been mentioned), you will want to head off to the left as you get to the port area, go up the hill and on the other side, you will find a number of operators.

I wouldn't miss a chance to get out and see the islands...how often will you get a chance to do it? Lots of great things to do there. Enjoy your cruise...Legend is our favorite!:)

I agree! I would never book an excursion at the pier........getting a taxi is one thing but not an excursion......

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

In Belize we used cave tubing . com They met us at the port and had an employee holding a sign that said "Major Tom". You could certainly go out to the port and ask to be included on the tour. They have several buses and expect extras. Very nice people and definitely a fun time!

In Grand Cayman we used native way watersports, they met us at the gazebo right outside the gate with clip board in hand. light blue shirts with collar. If you don't book ahead, go up and ask to be added...they will likely let you. I LOVED this excursion! Rum Point Beach is awesome.

We're going again on this itinerary 3/2012 and will likely try some other adventures but I wouldn't be upset if we did all the same things.

Have a great time!

this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks

I was on the April 17th Legend. Here's what I did:

1. Grand Cayman - pre-booked with Captain Marvin's. You do not have to pre-book, but if you do, you save $5 a person. You definitely could walk up there. When you get off at the tender dock, turn left and walk a little ways, they are just past the Dunkin donuts. Did Sting Ray City with one snorkeling stop. LOVED IT!
  2. Roatan - prebooked Clip and Zip ziplining. You did not have to pre-book, but I think they took my group ahead of one that did not pre-book. LOVED THIS TOO! Walking distance from beach. After we went and hung on the beach.
  3. Coz - took a taxi to Paradise Beach. No pre-book needed. $19 cab for 5 of us. Been here before and I love it.
  4. Belize - Pre-booked with cavetubing DOT bz. LOVED THEM TOO!:D They definitely took a few non- pre-bookers. I made sure my family was at the Follies Lounge at 7:30 AM, to catch tendering that started at 8 AM. They tender from 2 different spots of the ship. Carnival excursion went to one, non carnival went to another. I was on the 1st non carnival tender and was underway by 8:15. The tenders hold atleast 125 people.

Have a great trip! hope my input helps!

We sailed the same itinerary on Legend in 09. We enjoyed the ship/itinerary so much that are going again in September. I did a lot of research prior to our last cruise. I pre-booked two private excursions and booked two from the pier when we arrived. They went as follows:

• Grand Cayman- Pre-booked Island Tour w/ Cayman in a Nutshell. We ended up on a private tour. Just DH and I! Fantastic!
  • Cozumel - Pre Booked Playa Uvas. We took a cab from the pier and spent the day there. It really wasn't necessary to pre book.
  • Belize - We tendered to the port and booked a snorkel excursion with a random company. Turned out good, but my DH had to end up fixing the engine on their boat as it wouldn't start on our way back to port.(He's in this industry) This could have gone very badly!
  • Roatan- Took an Island Tour with Victor Boden which we didn't book until we arrived. Fantastic!

All in all, my advice is to do a lot of research and only take excursions with companies with great reviews on here and trip advisor. If you decide not to pre-book you'll just have to be flexible just in case you don't get the exact tour you want. Booking at the port is definitely possible. I'd just have a particular company in mind before you go.

Archived