The chair hogs hit a whole new low...

kelkel2

My husband and I were in the Kays on our recent cruise and we went to the food line and came back to someone in our chairs. The food lines were long so we were probably gone like 30 minutes. Our beach bag and towels were on the chair and the two women next to us knew we were still there, it's not like we would have left our stuff and went back to the ship. So we get back, and these women are sitting in our chairs, dripping wet on our dry towels and belongings and they said "oh they're back. We were just borrowing your chairs, hope you don't mind"

It took every effort in me to not get really really angry. I was like well, we were obviously coming back since our things are there. I really tried to not let this ruin my day in the kays, but we were both really in shock.

If they immediately gave you back the chairs, I'm not sure they can fairly be called "chair hogs". And to be honest, if you were gone for a whole half hour, I'm not convinced they did anything wrong.

I'd have to agree.....

Bob

Agree with the others, though they should have politely moved your things, but they did nothing wrong. If you're going to the buffet and leaving the chairs for over 30 minutes - I think YOU may have been the chair hogs...sorry

I think someone sitting on my things while they're soaking wet would get me pretty angry, too!

I think a half hour is too long to expect your chair to be empty when you get back though. If I had been waiting for a chair to open up and saw a chair empty for that long I would have set the belongings aside and sat down.

Sounds like you got a good deal because you had someone SAVE your chairs for you and gave them up after you returned.

That would have cost you at least a drink if I did that!

I really don't like the whole "save the chair" thing.

If we were going to the buffet one of us stays to save the chairs and then the other goes once the other returns. I can accept that.

EB

People, she didn't go to the buffet. She was on Princess Cay and went to get food at the barbeque. The line there is always long and I leave my things in the chair, too. It's hard to carry your stuff when you're getting your food. I think it's reasonable to expect your chair to be available after lunch in that situation.

So I'm allowed to just steal someone's chair when they go to the buffet line? I guess next time we wont eat lunch so we don't lose our chairs. You guys are ridiculous. I can't believe that we should lose our chairs because we wanted lunch at the Princess Kays. Everyone knows those lines get long and there is nothing we can do about that. What if we were in the ocean swimming for 30 minutes?

So basically the moral of the story is that unless I'm sunbathing in a chair I lose my chair?

People, she didn't go to the buffet. She was on Princess Cay and went to get food at the barbeque. The line there is always long and I leave my things in the chair, too. It's hard to carry your stuff when you're getting your food. I think it's reasonable to expect your chair to be available after lunch in that situation.

Thanks for the clarification, I think the OP didn't make that clear - or it appears that we were all confused.

I would say though that the people weren't "chair hogs" but very rude to take the chairs and use their belongings to "drip all over".

Agree with others.... 30 minutes is a long time to be away and still assume your chairs would be there. And people always under-estimate time when they might be at fault. I'm guessing you were really gone longer than 30. Sorry, just my opinion.

So I'm allowed to just steal someone's chair when they go to the buffet line? I guess next time we wont eat lunch so we don't lose our chairs. You guys are ridiculous. I can't believe that we should lose our chairs because we wanted lunch at the Princess Kays. Everyone knows those lines get long and there is nothing we can do about that. What if we were in the ocean swimming for 30 minutes?

So basically the moral of the story is that unless I'm sunbathing in a chair I lose my chair?

Easy does it - as you can see by the post above yours there was clarification that you were NOT on the ship - you were on the beach. Something I personally didn't understand when I posted before.

As mentioned in my post AFTER your post - you are right to be upset that they took your chairs.

I think your sentence above is a bit harsh though - you posted a question on a public forum, you're going to get opinions and they won't all be popular with you or make you feel like you're justified. If you don't want opinions, maybe posting here wasn't the best idea.

Agree with others.... 30 minutes is a long time to be away and still assume your chairs would be there. And people always under-estimate time when they might be at fault. I'm guessing you were really gone longer than 30. Sorry, just my opinion.

Ok, well next time you visit the Princess Kays I will be sure to find you chair when you have been in the food line too long. I mean geesh we were on the island not the ship. We can't help how long the lines are.

I did not say that you should lose your chair. I am saying that if I wanted to save my chair FOR SURE, one of us would stay and the other go to the food line, buffet, pool, restroom what ever, where ever.

I think it is the way that saving chairs, tables and places in line has become a norm that has made us all act this way.

Kind of sad I think.

EB

all I'm saying is there is a lot of hating of "chair hogs" but I think it's important to realize that people could be using their chairs and not be physically in them.

I think yes, it's unfair for someone to get up early in the morning ON THE SHIP and leave a towel and a pair of shoes so that when they are ready to go to the pool 3 hours from then they still have a chair.

But, I do think it's important to remember that although some people may not be physically in the chair that doesn't mean they are not at the pool, in the pool or even in the ocean enjoying themselves.

the OP's posting was very obvious to me from the start. She stated

she was in the Cays, which I took to mean Princess Cays, and yes, OP,

I completely agree with you being upset about being scammed out of your

chairs. When we arrive at Princess Cays, we seek out a nice chair,

make sure to get on the earliest tender over there so that we can have

a prime spot. We utilize the chairs for a while, then swim around for awhile, then get in line at the buffet FOR AWHILE and expect our chairs

to be there for us when we return with our food. Why should one of us

have to remain behind to save the chair if we both want to eat?

Give me a break to those of you who state that the OP had exceeded her

limit. I would have been very mad if someone sat in my chair and had

dripped all over my belongings. Those women who stole the OP's chairs

knew they had done wrong since they vacated the chairs as soon as

the OP returned. It took a lot of gall to sit on someone else's personal

property and get it all wet.

If that had been my chair I would have told them off. That's just

me. :eek:

Perhaps a lot of posters haven't been to Princess Cays so they don't

understand the set-up over there. Truthfully, there's always been a chair

somewhere on Princess Cays; it just involves walking a long way.

I guess one thing I would like to point out is that is not "your" chair. It is a chair you were using. When someone saw that you weren't using it anymore they decided to sit down. (Granted they were very rude to get your things all wet. There's no excuse for that!)

If you wanted to make sure those chairs would still be available when you got back one of you should have stayed behind to let others know that the seats were still being used.

It's the same if you're both out for a swim for a half hour. You are no longer using the chair, you're swimming!

I guess one thing I would like to point out is that is not "your" chair. It is a chair you were using. When someone saw that you weren't using it anymore they decided to sit down. (Granted they were very rude to get your things all wet. There's no excuse for that!)

If you wanted to make sure those chairs would still be available when you got back one of you should have stayed behind to let others know that the seats were still being used.

It's the same if you're both out for a swim for a half hour. You are no longer using the chair, you're swimming!

Actually, yes, it is "her" chair for the duration that she reserved it, actually. I think it's patently ridiculous of some to say that you shouldn't have a spot to put your things while you're swimming. Does that mean

you should never be able to reserve anything, be it a train seat or

an airplane seat on southwest, which by the way, is open seating?

Using your theory, someone could effectively boot me out of my

plane seat on Southwest if I get up and go to the bathroom.

The OP didn't disappear for hours, and even if she did, so what?

First come, first served. Maybe you don't understand that Princess Cays

has thousands of chairs, some in better locations than others.

Therefore, there was no reason for those women to park their carcasses

on the OP's chair when there were probably plenty of other chairs,

albeit in less desirable areas, at the Cays.

Heck, sometimes it takes me 15 to 20 minutes in the restroom. Why

should my chair be forfeitted because of that?

Ok, well I guess I'm in the minority. Didn't realize that. All my husband and I wanted was to have our last day of vacation spent together. The lines are long and we didn't want to wait in the lines and eat separately so our food didn't get cold waiting for the other in line. I think when you are at the Princess Cays the same "rules" don't apply.

I guess I assumed the chairs we were using would be safe from being taken. We weren't trying to hold them all day, just while we were using the beach. There are PLENTY of chairs on the island to not have to use one someone else is using. But, I'm sorry I do think that if you go for a swim in the ocean, even for 15 minutes or 30 minutes you should be able to come back to the chair you were siting in and lay out and dry off.

I would never dream of saving a pool chair on the ship and go to the buffet line and come back, but I feel like the Cays is different. You can't really take your stuff back to your room and I was coming back as quickly as I could get through the line.

OK, What the hell is Cays so I know what I am arguing about! LOL!

EB

PS I did not take your chair! As a matter of fact at this point I would be afraid to.

The Cays is short for "Princess Cays" which is the private island that Princess owns in the bahamas. It's a private beach with probably over 3,000 chairs. It also has bars, shops, and a few buffet lines for burgers and hotdogs.

Oh and for the record, I was very polite to the people who were in our chairs. I was never mean to them and they left the chairs without any issues.

Actually, yes, it is "her" chair for the duration that she reserved it,

I really didn't even need to read the remainder of the comment, since there is absolutely no "reserving" of chairs supposed to happen either on the ship or on the island. The chairs are placed there for people to use, if they're empty or have been empty for a time they're open for someone else to use. The people were nice enough to get up when the OP returned, which they really didn't have to. They, however, should have moved the items out of the way so they weren't impacted. How were they supposed to know you were only gone for 30 minutes (or longer, I know those lines on Princess Cay also), did the other women next to you specifically tell them? Personally, I go and get lunch for my wife and myself and bring it back while she stays with the chairs.

Archived