Alcohol Consumption for 18-21 year olds

PAFC

There is a very good reason why RCO prohibits alcohol for passengers under the age of 21 -- if they didn't, the cruises could turn into year-round spring break fiascos with hundreds of high school and college age kids throwing up, fighting and getting raunchy, like they are cast members on Jersey Shore. I don't understand why any parent would happily allow minors to drink on a cruise. Does anybody out there agree?

Adults aged 18-20 can drink alcohol on Royal Caribbean ships if their parents or legal guardian sign a waiver when the ships is sailing from a European Port.

Adults in the UK are allowed to drink at 18 years old....legally.

We dont have Spring Break like in the US.

There is a very good reason why RCO prohibits alcohol for passengers under the age of 21 -- if they didn't, the cruises could turn into year-round spring break fiascos with hundreds of high school and college age kids throwing up, fighting and getting raunchy, like they are cast members on Jersey Shore. I don't understand why any parent would happily allow minors to drink on a cruise. Does anybody out there agree?

That is just crazy, just because you have alcohol it does mean a person will have to get drunk.

Do you think once you are 21 a peson is more mature?

Most of the problem is because American make it a sin to drink before they are 21. If you can not have more you want it.

Here it is

so if someone grandparents signed it, they did so fraudulently

I signed for my grandson, on Navigator of the Seas, at the Guest Relations desk, and there was no fraud involved. I simply asked if I could and they told me yes. Did that on 2 cruises, different staff.

I signed for my grandson, on Navigator of the Seas, at the Guest Relations desk, and there was no fraud involved. I simply asked if I could and they told me yes.

Seems simple enough that if you signed the form identical to the one in the link provided (which states a parent is signing), then you lied about being your grandson's parent. Just saying.

Seems simple enough that if you signed the form identical to the one in the link provided (which states a parent is signing), then you lied about being your grandson's parent. Just saying.

Since you were not there and you don't know me I resent your comment that I lied. I asked if I could sign it as his grandparent and was told Yes, sure. So I did. There was no fraud and no lying.

lol

I've been known to break a few rules in my day and can honestly say that I would have no problems signing a form like this for a friend of my son's that I bring along.:D In Canada the legal drinking age is 18 or 19 depending on which province you are in. It is only the Americans that have this hangup about the drinking age of 21.:rolleyes: I would sign the form & make sure that they drank responsibly & would not have any guilt whatsoever about signing the form as a "parent". I also know that I'm gonna live forever!!!;):D

I expected to, but signed no waiver, for my 20 year old when cruising the Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition last May, seeing the cruise fare includes liquor I thought for sure they would want a parents' permission, but since it was an Ecuadorian ship it probably did not matter.

BTW.. the policy on RCI was changed about 8 years ago, prior it was 18 when in international waters.

I think the policy changed because of all those wild Canadian and British cruisers;);)

There is a very good reason why RCO prohibits alcohol for passengers under the age of 21 -- if they didn't, the cruises could turn into year-round spring break fiascos with hundreds of high school and college age kids throwing up, fighting and getting raunchy, like they are cast members on Jersey Shore.

I totally understand why RCI restricts the sale of alcohol to under 21's for cruises from the US. As you say 'spring breakers' would soon get out of control. But the OP's question relatates to a cruise from the UK - we don't have a spring break and going on a cruise with college friends is not something teens do here so it is a slightly different situation.

I don't understand why any parent would happily allow minors to drink on a cruise.

It's not a case of the parents allowing it. At 19, the boyfriend is an adult and doesn't need his parents permission to drink alcohol. They are not responsible for him - he is legally responsible for himself.

What I don't get is why RCI asks for parents' permission? Strictly speaking, parents have no authority so their 'permission' wouldn't count for anything anyway?

And finally, spring break seems to be something quite commonplace in the States but reading these boards there is something I've often wondered ... LOL :) how on earth can teenagers afford to go on cruises?

They're adults, I dont even understand how Royal Caribbean enforces this. It really is the dumbest rule ever, you can drink bascially anywhere else in the world at 19 other than America. You can also sign your own waivers for anything else in america at 18 too. The whole waiver thing makes no sense, what does it even say on the waiver?

It is their ship and they can enforce any rules they please. You don't get to decide which rules are dumb. Many who thought otherwise have been put off at the next port.

Im not sure(and I bet someone can help you),but this line just cracks me up:D:D:D His parents are happy:confused: he drinks...

When a British person says someone is "happy" about something, it doesn't mean they're doing the happy dance. It just means that they're fine with it and don't have a problem or issue. So, when the OP says "his parents are happy he does", this roughly translates to "his parents don't have a problem with their 19 year old son having a drink".

A court must have given her legal guardianship to you and you should have documentation to show this, otherwise she would be a ward of court. So long as you prove you are her legal guardians you can sign the waiver.

emdia - they are not parents, they are grandparents. Grandparents are not allowed to sign the waiver. I'm not sure how you got away with this ......... perhaps you look very young LOL :)

Sorry but this is not true - we did not have to apply to be her Legal Guardian. We do have 'Residence' but RC seemed unsure of this. We had previously cruised on Thomson, Ocean Village, Celebrity and indeed twice with Royal Caribbean without any problems.

Sorry but this is not true - we did not have to apply to be her Legal Guardian. We do have 'Residence' but RC seemed unsure of this. We had previously cruised on Thomson, Ocean Village, Celebrity and indeed twice with Royal Caribbean without any problems.

You don't need a court or a lawyer to get temp Guardianship. It needs to be in writing giving you permission to act as the guardian. Get it signed by the parents and stop worrying. Take a couple of copies of the signed letter. Obviously if the guy gets drunk you will be responsible for his actions which could mean you could be off loaded. But I'm pretty sure he probably won't be. Especially when he sees the prices!!!! Kimberley

I agree with you. I do not encourage drinking by anyone especially someone not yet 21.

I love the comments about being able to do whatever they want. This is not legally true, especially if the ship only sails on an itinerary in the EU. This becomes a little more ambiguous if the itinerary includes a non-EU port (Tunis, Istanbul, Dubrovnik, etc.).

I also love all of the people manifesting their prudish attitude for the 21st century that they don't believe that people under 21 should be allowed to drink. I love this from a country that doesn't allow people to drink if they are under 21, but has no problem with them getting killed in Irak or Afghanistan.

People who behave irresponsibly can be put off the ship at age 18, 21, or 90, so I do think that Royal Caribbean should respect the laws of where they are sailing, and not treat everything as if it were the United States.

The fact is that I don't believe anyone has exerted the mental and financial resources of taking the cruise line to court over this issue, but I find it legally ambiguous for a cruise line to say you can't drink at 18 if the cruise line is only sailing in waters where the legal drinking age is this age.

Also, dear friends, this is the 21st century and the cruise line should be careful of its use of the word "married" when stating their requirements for boarding at certain ages, because the word "married" has different legal connotations in many parts of the world, especially here in the EU, nowadays.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

They're adults, I dont even understand how Royal Caribbean enforces this. It really is the dumbest rule ever, you can drink bascially anywhere else in the world at 19 other than America. You can also sign your own waivers for anything else in america at 18 too. The whole waiver thing makes no sense, what does it even say on the waiver?

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion about this being a stupid rule. But at the same time RCI as the owner of the ship is totally with setting rules you think are stupid. If they wished they could set and enforce a rule to say minimum drinking age is 50 and the only way around is a signed waiver of your grandgrandparents. Kepp in mind I´m not talking about if this is a wise business decision or not. It´s just their ship, their rules. If you don´t like them take your money elsewhere. If they think they lose money on a rule they might eventually rethink it.

As for the argument about spring breakers in the US and the UK not having a spring break like this - let´s face it, the same bad reputation spring breakers in the US have, have the Brits all over Europe in vacation resorts in regards to getting drunk all year round. I´m sorry if this offends the Brits and I´m not saying it´s true or not, just as I´m not saying it´s true or not about spring breakers in the US. It´s also not something I state as my opinion or as a fact, it´s something I state as a widely spread public opinion spread throughout the media.

We were on the Diamond Princess at Christmas time and our son who is 19 was not allowed to drink on this ship even though it departed its cruise from Australia and was returning to Australia, they told us because it was a US ship the drinking age was 21

Needless to say our son was not happy as we were on the ship for New Years Eve aswell. He still had a good time but would loved to have had a drink

He was allowed to go to the night club if he showed ID but still no drinking.

The cruise lines love to say it's a U.S. ship when it suits them. They also love to say it's a "Bahamas", or "Panama" or other "tax haven" registered ship when it suits them (flaunting and avoiding the labor laws and pollution laws of most western countries, paying taxes, etc.).

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I know that in the drinking age was 18 on Royal Caribbean 6 years ago because my daughter was 18 at the time and she was "legal" on the ship. I don't think you can say the drinking age is 21 because that is the US limit...it wasn't always that way. Personally, I think the cruise lines would love to benefit from the revenue generate from alcohol sales to this age group.

It just became a bad business decision. The liability to allow 18-20 year olds to consume outweighed the benefit of the increased revenue. I don't think it was a desire to adopt the US drinking age as much as a desire to decrease liability. Or maybe it is because this is not a demographic they are interested in attracting...still a business decision, not a political one.

It seems as if all cruise lines are inching the drinking age up to 21..I think NCL still allows 18-20 year olds to consume beer and wine with a signed waiver. The only cruise line I know of that has retained a drinking age of 18 is Oceania and that might have changed. As a cruise line determines that it is in their financial best interest to raise the drinking age, they will.

There is a minimum age to book a cabin, a minimum age to rent a car etc. Companies make these business decisions every day. As long as a business can show good reason for setting an age limit, they are legally entitled to do so, at least in the US.

If you wish to sail on Saga cruises you have to be over the age of 50. You may be accomapnied by a travel over the age of 40.

Wow. I find that very interesting! I know there are communities where you have to be over 50 but a cruise ship....

It seems as if all cruise lines are inching the drinking age up to 21..I think NCL still allows 18-20 year olds to consume beer and wine with a signed waiver. The only cruise line I know of that has retained a drinking age of 18 is Oceania and that might have changed. As a cruise line determines that it is in their financial best interest to raise the drinking age, they will.

There is a minimum age to book a cabin, a minimum age to rent a car etc. Companies make these business decisions every day. As long as a business can show good reason for setting an age limit, they are legally entitled to do so, at least in the US.

Yes, I think it is a business decision and when I think back to when I was 18 to 20 that was when I sowed my wild oats, did dangerous stuff and did some of the stupidest things. ( that the drinking age was 18 when I was 18 was part of it) So I think liability and experience with that age group is why they have made their business decision even though they lose the revenue of selling drinks.

This may well be the behaviour of US passengers between the ages of 18-21, however in the UK (as per OP) they are adults at 18; able to vote and fight for their country. We do not stereotype, however that could be as we do not have ' spring break Jersey Shore (??) wannabees' sailing from Southampton so RCI needs to stop judging UK passengers sailng from UK as Americans.

This may well be the behaviour of US passengers between the ages of 18-21, however in the UK (as per OP) they are adults at 18; able to vote and fight for their country. We do not stereotype, however that could be as we do not have ' spring break Jersey Shore (??) wannabees' sailing from Southampton so RCI needs to stop judging UK passengers sailng from UK as Americans.

In the US age 18 is adult, can vote, and can be in the military and fight too. Some do think the legal drinking age should be the same as the legal age because of the military question and voting. I don't think the legal age and legal drinking age has to be the same but that is my personal opinion.

I doubt that US and UK 18 year olds are that different but as far as the Royal Caribbean drinking age------- if you don't like it you can sail a cruise line with a lower age if you don't like the RCL policy. There are RCL policies I don't agree with. I think thier smoking policy should be more restrictive. I tell them i think so but in the meantime I live with it and keep booking. No one is forcing you or me to book with Royal Caribbean.

There are RCL policies I don't agree with. I think thier smoking policy should be more restrictive. I tell them i think so but in the meantime I live with it and keep booking. No one is forcing you or me to book with Royal Caribbean.

Then you should sail out of the UK as that is one of our laws that they do apply. On Indy you can only smoke outside on deck 4 & 12 and inside on deck 4 of the labyrinth.

As they are a us ship why don't they say smoke anyware as they do in the us.

Archived